What's new

Strategy I'm free to D+4

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
You'd think it's just karma from me using Mileena, but I cannot get a grasp on how to approach Sonya, and lately I feel completely helpless against her.

I'm scared to jump in because of her standing 1 and armor, I'm scared to poke out of pressure because of her dive kick and armor, and I'm scared to get close because of the range on her D+4 and what she is granted if it even connects on block... and armor.

So, I find myself walking aimlessly back and forth right outside of D+4 range, where even if she whiffs it I'm too far away to do anything, then she'll starting zoning with her safe, little onion rings which recover before I can even get in on her to do anything about it.

I main Mileena, Kitana, and Sindel so I know getting lifelead is important, but I feel like this matchup is just one giant guessing game of reads for my characters where if I guess wrong I'm eating at least 40% into standing reset. I'm not trying to start a matchup discussion, I'd just like some tips from the Sonya mains on how to approach her, because yeah, at this point I feel like I can't do anything right against her.

Mileena should be able to whiff punish D4s with a roll on reaction, and Kit can obviously do F21, although that would be more on a read.
Dunno about Sindel. :/

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
You have to bait her D4 so it whiffs and punish it. If you read a dive kick you can block and punish it with most characters.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I don't like Sonya.

She is a useless bimbo.
Excellent knowledge JK

Anyway I never fear taking on any character regardless, personally Noob gives me more problems than anyone. When I face off with Sonya I try a defensive approach and do my best to punish her and as hard as possible. I may just have to do alil research on the useage of Sonya, for a while I was actually using a bit more than normal.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I wouldn't be too afraid to jump. jk~fan is good against Sonya's standing 1. When I play Sonya's they give up trying to AA with normals it and just use uppercut.

Whiff punishing a whiffed d+4 with f+2,1 is harder than it sounds. Beware of the f+2 hitting and being so far the second hit whiffs and you get blown up. To be honest it's more viable to throw the f+2,1 out and have it stuff their d+4 attempt.

Use d+1 and d+3 to stuff her d+4. They are faster. You don't get the guessing game off them like she does but they have similar range and you're able to get yours out first. This is what you want to do more so than trying to block a d+4. Also since the Sonya players are going to be hitting buttons after doing their d+4 because they get pressure on block/hit it can be good to do stuff like d+1~cutter in footsies.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Is TC even referring to the Sonya MU offline? Because online, D4 is fucking hard to whiff punish, if not impossible, if you have my sort of connection. Only thing that saved me from time to time were risky Smoke Bombs...

like 16 bit said, I think sonya has to resort to uppercuts to anti air jumpkicks, some characters can bait and whiff punish uppercuts or atleast make them block a string for whiffing something when they are at disadvantage.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
x18x2xwildx

I can't tell you how to contend with Sonya's d4 as Sindel, and GGA 16 Bit already covered Kitana, but I can tell you a few things from Mileena's point of view, having explored her as a character somewhat.

If the Sonya is recklessly whiffing her d4 to get in, it's a Ball Roll for you. She should never just be throwing out braindead d4s against a player who knows how to punish whiffed moves. Only throw them out if they're within range to hit. You should also be using your d4 to control space, although you won't get guaranteed chip like how Sonya does (unless you're willing to take a risk with a special, which I don't advise).

As much as I hate to say this, Mileena has almost no chance in Hell against a top-notch Sonya. Her mix-ups off a blocked jump-in punch are completely out of the question due to Sonya's armor AND her seven-frame standing 1 (I have attacked a Mileena out of her u4 off a jump-in using Nightwolf's jab offline). If you are going for offensive off a jump-in (you better pray you score one against a character with godlike anti-airs such as a seven-frame jab/uppercut and a safe enhanced move with armor leading to a standing reset), always use 2 3 4 and mix up your variations with the string, then get the Hell away. She has to play a hit-and-run approach against Sonya. Yeah...lots of work.

Also, keep your distance and throw those instant-air sais out to build that meter so you'll have breakers on hand, but watch yourself so you don't get cornered. If you do...you've lost. Only armor Mileena has is on her X-ray, and her Wake-Ups...well...they suck. 'Nuff said.

Make sure the opponent respects your Ball Roll. It's an unsafe special and only gives you damage equal to a quarter-bar of health, but the damage will stack if the Sonya player is not careful. Just don't get reckless with it.

Mileena's low damage output worsens her chances, compared to Sonya's gargantuan damage without meter.

