What's new

Guide - Cutthroat If you aren't using DB1 (normal or MB) in neutral, you're messing up.

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
So it's been known for a long time that Kano's DB1 has some deceptive range on it. It's important to understand and master this range. There are multiple reasons and benefits to it.

1) At -8 on block (which means -7 to buttons) There is no button in the game that can punish it at max range.
2) Knocks them out of the air, if high enough can actually get a full confirm.
3) More viability to knives: Knives are high in cutthroat, which means people like to duck under them. But at max range of DB1, they become susceptible to getting hit and a potential full combo if you do the MB version instead. With that said, they'll be blocking more knives if they're scared enough.

Test the range. Master it, it's definitely crucial imo to making sure that Kano is threatening at any range.

this is just a visual of when I tested it back like a week into the game or so.

REO

Undead
It's always good to post something even if players do know about it because there will always be a new group of players seeing it for the first time and learning. Tech doesn't get recycled on this site very well. It just gets posted and receives a bit of glory for a while and then dies off into obscurity for the newer players. Having something to talk about on the forums for your character every day isn't a bad thing.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
It's always good to post something even if players do know about it because there will always be a new group of players seeing it for the first time and learning. Tech doesn't get recycled on this site very well. It just gets posted and receives a bit of glory for a while and then dies off into obscurity for the newer players. Having something to talk about on the forums for your character every day isn't a bad thing.
God damn, this almost makes me want to revamp the Cassie forums with tech that isn't from April. Very inspirational REO!

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
So it's been known for a long time that Kano's DB1 has some deceptive range on it. It's important to understand and master this range. There are multiple reasons and benefits to it.

1) At -8 on block (which means -7 to buttons) There is no button in the game that can punish it at max range.
2) Knocks them out of the air, if high enough can actually get a full confirm.
3) More viability to knives: Knives are high in cutthroat, which means people like to duck under them. But at max range of DB1, they become susceptible to getting hit and a potential full combo if you do the MB version instead. With that said, they'll be blocking more knives if they're scared enough.

Test the range. Master it, it's definitely crucial imo to making sure that Kano is threatening at any range.

this is just a visual of when I tested it back like a week into the game or so.
Didnt know this as ive just started with kano again

Thanks man

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
F21xxDB1 is perfect. I've seen it primarily as an Online Tactic though. I don't see myself getting away with the lunges and DB1 like that in offline play. Additionally, you can bait a person jumping in if you immediately do it after the knife throw. Really good stuff. D4 to F2xxDB1 is what I usually use

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
Jax can punish it.
Tanya will get in and start the pressure.
I do not think something more at the moment,so i guess it is a very good move and that the only risk is that you may let the opponent to get in.
Am I right?

Notez4

Noob
Doesn't being negative 8 give most characters the opportunity to start pressure with any mid starting string they have? Seems pretty risky against a lot of the cast.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I mostly play with Commando and Cyber. But the range of the swipe is good to know when attacking the opponent off guard. Great video!

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Jax can punish it.
Tanya will get in and start the pressure.
I do not think something more at the moment,so i guess it is a very good move and that the only risk is that you may let the opponent to get in.
Am I right?
Doesn't being negative 8 give most characters the opportunity to start pressure with any mid starting string they have? Seems pretty risky against a lot of the cast.
To answer concerns about pressure being started up after they block it. Look carefully at max distance displayed in the video, which is why I initially said to master the range of the move. Most characters at max range do not have a mid reaching that far to get started with, and Kano can backdash most anyway. There's also the threat of armor EX Buff or Kano Ball as well. Yes it's -8 but always remember you can never just take into account the frame data, you have to take any pushback and range into account as well.

skater11

The saltiest
I knew it was a thing. Glad I figured this on my own. I like to throw out the EX one in the neutral when im at low health and really looking to end the round/match. Its a pretty nice risk reward in Kanos favor.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
To answer concerns about pressure being started up after they block it. Look carefully at max distance displayed in the video, which is why I initially said to master the range of the move. Most characters at max range do not have a mid reaching that far to get started with, and Kano can backdash most anyway. There's also the threat of armor EX Buff or Kano Ball as well. Yes it's -8 but always remember you can never just take into account the frame data, you have to take any pushback and range into account as well.
I do not main kano so I will not insist, if I am wrong then it is OK.

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
indeed it is. Condition your opponent well with projectiles and then you'll see how many of these you land in a match.

SaltFace NS

Ultimate Mileena Exterminator
indeed it is. Condition your opponent well with projectiles and then you'll see how many of these you land in a match.
That is an excellent idea how it should be used in neutral & to be honest I never seen a Kano use it like that before.

I do something similar with Mileena when I sneak in TeleKicks in neutral.

if it is, it is. But I dont see it, so i dont know. It's been common knowledge to me for a while so Im just making sure. I am not active on forums anymore like that so I dont check often
Don't worry that guy just assumes that everyone has been playing MK as long as he has and reads into it as much. I didn't know this and even though I don't play Kano I appreciate knowing about it.

i love doing this against characters who have 8f moves then i blow them up for 50 percent combos with that ex buff. study what your opponent likes to do in counter poke situations then use the swipe then ex buff. it is a beast. now that i think about it kano out pokes all most the whole cast if you dont have any six frame moves