What's new

If there is a Tournament Mode, will the community actually use it?

We know that Injustice will probably have a bunch of unbalanced stage interactions and loooooooong animation transitions between areas. It could get boring to watch and play as a result.

So if Boon puts a tournament mode in to deal with these issues, preferably as a toggle and not an annoying code, will the community decide to adopt it right away?

Because the decision will need to be made at launch before people get used to the non-tournament mechanics and start running their own tournaments that way.

MK9 is stuck with toasty boosts and foreground objects and I don't want Injustice to suffer an even worse fate due to people not thinking ahead on this issue.

AssassiN

Noob
I used tournament mode when MK9 came out to remove the foreground objects and first hit bonus.
After a while I noticed that at tournaments it wasn't used and I stopped using tournament mode at that point.
I'm still pro tournament mode, not a fan of the whole "who gets hits first?!".

Don't think they will have combatcodes like in MK9 since their motto is "it's not MK9!", there might be another way to implement tournament mode.
If it has tournament mode and does what you described then I would try to enforce that mode.

Injustice's stage interaction could be seen in the same light as first hit bonus.

So something will have to be taken away here too for the sake of balance in any tournament mode.

The key imho is not to get attached to those extra mechanics in the first place.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
We know that Injustice will probably have a bunch of unbalanced stage interactions and loooooooong animation transitions between areas. It could get boring to watch and play as a result.

So if Boon puts a tournament mode in to deal with these issues, preferably as a toggle and not an annoying code, will the community decide to adopt it right away?

Because the decision will need to be made at launch before people get used to the non-tournament mechanics and start running their own tournaments that way.

MK9 is stuck with toasty boosts and foreground objects and I don't want Injustice to suffer an even worse fate due to people not thinking ahead on this issue.
Toasty boosts are hype. GET OUT

Toasty boosts are hype. GET OUT
And they are activated randomly and can change the entire match, but my topic isn't about that. MK9 has already decided the issue, I'm just using it as a comparison because Injustice will probably have even crazier random elements in it.

gdf

Noob
It's not that big of a deal. Just play the game for fun first, then start taking it seriously. We are still playing a video game, so have a good time with it.

It's not that big of a deal. Just play the game for fun first, then start taking it seriously. We are still playing a video game, so have a good time with it.
To many, a balanced and competitive game is fun and gives the game its replay value over time.

If I just wanted to button mash and watch people fly through walls, there are many other games for that.

gdf

Noob
To many, a balanced and competitive game is fun.

If I just wanted to button mash and watch people fly through walls, there are many other games for that.
A balanced game is fun, I'm too chilled out right now to be a jerk so I'll just say this. If you want to play the game it's fine, if you don't, that's fine too. However if you decide to play another game, you are the only one losing out.

In regards to the title post, there is always a possibility.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
They mentioned about accommodating tournament players with a "plain" stage, but I hope at a tournament level, that we can play the game to its full potential.

shig

kool guy
How about this: The winner/loser of a match decides what will be the stage of the next match. First match is played on Final Destination.

How about this: The winner/loser of a match decides what will be the stage of the next match. First match is played on Final Destination.
Hah I get it. The funny thing about that is that while Smash players get stereotyped as playing a "no fun" version of the game, the stage list and counterpick system is pretty advanced and not limited to a few stages.

I don't see what the issue is with stage interactions. I'm willing to bet that they could be leveraged to improve bad matchups. For example, let's say we have myself as Quinn vs. you as Grundy, and Grundy is in the right corner of the Batcave and is full screen from Quinn, who is zoming him to death. He could fight his way through, or he can find an opening and activate the missile launcher stage interaction. This will force quinn to quit zoning by either A. Getting hit, or B. Blocking, so Grundy will now have a chance to advance himself on the screen and get out of the corner. Without this, he'd have to fight through everything. Sounds pretty fair to me, I could just as easily make a read that he is going to go for the missile and close the distance between him before he does it, making the missile more of a risk as I could easily just jump in and hit him on startup, or at least trade with you in a way that is in my favor. On paper, I like the depth it brings to the table. Forces me to think and stop being so braindead, which Grundy could use very advantageously. If I was him I'd certainly love that option in that situation.

