What's new

Strategy I'm an idiot for not having KL as a secondary, maybe we all are.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
They said the same thing before PL breezed through EVO with tele3
Yeah but he hasn't really been achieving lately with him. People are avoiding his high strings more and punishing his mobility tools more consistently now.

Besides, PL's Lao was no secondary.

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
Yeah but he hasn't really been achieving lately with him. People are avoiding his high strings more and punishing his mobility tools more consistently now.

Besides, PL's Lao was no secondary.
People still block low against Black Adam during pressure strings. No one knows the Lao matchup :(

Zyphox, with all due respect, this is one of the most retarded posts i've ever seen, but sadly it is emblematic of the posts that have been on this site recently. Here's what you're endorsing:
1) success over fun (why do we play games again? i guess to win)
2) abandoning what we love
3) lying to ourselves about injustice ("mixups take skill" LOL LBSH, KF autopilot with zero thinking is still better than 90% of the cast)
4) suggesting that troy has no skill (he's actually fundamentally very good, but... dare i say it... http://testyourmight.com/threads/do-injustice-players-have-fundamentals.33482/ )
5) Accepting something gamebreaking because everyone in the cast has it
6) Picking a character only if they're high tier
Are you seriously complaining about top tier characters and mixups. Why are you even playing fighting games. Why are you here. Why do you exist.

I love cage, he's awesome. Love the awesome footsies, walk speed, dash speed etc. But he does get bodied in a few match ups, namely Kabal and Kenshi. Then loses to freddy and maybe sub zero. If you look at his losing Match ups.. there is NO and I mean NO reason not to have KL as a secondary. I have known this for a long time but have been to lazy to really try and get good with KL. Plus you really only have to practice for 3 to 4 Mu's with him.

I've decided i'm going to start practicing MK again and drop injustice for the scrubby game that it is. I'm going back to the franchise I love and the one that brought us all together. I don't care if i'm playing in 20 man tournaments at least I will have fun and my victories will mean something. So time to take KL serious as a second character. I feel like we all should...

24 spin(stance specific) this is ridiculous and is the most underused tool kung lao has. it is a ridiculous whiff punisher the second hit in the string has more range than the first hit similar to kitana 21.

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
KL for me = Awesome movement speed, my favorit kung fu style " vyn chun", very fast attack speed, but still when i tryed to play him i don't really had a lot of fun. Anyway i can find a way to beat all characters with my mains : Reptile/Kabal/Jax (Sec: JC,Sonya,Kenshi). I play reptile for 2 years and love it and kabal for 2 mouth and i directly felt that kabal can become my n1 his gameplay is really fast and awesome

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
The thing is, to really make Lao work at the level where you can drastically flip the tables on the Kenshi and Kabal matchup, you realize having him as a secondary just isn't good enough.

It's also kinda ironic how Kenshi still, literally, gets FORCED into the #2 slot when every other -secondary- Kenshi has yet to win anything significant. I believe Pimpimjim put Pig in losers at Final Round 16, the match wasn't streamed but I think it was Sektor vs Kenshi which is supposedly preached as some insta-2-8 matchup.. with no other explanation other than "dude, it's Kenshi". I digress, it could've just as easily been Mileena, which most Sektor players will tell you is infact Sektor's most difficult matchup. Who's to say PPJ didn't just have a rational outlook on how Pig was playing the matchup as an individual?

Not that I'm putting anyone on blast when I say this but, essentially, I don't think there's ever really been good morale behind counterpicking in MK9 in the first place. I used to think there was no reason not to use Sektor for the Cage matchup, but I realized for whatever reason, my composure is just flat out more on point using Scorpion for it.

It's your call dude, I'm just saying, the best Kabal's and Kenshi's are fully accustomed to Lao as a makeshift counterpick by now. Nobody will ever be able to eliminate every bad matchup across the board, whether it's because they can't handle it mentally or because of the character they use, sometimes it's just better to grind a matchup where you usually go 4-6. I'm not saying Cage does in the matchups you mentioned, but there's certainly more characters that can viably compete against them other than KL. Consider your options.

kung lao is not that easy 2 handle most of his specials r- on block and risky he have great tools as well
u just need 2 be fast+ focused with kung lao
he's my first main since april 2011
and all the other cast r my secondary xD

When you make a claim against someone's character like that the burden of proof is on you to show that your claims are true. I'm not going to respect your baseless flaming by looking through tens of thousands of notifications to help substantiate the bullshit that you have no idea if it is true or not.
FrothyOmen, GamerBlake90, RiBBz22, etc, can someone infract this foo on rule #2. baseless harassment/flaming.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-tym-community-rules-rv1-1-updated-5-27-13.26909/
DJ L Toro we have a report system, use it. Denied.

redeyes stop flaming toro. Y'all need a time out.

Calling somebody out for flaming, by in turn flaming them makes no sense. That's Frothy logic and it's not a good look

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
GUYS...Take this to the PM system and leave the flaming off the message boards...This has totally derailed the OP's topic and is against site rules with the swearing and personal attacks. Every time I delete a set of posts new ones show up. Please stay on topic and cease with the attacks.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Pocket Lao really doesn't work anymore. At this point in the game everyone is well aware of his weaknesses and tricks you really do have to main the character to get anywhere with him.