What's new

If Gamers8 (Saudi eSports Company) ran MK events... would you go?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Gamers8 a Saudi Prince backed eSports organization has been posting insane pots for various events. They have recently announced a 40 million dollar fund to run the various events prize pools.

This is all cool.... but Saudi Arabia has some issue with human rights. Now it is hosted in Dubni, which is a growing tourist destination. So like Hong Kong / China the rules are more lax there than other parts of the United Arab Emirates. Like the Formula 1 has been there for a while now, so has the UFC and that Football organization. All had huge twitter backlashes on announcements, but eventing went ahead and is chugging along with little to no friction now, and there have been few issues with tourists. Football, F1 and UFC stars are as loved as they ever have been.

That being said, I think it would be doubtful that open personalities like Sonic Fox or Politicly Active people like UlraDavid would be welcome.

So I was wondering what your take on this would be. If it is launched for MK, there is 100% chance that many people will take part in the event, and I am sure many people wouldn't. I do not want to get bogged down with any attacks between forum members, let's try to be judgment free.

Still, it is an interesting question, I think. Particularly in modern times with cash being tight, a prize pool so high would set a winner up for years, literally. Also, and again this is not a judgment, but the issues with the host state could mean that some of the very best players may not be in attendance, making that prize more achievable.

I get this is a sensitive subject, but it may also be an important one, and there are pros and cons on either side.

Last edited:
no. sportwashing cant be supported but i know i'm in the minority when people see the $$$.

and fyi if you think this is somehow a hypocritical western elitist view, i would never attend anything redbull sponsored as well, because that company is run by neofascists.

Jynks

Not far to ask and not put myself out there....

As I am not a competitor any more, it is all intellectual for me. Also, as I am probably near the least "at risk" group if I did go there. So the question is really complex in a different way as it just surrounds how I would appear to others, and not be about me personally.

It is true that I watch UFC, Formula 1 and European Football (soccer). All are heavily involved with the Saudis. All had backlash on social media, but there was little effect to the sports themselves or the popularity of the athletes.

There is a strong chance that many top players might not go, or not be allowed to go, or are too scared to go. Making the massive prize more possible to attain. I think if I was a serious competitor, I would find it pretty hard to pass up the opportunity to put both my kids through University and pay off my mortgage by attending a single event.

I think I would go. I feel conflicted about that, but I would probably go and compete.

It could be noted that I have gone as a tourist to China, Afghanistan, Russia and other countries with pretty hardcore regimes over the years.

and fyi if you think this is somehow a hypocritical western elitist view, i would never attend anything redbull sponsored as well, because that company is run by neofascists.
I think the "hypocritical" narrative goes more like this :

The Saudis are a world economic power, and everything from Apple to Disney to the company that electrifies your house has strong links. It could be argued that Corporate America is complicit already, and so are you if you, as you live your life right now.

So I believe that is what people are talking about when they say that.

I'm not sure that argument holds water... for me, it is more like your carbon footprint, or digital security. You can't have zero carbon footprint or be totally secure online. It is about minimisation.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that argument holds water... for me, it is more like your carbon footprint, or digital security. You can't have zero carbon footprint or be totally secure online. It is about minimisation.
i agree, minimization is the key. for me attending sportwashing events is a line not to be crossed. i also havent watched a single game of the quatari world cup and i might never again watch any due to fifa's "policies".

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
People can't even drive 10 miles to a local, let alone Saudi Arabia.
Well, tbh I skipped some locals of the town next to mine because the pot prize simply wasnt worth it. 10 million dollars pot? Yeah, I could see it being quite the incentive.

To answer the question, I'd probably ONLY go if I was 90% certain I could get at least third place (if there was a prize for that), otherwise, as a gay dude, I'd be putting my life on risk needlessly.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
You a good looking gay dude? Pimp yourself out to the top kompetitors in the community for MK training = Profit.

If I were a chick, I'd prob kiss Tweedy on the cheek for some "pro tips." You don't have to give much. :DOGE

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
For the money, I could convince myself to go if I thought I could win some of that money. I mean, I live in America already, and half of the country is going full speed to Saudi Arabia bad. You know which half. So why not.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
You a good looking gay dude? Pimp yourself out to the top kompetitors in the community for MK training = Profit.

If I were a chick, I'd prob kiss Tweedy on the cheek for some "pro tips." You don't have to give much. :DOGE
I mean, that would be putting the other top players at risk as well. Being gay in Saudi Arabia is a crime lol. Happy 1523 to them I guess.

Jynks

People can't even drive 10 miles to a local, let alone Saudi Arabia.
Huh? People travel from all over the world to go to Majors... but you're right, this is an intellectual question more than a practical one No one would go unless they are a class of player that can compete at the highest levels.

The last SF6 one they did with the massive pot was invitation only, for example.

