What's new

If you don't morph with Shang Tsung in UMK3, how useful is he?

I use Shang as my main. Now, I know he's a bottom tiered character but I was just wondering that if he couldn't morph, would he be ranked lower?

I can defeat quite a few people (DC Hustle notwithstanding) on a near consistent basis utilizing morphs and not utilizing morphs. In rare instances, my opponent can anticipate the morph-back and keep me trapped, but all in all, I can integrate morphs smoothly in combat, just ask Darxyde.

Now, if you take morphs out of the equation, would Shang be ranked higher or lower?

Yeah you definately have one of the best Shangs on Live, REAL T420 is the only other one who ever gives me trouble.

I'd say stick with what you're doing and just learn to read people better. Shang has a decent sweep and will win in JK battles more often than not, plus he's pretty much impossible to juggle.

dubson

Noob
Him and Mileena would probably switch places. He would only go lower, if not stay in the same place because often enough it doesnt matter too much. He definitely wouldnt be higher without morphs, its only an advantage if used safely. It's his morph back that kills him.

You can sit there and block for the 6 seconds or so that he is morphed and as soon as he morphs back you hit them with the pressure. Therefore, the morphs only really gain him advantage after an eruption for big combo potential. But the ground eruption move alone isnt all that useful because it is very easy to avoid.

He is of the lowest tier no matter how you grade him, so it really doesnt matter drastically.

I hardly use Shang. But when I do its usually against random people on Ranked Matches. I wouldn't dare use him in Challenger matches. I would probably get stomped.

PS: Yeah RealT420s shang is insane.

I hardly use Shang. But when I do its usually against random people on Ranked Matches. I wouldn't dare use him in Challenger matches. I would probably get stomped.

PS: Yeah RealT420s shang is insane.
Yeah, RealT and I have played before and it went pretty much back and forth with him winning, then myself, rinse, repeat.

I just don't understand why he's ranked so low, I guess. With his ability to morph into anyone minus the Smokes and c'mon, most people(meaning elite UMK3 and high tiered ones) don't know how to effectively keep a Shang player handicapped with the morphback(this claim coming from roughly 10,000 ranked XBL matches) why wouldn't he be ranked somewhere in the bottom-mid?

Tim Static

Adminerator
IMO, Shang is last on the tier list, but that doesnt mean people such as Qui Gon and RealT dont have nasty Shangs.

But the thing is, the morph is just as much a weakness, if not more, as it is a strength. Say an offensive Kabal with fireballs or H.SMoke or Ermac with the teleports would make it nearly impossible to even morph at all, yet alone be proficient with the morphs.

I really like Shang, and use him quite often. I think someone already pointed this out, but he's especially useful against good players, because a lot of them don't know how to play against him.

IMO, Shang is last on the tier list, but that doesnt mean people such as Qui Gon and RealT dont have nasty Shangs.

But the thing is, the morph is just as much a weakness, if not more, as it is a strength. Say an offensive Kabal with fireballs or H.SMoke or Ermac with the teleports would make it nearly impossible to even morph at all, yet alone be proficient with the morphs.
I agree with this.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The only advantage to not morphing with Shang is that is allows you to focus on a strategy with Shang himself. Shang has 3 different fireballs and a containment/juggle projectile. See what you can do with mix ups, plus his normals and only morph when it's safe and will enable more damage, you'll be surprised how often you can snag someone with the Ground Eruption if used properly. Remember he also has the lower 'to be juggled" potential of any character as himself.

The only advantage to not morphing with Shang is that is allows you to focus on a strategy with Shang himself. Shang has 3 different fireballs and a containment/juggle projectile. See what you can do with mix ups, plus his normals and only morph when it's safe and will enable more damage, you'll be surprised how often you can snag someone with the Ground Eruption if used properly. Remember he also has the lower 'to be juggled" potential of any character as himself.
Oh really?

Im surprised nobody says nuthin bout his RH. Isnt that like one of the best RH in tha game. Jump baiting+RH to GE can be pretty nasty. He def. isnt an Up-close fighter...zonin is his thing. But 1 of my friends dont zone or morph with shang an he still does fine on XBL.

Ziggy

Shang's hitbox alone makes him one of my favorite characters. Plus his main combo does not get pushed back in the corner, so if the opponent doesn't block, its practically an infinite. Also, I find morphing only useful after hitting the ground eruption, or if I need a quick teleport or overhead. The occasional surprise morph+special after a knockdown is nice, but can be very risky only because of the morphback baiting.

Also, inb4 7 years late on this thread lol