Stage interactions are never going to break a matchup in a character's favor. It'll never turn a 6-4 into a 7-3, from what I've seen so far they are not strong enough to truly have that kind of effect. They give you another tool in your toolbelt, or serve as a simple combo extender. All speculation though, can't wait to try it out and see.

I'm honestly more worried about the stage transition animations then the stage interactions, but how balanced that is won't be known until the game comes out.

I hope Boon doesn't get lazy and just say: here's a plain stage, there's your tournament mode! Obviously nobody will limit themselves to one stage.

This topic is under the assumption that tournament mode is fully fleshed out.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
The problem with a tournament mode is that they won't know what the community finds "tournament worthy" and what they don't.
It's how it was in MK9 and i wouldn't expect them to guess what people think is fair before we get a chance to play it for a while. They should just do their best to make the full version of the game tourny viable and the rest is always worked out by the community.

LEGEND

YES!
The problem with a tournament mode is that they won't know what the community finds "tournament worthy" and what they don't.
It's how it was in MK9 and i wouldn't expect them to guess what people think is fair before we get a chance to play it for a while. They should just do their best to make the full version of the game tourny viable and the rest is always worked out by the community.
This \/

Tolkeen

/wrists
I'm honestly more worried about the stage transition animations then the stage interactions, but how balanced that is won't be known until the game comes out.

I hope Boon doesn't get lazy and just say: here's a plain stage, there's your tournament mode! Obviously nobody will limit themselves to one stage.

This topic is under the assumption that tournament mode is fully fleshed out.
I'm not sure why you're concerned about the stage transitions, I welcome them as a chance to stretch my fingers mid match. Possibly switch songs on my ipod lol.

insignis

Noob
the animation is not that long and I doubt transitions will be used often (maybe only to drop your opponent on the arena you prefer)

still IMHO it would be good to have an option to turn off interactions at all just in case.

I'm not sure why you're concerned about the stage transitions, I welcome them as a chance to stretch my fingers mid match. Possibly switch songs on my ipod lol.
More concerned that they will be used exclusively to reset a player's momentum. Which is exactly what you don't want if your winning.

The losing player will use any unintended exploit in the system to drag out a match and then keep themselves alive through zoning.

Tolkeen

/wrists
More concerned that they will be used exclusively to reset a player's momentum. Which is exactly what you don't want if your winning.

The losing player will use any unintended exploit in the system to drag out a match and keep themselves alive.
With the way they health bars are set up, I don't think it will be that much of an issue. And it's also a really slow move or at the end of a string (the ones I remember seeing anyways) so if you're leaving gaps that large in your "momentum" you're kind of asking for it. But that's just my opinion, I am interested to see how it will turn out, but I don't want to be pigeonholed into a CAPCOM situation where everyone just picks the training stage. I'm sorry, but lined walls do not make me happy.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Honestly the best way to handle this might be like Smash Bros/Halo:

So for local offline multiplayer, you just have a list of settings for various things. This allows you to turn on/off what you want. In Smash Bros. people could tweak the options how they wanted, until eventually people settled on some tourney standards.

It gives flexibility to the advanced players, and doesn't lock you in to one idea of a predefined "tournament mode".

I also think it's silly for people to call stage interactions unbalanced before giving them a chance. It could end up being one of the more exciting parts of the game.

Tolkeen

/wrists
Honestly the best way to handle this might be like Smash Bros/Halo:

So for local offline multiplayer, you just have a list of settings for various things. This allows you to turn on/off what you want. In Smash Bros. people could tweak the options how they wanted, until eventually people settled on some tourney standards.

It gives flexibility to the advanced players, and doesn't lock you in to one idea of a predefined "tournament mode".
Or we just let the game be the way the game is, and embrace what NRS was trying to do by making such interesting stages.