What's new

I'm trying to like this game...

Let me start by saying I'm a huge MK fan since the 90s. I was very much looking forward to this game and do love the fight mechanics...

That being said... The design (so far) is not great... Like at all.

I know everyone is complaining about the "grind" and I agree, but it's like.... "Here's ALL these cool skins and cosmetics and intros and weapons etc .. but you start with basically none of them BUT AT LEAST YOU CAN SEE THEM IN KUSTOMISE! oh and if you want to unlock some of the cool shit you're going to have to spend lots of time guessing in the krypt and spending money.. possibly real money."

It's just flawed. I actually like the Injustice 2 system better, where you get pieces if gear and whatnot just for playing...as opposed to just getting coins which are randomly spent in the Krypt.

That's my bigest gripe. Give me some cool shit to play with and modify around to start out and then make me work for the rare stuff, don't make me work for everything (you don't even get any reward for beating a characters tower)

Secondly... I hate the towers of time. Not because of the grind.. because of the modifiers. I've never been a fan and now it's force fed to us in order to advance in the game or to get any cool gear.

I hate to say it. . but I'm already waiting for the XL version that has everything unlocked so we can just play the game with all the gear, Intros, brutalities, etc.

And lastly... Not a gripe just a missed opportunity, I wish they would have added a new fatality this go sround. 9 had babality, 10 brought back brutality. How did this one not include either friendship or animalities?

I see your point. First when I saw the title I thought it was about the mechanics and overall balance, which up until this point, with a few exceptions, I'm not having problems with (I'm just labbing the cast and it has been super fun). Now tackling your point: as I said again, I understand you, but don't lose your hope just yet. NRS listens to us, they changed online once, changed patch ratios and so much more. I believe something like fixing the towers/acquiring items is far less a problem than what we had back in the day. Remember, the game is just a few days out, and its lifespan will be at least a year and a half. There's a lot of good (and bad things) to happen. Let's keep pushing and they'll change what we don't like.

Youre still gonna have to unlock everything in the XL version. That only includes all DLC lol. They have already done alot of fixing to towers of time and are giving out free rewards for the krypt and giving us more kurrency so relax

FaneBlackwing

Best in the West
I wish they would've gone about the krypt in more of a puzzle solving = rewards/cosmetics direction rather than a bunch of chests laying all over the place that costs in-game currency.

It'd be really awesome to unlock cosmetics and such at your own pace rather than suffer through towers only to go in and unlock a couple of chests with unknown contents.

Also I agree 100%, I much prefer Injustice 2's loot box system. Sure, it was frustrating to get that one gear piece you really wanted, but you ALWAYS got boxes for doing just about anything in the game, credits came easily(I still have over like 2 million), and Gold boxes didn't cost an arm and a leg to open and had good chances of dropping epic gear.

HAMMER

Noob
Agreed.

I liked in Mortal Kombat when you had to:

1. Beat Arcade Tower with your character to unlock the second skin.
  2. Beat Konquest to unlock everything.
  3. Had two costumes.
  4. Had one intro.
All of this complex shit is just to try and wow a consumer with an inferior product.

This game is kind of cool in the visuals; but that's a trick, the visuals don't equal fun game play.

Also, where are the Animalities? They should've brought those back. They were the best form of non-fatalities back in the days of MK3/UMK3/MK Trilogy.

Bringing back "Mercy" without Animalities is like having Peanut Butter & Jelly without the bread!!

I much prefer Injustice 2's loot box system. Sure, it was frustrating to get that one gear piece you really wanted, but you ALWAYS got boxes for doing just about anything in the game, credits came easily(I still have over like 2 million), and Gold boxes didn't cost an arm and a leg to open and had good chances of dropping epic gear.
But in Inj2 you could get duplicate gear from the boxes, and some people reported that they never got all the special moves they wanted during the games lifespan

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I’m trying to like this game and I do. Maybe try focusing on the things you think is fun instead of the negative bullshit people are obsessing over. It might take you awhile to get that skin, fuck it, use something else. It’s almost like people plan on playing something else in a few weeks lol. I’m going to be playing this for years so I don’t see what the big deal is. Is this an instant gratification thing?

Yeah, I really miss being able to just a Mortal Kombat game without having to rely on paying extra money on skins, unlockables, and other things. I also realize that I suck on online in this game, but on MKX's online, I would kill mad people without even trying. I was one of those players that didn't really block during matches lol. But as everyone else is saying, the game is still fresh and there will be more updates. I hope NRS does not disappoint.

You have to dedicate a trillion of hours in towers and develop bad playing habits fighting randomly and avoiding missiles, while the core game's design is all about thinking and neutral.
Nice vicious circle.