Jynks

To answer the question, I'd probably ONLY go if I was 90% certain I could get at least third place (if there was a prize for that), otherwise, as a gay dude, I'd be putting my life on risk needlessly.
The SF6 event was paying out at 30K to 8th, 10K to 12th and 5K to 16th. 400K for 1st. It also had a significantly smaller overall pot that the current gamer8 claims... so in future it will either pay deeper into the bracket, and pay out higher as well... or both. Most likely both.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
No way. I refuse to financially support countries with such blatant, discriminatory human rights abuses.

Although steps have been made to improve on the surface, there is still shocking treatment of women. Being Gay is punishable by death. Rape victims can be jailed after reporting assaults to local police or when seeking medical help. You can go to jail if you have criticised Saudi Arabia, its people, policy, the royal family, the leadership or Islam in the past - including things like Twitter posts from years ago. There are so many fucked up things. Plus... you can't drink!

I am not going to whore myself out by looking the other way at serious abuse for some money and the "glory" of winning a video game. By participating, you are condoning.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
IDK if it does or doesn't affect the thought process for anyone, and I'm assuming this is all still true, but if you:
Buy a Nintendo product, like a Switch, or I guess went to see the Mario movie
Play SF6 or Monster Hunter or thought RE4 remake was sick
Get an SNK game like KOF15
Play Mass Effect, or EA whatever which I guess may include Apex Legends

You are already financially supporting Saudi Arabia. They have been buying up significant amounts of stock in all corners of gaming the last few years. SNK was the biggest with basically all the stock being bought within days of KOF15's release. So far Mai has not be asked to change into something more appropriate.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
I mean, that would be putting the other top players at risk as well. Being gay in Saudi Arabia is a crime lol. Happy 1523 to them I guess.
Human shields bref. Deny any and all accusations, no matter how hard they press. At the same time accuse anyone and everyone to get the Saudis on your side. Once the top players are thrown from high buildings, top 8 will be within reach.

:DOGE

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
IDK if it does or doesn't affect the thought process for anyone, and I'm assuming this is all still true, but if you:
Buy a Nintendo product, like a Switch, or I guess went to see the Mario movie
Play SF6 or Monster Hunter or thought RE4 remake was sick
Get an SNK game like KOF15
Play Mass Effect, or EA whatever which I guess may include Apex Legends

You are already financially supporting Saudi Arabia. They have been buying up significant amounts of stock in all corners of gaming the last few years. SNK was the biggest with basically all the stock being bought within days of KOF15's release. So far Mai has not be asked to change into something more appropriate.
And I think 7% of all oil imports are from Saudi Arabia right now, too.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I would not attend.

Mainly because it would put my life at risk, but even if I wasn’t, I don’t think I’d attend on principle.

People stating that Saudi money is everywhere are correct; but this is a very direct and tangible link that is highly publicised. It is a bit different from not supporting businesses in which the Saudi’s have stock or a vested interest. One is directly funded and supported by the Saudis, the other is indirectly funded by Saudi’s purchasing stock.

I’d also push back against the “in for a penny, in for a pound” thinking. Just because I tangentially support saudis by consuming Nintendo products, does not mean that I should or would actively support a Saudi run video game tournament.

while i agree with many things said in this thread, lets please not make one mistake in this thread and take the saudi-arabian government as representative for ALL saudi-arabian people. like everywhere else, there is surely a majority of people in this country who just want to live in peace and freedom. but i'm pretty sure those are not the one with the power and the big money.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Been to UAE, and Jordan and Bahrain I enjoy the Middle Eastern culture, hospitality (to a level I have never seen before), and the religion commitment. These are the only places I left my car, flat open and I never had to be concern that something might get stolen.

Now Bahrain is the place where everybody goes when lookin' for some action.

Nonetheless, I would gladly visit these folks. Me, and my crew use to travel across EU during the prime days of MK9/MKX, so why the hell not. Depends rather on the time and logistics.

SpiceWeasel

Nothing personal mate!
Yea let´s follow these oil smeared Pied Piper of the Saudi Arabian on his propaganda Fairytale in the Desert BUT of course don´t be queer or even worse a woman....

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
SonicFox got an invitation to play gamers8 despite the orientation. Sonic didnt go because because of lack of confidence to win the thing.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Well the NRS scene already has Saudi support with online tournaments & sponsored players through PrincePanther & his team Team Panther which has several notable players. There’s also Saudi Fighting Game League.

Even though I’m retired from competitive Mortal Kombat, I’d go if they paid for the flight & hotel if they asked me. The potential payouts would likely surpass anything any other tournament before & the experience of a lifetime in a country & a culture much different than my own. Why not? I may not agree with some of the politics & policies that are involved with visiting Saudi Arabia but it’s certainly not a dealbreaker.