What's new

IGN Interview with MK X Comic Writer, Shawn Kittelsen (long with good info!)

WynterEnd

Your sacrifice honors me!
If you're excited about the new Mortal Kombat X digital comics set to debut January 2015 then you may want to read an interview IGN performed with its comic book writer, Shawn Kittelsen. As said in the title, this interview is a long read and a damn good one. It truly shows Shawn's deep love for the Mortal Kombat universe and how he is able to include basically any character from the Mortal Kombat franchise in to the book. Granted, not all characters mentioned may make the final cut in the game, but he can tease, right?

Shawn does basically confirm that Liu Kang will be in the comic and we're also sensing some hint at Shinnok being in the game as well. Interesting information in this interview includes:
  • Liu Kang is in the comic (and maybe the game)
  • Basically confirms Shinnok (by not denying)
  • Kotal Kahn is a big focus of the comic; lots of story about him
shinnok.png
IGN: The big setup from the 2011 game was Shinnok's return, so are we doing anything with that? Can we expect to see him?

Kittelsen: I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about that!

IGN: Blink once for yes, twice for no.

Kittelsen: [Performs several facial contortions] I just had a seizure so now we'll never know.

How can I put this . . . the story in the game, thematically and in details, is seeded in the book. So, we're not going to retell the same story, and I certainly don't want to bring a book to the audience that's like here's some cut scenes from the game but now...
Read the interview in full, here!

Source: IGN

Last edited by a moderator:

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I have wanted this for so long....ever since MK and DC were under WB...I have been hoping this was a result....so excited...and its all canonical...

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Very interesting, I hope Shawn goes all the fuck out with MK characters. Example, like Raiden's Xray I want to see him do shit like that daily as he should and not jobber like in MK 9....

I want to see Ermac rip people in half or disintegrate them like he did to Jax's arms, Dr. Manhattan style. It's time for MK characters to shine!

Oh and I want Subby to do some crazy shit with his powers, freeze and entire block around him perhaps flash freeze people more often, remember Mythologies Ice shattering? He froze the entire room or like anything around him within 50 feet got frozen and shattered instantly.

Lastly, would be nice if the Elder Gods did more power wise, like destroy a whole world or something or create a new one. I know they did anyway eons ago creating the realms but want to see them do something super crazy powerful!

Last edited:

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
That was a great read with a ton of good info. I don't know much about this guy but his approach to this so far is what it should be and this interview took my hopes up quite a bit.

ramy_92

http://instagram.com/ramysoli
FINALLY someone relating game of thrones to mortal kombat, SOMEDAY we will have a game of thrones fighting game and then MK VS GOT :) somedaaay

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
The best thing about the interview is easily how excited Shawn Kittelsen is about the project. When you have really passionate people working on stuff good things happen. He seemed absolutely hyped, and we should be too.

I'm glad that he has been given so much freedom in terms of characters and that he is gonna use a lot of them. He seems like a fan of Game of thrones too. Nothing juggles a big cast like GOT does. It's getting me super hyped !!

ShaolinChuan

LEARN FROM THIS
IGN: The big setup from the 2011 game was Shinnok's return, so are we doing anything with that? Can we expect to see him?

Kittelsen: [Performs several facial contortions] I just had a seizure so now we'll never know.

Lmao. Could perfectly imagine this. What a great guy, seems perfect for him to be chosen to write the comic, and I'm super glad he's a hardcore MK fan like a lot of us here.

trufenix

bye felicia

Lmao. Could perfectly imagine this. What a great guy, seems perfect for him to be chosen to write the comic, and I'm super glad he's a hardcore MK fan like a lot of us here.
There are definitely still some major issues in how DC is run independantly, but WB as a manager of all their properties is really doing a good job making sure there's talent at every position. Especially the gaming stuff.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Holy Khan, can't wait to see trough this, which characters will show up? Which new characters will be introduced?

Will some of these new characters created in the comics be in the next mortal Kombat? Will they be DLC?

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

T33-Kahn

Waifu, Peacock, Cutie Patootie,...
Mokap is the star of the book.
YES!!! MOKAPPA DA BEST MK CHAR EVER!!!

I'm going to tear your eyeballs out and rub them all over your iPad, and you're going to view the whole thing through rose-colored glasses.
This guy is the perfect writer for MKX comic lol.

Last edited:

Slymind

Noob
It's always good to see a person/team working on something that they are really passionate about. I'm dying to see what they have in store.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Welp, Shinnok and Liu Kang confirmed for not being important in MKX, and possibly not even appearing.

Well, i'm basing this off of how some characters who were fan favorites appeared in the Inj comic but not the game, except for my a mention in story mode.

I wish it wasn't so.