With the divekick being so fast as a special move, I know it may make you nervous to poke, but try to be patient and learn to bait it. Sonyas who recklessly abuse divekick will eat a full combo every time. Don't whiff pokes against her or you leave yourself very vulnerable.

Unless you like uphill match-ups such as these, I don't think it's worth testing these waters with Mileena.

Others are free to add to this as they please.

TheSpore

x18x2xwildx

I can't tell you how to contend with Sonya's d4 as Sindel, and GGA 16 Bit already covered Kitana, but I can tell you a few things from Mileena's point of view, having explored her as a character somewhat.

If the Sonya is recklessly whiffing her d4 to get in, it's a Ball Roll for you. She should never just be throwing out braindead d4s against a player who knows how to punish whiffed moves. Only throw them out if they're within range to hit. You should also be using your d4 to control space, although you won't get guaranteed chip like how Sonya does (unless you're willing to take a risk with a special, which I don't advise).

As much as I hate to say this, Mileena has almost no chance in Hell against a top-notch Sonya. Her mix-ups off a blocked jump-in punch are completely out of the question due to Sonya's armor AND her seven-frame standing 1 (I have attacked a Mileena out of her u4 off a jump-in using Nightwolf's jab offline). If you are going for offensive off a jump-in (you better pray you score one against a character with godlike anti-airs such as a seven-frame jab/uppercut and a safe enhanced move with armor leading to a standing reset), always use 2 3 4 and mix up your variations with the string, then get the Hell away. She has to play a hit-and-run approach against Sonya. Yeah...lots of work.

Also, keep your distance and throw those instant-air sais out to build that meter so you'll have breakers on hand, but watch yourself so you don't get cornered. If you do...you've lost. Only armor Mileena has is on her X-ray, and her Wake-Ups...well...they suck. 'Nuff said.

Make sure the opponent respects your Ball Roll. It's an unsafe special and only gives you damage equal to a quarter-bar of health, but the damage will stack if the Sonya player is not careful. Just don't get reckless with it.

Mileena's low damage output worsens her chances, compared to Sonya's gargantuan damage without meter.

With the divekick being so fast as a special move, I know it may make you nervous to poke, but try to be patient and learn to bait it. Sonyas who recklessly abuse divekick will eat a full combo every time. Don't whiff pokes against her or you leave yourself very vulnerable.

Unless you like uphill match-ups such as these, I don't think it's worth testing these waters with Mileena.

Others are free to add to this as they please.
Considering Mileena is my main, you provided this old man with wealth on knowledge, thank good kind sir, thank you.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Considering Mileena is my main, you provided this old man with wealth on knowledge, thank good kind sir, thank you.
No problem.

x18x2xwildx

One thing I forgot to add, something that Sonyas don't do very often is use the shoulder charge from her Military Stance (2). It's an unbelievably impressive move that covers half-screen distance and causes a knockdown on hit - and yes, it's safe. Be wary of Sonyas who use that move, for you can be sure it's going to give Mileena some hassle when trying to control space.

TheSpore

No problem.

x18x2xwildx

One thing I forgot to add, something that Sonyas don't do very often is use the shoulder charge from her Military Stance (2). It's an unbelievably impressive move that covers half-screen distance and causes a knockdown on hit - and yes, it's safe. Be wary of Sonyas who use that move, for you can be sure it's going to give Mileena some hassle when trying to control space.
Duelly noted, though you are correct about the stance moves I rarely see any of them being used in a game.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I wouldn't be too afraid to jump. jk~fan is good against Sonya's standing 1. When I play Sonya's they give up trying to AA with normals it and just use uppercut.

Whiff punishing a whiffed d+4 with f+2,1 is harder than it sounds. Beware of the f+2 hitting and being so far the second hit whiffs and you get blown up. To be honest it's more viable to throw the f+2,1 out and have it stuff their d+4 attempt.

Use d+1 and d+3 to stuff her d+4. They are faster. You don't get the guessing game off them like she does but they have similar range and you're able to get yours out first. This is what you want to do more so than trying to block a d+4. Also since the Sonya players are going to be hitting buttons after doing their d+4 because they get pressure on block/hit it can be good to do stuff like d+1~cutter in footsies.
Damn this guy knows what he is talking about. I come in this thread ready to talk about things kitana can do to sonya, but here it all is. Seriously though, jik airfan is your best friend in this matchup. If you space it correctly, all sonya can do is uppercut, and she has to react pretty quickly to the spacing so it is tough. Same for mileena with jik sai, although I don't see mileena players doing that for some reason.