FaneBlackwing

Best in the West
But in Inj2 you could get duplicate gear from the boxes, and some people reported that they never got all the special moves they wanted during the games lifespan
Which they would've solved entirely in MK11 by having distinct gear and specials unlocked from the start.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Between the outright lies about the variation system and the Krypt, and turning grinding and leveling up into a literally painful chore, not even just in difficulty but by putting mods on all the Towers that are completely counterproductive to learning to play the game the right way, I can't believe people are still defending the mess this game has been released as like there isn't anything to be upset about. Unless you're a paid shill or you just like getting under peoples' skin, I don't see how you look at all this and just smile like nothing's wrong.

Will it get better eventually? Probably. Destiny 2 did. No Man's Sky did. I'm sure things will improve as time goes on. But this feels less and less like MK is supposed to feel, and more and more like just another rushed cash grab of a game.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Let me start by saying I'm a huge MK fan since the 90s. I was very much looking forward to this game and do love the fight mechanics...

That being said... The design (so far) is not great... Like at all.

I know everyone is complaining about the "grind" and I agree, but it's like.... "Here's ALL these cool skins and cosmetics and intros and weapons etc .. but you start with basically none of them BUT AT LEAST YOU CAN SEE THEM IN KUSTOMISE! oh and if you want to unlock some of the cool shit you're going to have to spend lots of time guessing in the krypt and spending money.. possibly real money."

It's just flawed. I actually like the Injustice 2 system better, where you get pieces if gear and whatnot just for playing...as opposed to just getting coins which are randomly spent in the Krypt.

That's my bigest gripe. Give me some cool shit to play with and modify around to start out and then make me work for the rare stuff, don't make me work for everything (you don't even get any reward for beating a characters tower)

Secondly... I hate the towers of time. Not because of the grind.. because of the modifiers. I've never been a fan and now it's force fed to us in order to advance in the game or to get any cool gear.

I hate to say it. . but I'm already waiting for the XL version that has everything unlocked so we can just play the game with all the gear, Intros, brutalities, etc.

And lastly... Not a gripe just a missed opportunity, I wish they would have added a new fatality this go sround. 9 had babality, 10 brought back brutality. How did this one not include either friendship or animalities?
Featured Items shows up with randoms every so often, so you do get to buy shit without grinding for it, at least.

Maybe try focusing on the things you think is fun instead of the negative bullshit people are obsessing over.
I hate when people say shit like this. Its like saying ‘Try focusing on the rollercoaster ride and not the kid in front puking on you’ If something is ruining your experience, attempting to ignore it is not always the solution, and sometimes there are things that draw you out of the experience and make it unenjoyable.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I actually like the Injustice 2 system better, where you get pieces if gear and whatnot just for playing...as opposed to just getting coins which are randomly spent in the Krypt.
Nope, disagree. Injustice 2's "skins" and the system they come from can suck my nuts. Every single character only had one with slight variations that didn't feel different at all. Not a single character in MK11 is that bad, not even Cassie, who is an embarrassment by MK11 standards.

I agree with the broader point that there are not enough rewards to keep you satisfied as you play, though.

I'm shocked that I'm not being showered with augments. I'd have thought I'd have 50 augments for every slot by now and would be switching between the ones that give nut punch +1.5% damage or the ones that give shadow kick +2.1%. Since they don't take any effort to make, just copy+paste plus change some numbers. But no, I don't even have enough augments to fill every item in my 3 custom Johnnies (even though some of them share gear). That would have been the easiest and laziest solution to helping players feel like they're making progress. It speaks to how incompetently (rushed) the "loop" was put together that they missed even an opportunity like this to keep us motivated.

Youre still gonna have to unlock everything in the XL version. That only includes all DLC lol. They have already done alot of fixing to towers of time and are giving out free rewards for the krypt and giving us more kurrency so relax
Wasn't it MKXL where they had an option in the store to unlock all Krypt items for like $20? That.... That's what I'm waiting for in this game. F that Krypt grind - I just wanna create variations and fight online/towers without gd modifiers.

I don't mind the tower grind if you could turn these off.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I hate when people say shit like this. Its like saying ‘Try focusing on the rollercoaster ride and not the kid in front puking on you’ If something is ruining your experience, attempting to ignore it is not always the solution, and sometimes there are things that draw you out of the experience and make it unenjoyable.
Then quit. What’s left to say at that point if you aren’t enjoying yourself? What do you want us to do? Beg for you to like the game? Or just ignore your bitching because that’s become harder to do on this site.

I’m trying to like this game and I do. Maybe try focusing on the things you think is fun instead of the negative bullshit people are obsessing over. It might take you awhile to get that skin, fuck it, use something else. It’s almost like people plan on playing something else in a few weeks lol. I’m going to be playing this for years so I don’t see what the big deal is. Is this an instant gratification thing?
Yeah but if the main change/selling point of this game from previous titles is customization, don't make me play near-impossible amounts of hours to unlock all the shit that I want.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I'm going to preface this by saying I like the idea of fucking Tarkatans.

Having said that, I'm enjoying the game a lot for its mechanics and characters. The excessive grinding is awful, but I already know I'm not going to unlock not even all the intros or victory poses, so...

It's a great game, one of the best rosters ever. Tainted by WBs doings.