What's new

IGAU needs to be at EVO!

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
This game deserves to be at Evo and not by buying its slot with donations. The competitive stage has been set when PChamp put MKC on blast and MKC rallying to do battle with Capcom community. The bar has already been raised to challenge players to reach a high level of game play or face ridicule by the opposing sides. I love this drama and the game is getting mad hype from it. Evo should do the right thing and give the FGC what they want. NRS claims that they can "fix" and patch the game quickly so it can be fair by the time that Evo rolls around. Bugs in first week of release are irrelevant so don't cry on this thread.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
It's impossible to fix everything that could be potentially broken before EVO.

Bugs in first week of release usually don't compare to bugs found later down the line. Nobody wants their game exposed as broken in a major tournament.

Saitsu

Noob
No game should be considered if its release date is after the EVO Selection Day. I really wish they'd use this as a rule, it'd make the selection process a LOT cleaner.

sea_guy

Monitor
MK9 was at Evo after a similar time frame, I'm not sure why they decided to push MK for a third year when it was obvious Injustice was going to be the hype stuff. My lingering hope is that Warner or whoever will step in to sponsor a major side-tournament with its own dedicated stream.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
MK9 was at Evo after a similar time frame, I'm not sure why they decided to push MK for a third year when it was obvious Injustice was going to be the hype stuff. My lingering hope is that Warner or whoever will step in to sponsor a major side-tournament with its own dedicated stream.
They want to see if perfect legend can go for the 3 peat. It would be pretty amazing if he can do it.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Saitsu

Noob
Vanilla MVC3 was released in February of 2011, so it was after the EVO lineup was released. MK9 was released in April, and got in. There was no guarantee that either of those games would be unbroken, but they got spots. I still believe that IGAU was punished for MK9 being at MLG. EVO also knows that IGAU will be at MLG, too. IGAU guide is even certified by MLG. EVO probably doesn't like that. MK and IGAU are big, big titles, and I think EVO kinda feels slighted by NRS doing semi-exclusive business with MLG, because it was EVO that helped legitimize MK as a real tournament fighter. If EVO hadn't given MK9 a shot on the big stage, maybe MLG wouldn't have wanted it. Business. EVO and MLG are competitors. MK9 got a third go because Wizard and EVO likes the tenacity of the MK9 community imo. Also, Capcom's biggest fear is Mortal Kombat. It has feared MK since MK came into existence. The last thing Capcom wants is for MK/IGAU to get better and better, getting closer to rivaling SF and Marvel in good design in addition to their great story and characters.
Alright first off, that's an annoying wall of text.

Second I never said this rule was ever enforced but it SHOULD be enforced. And Capcom doesn't fear MK. Ono has even gone on record saying he enjoys MK.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I will say this: if Injustice is a side tournament, there needs to be a dedicated stream for it. I don't care if it's 4G; this needs to be the hypest and most-publicized side tournament in the history of side tournaments. I believe people will bring their A game, and it might put some of the main-stage events to shame.

So whatever has to be done.. This must be streamed. I think it's the best compromise we can get.

trufenix

bye felicia
Injustice being the hype stuff was never obvious and for most of its development was in severe doubt, which is why its not at evo. There was a LONG period of time from announcement until a month or two ago when most of the FGC (including a ton of the MK community) doubted its viability. It wasn't until after EVO selections that NRS started giving anyone real reasons to believe it wasn't going to be a broken casual mess.

Saitsu

Noob
Until Battle Arena we didn't even get much when it came to gameplay. Injustice was a question mark for WAY too long.

Saitsu

Noob
...so you're referring to when MK was dominant in the media...which was almost what, 15 years ago?

I'm not even going to say anything on that. I'll let you think about what you just said.

Saitsu

Noob
MK9 outsold every fighting game that came out in the 09 era of fighting games. It sold 3 to 4 million units. It doesn't matter when it comes out, MK outsells SF. What I'm talking about is that 15+ years ago MK both outsold SF and was the more dominant game in the arcades, which was the fgc. My point is that Capcom knows what can happen with 2d MK. It is the only fighting game that could overtake SF in the current fgc, just like it did in the past. You doubt that? MK is Street Fighter's kryptonite.
The only thing that would get SF killed is Capcom's own stupidity. Outside of that, worrying about MK is foolish. MK isn't stealing numbers from SF. They aren't releasing games in the same time frame as they have in the past.

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
All good points but I wish it was just a simple fact that NRS has a quality product. It shouldnt be about NRS vs Capcom. Evo should recognize IGUA as a solid game and rake in the funds it will make them. I'm willing to bet it will have plenty of signups to make it worth the trouble to squeeze it in. Hell, NRS would probably front some money for the tournament like they did last year with MK. There has to be some underlining issue that is keeping this game from being in the main tournament. Petty squabbles and egos need to be squashed by people who hold the powe because the players are ones who are most impacted. Everyone in the gaming world on the business side needs to remember they get funded first and foremost by the players.

Saitsu

Noob
If games could get put into EVO this far after the selection date, why bother having the selection date?

I'll say it again, a rule should be put in to ban all games entering EVO if they are not released before the selection date. That way there are no stupid conspiracy theories...or at least not as many.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
It's impossible to fix everything that could be potentially broken before EVO.

Bugs in first week of release usually don't compare to bugs found later down the line. Nobody wants their game exposed as broken in a major tournament.
Lol, so you think they released injustice knowing it was broken?

sea_guy

Monitor
Injustice being the hype stuff was never obvious and for most of its development was in severe doubt, which is why its not at evo. There was a LONG period of time from announcement until a month or two ago when most of the FGC (including a ton of the MK community) doubted its viability. It wasn't until after EVO selections that NRS started giving anyone real reasons to believe it wasn't going to be a broken casual mess.
This is nonsense, as if NRS had proven that MK9 was going to be anything but a "broken casual mess" just coming off MKvsDC of all games.

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
It doesn't really matter because its impossible to release a fighter week 1 and be ready for a tournament like Evo. There is more than enough time for it to BE ready for Evo.

trufenix

bye felicia
This is nonsense, as if NRS had proven that MK9 was going to be anything but a "broken casual mess" just coming off MKvsDC of all games.
People are willing to risk broken characters and match ups, people are not willing to risk broken mechanics and disfunctional design. With MK, we basically knew everything except the cast. With Injustice we still had big red flags and question marks about clash, transitions, interactables, traits. Shit, most people didn't even understand how dashing and meter burns worked until the demo.

Just do some searching, look at any gameplay related post from before february. Nothing but confusion and doubt. The cannon's weren't going to risk that after SFxT.

sea_guy

Monitor
People are willing to risk broken characters and match ups, people are not willing to risk broken mechanics and disfunctional design.
You're making excuses for a taking a wild gamble on a series that had just come off MK: Armageddon and MKvsDC, but a few chicken littles cried over toggleable interactables and suddenly it makes perfect sense to omit the game from EVO? I don't even know where to begin with this.