What's new

If balance, mechanics, and depth are your priorities, why do you play MK?

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I value balance, mechanics, etc, within a framework of a game that appeals to me in terms of visuals, characters and nostalgia (because I did grow up with MK1)

I don't play any other fighting games because while they may have the technical aspect down (in some cases better than MK perhaps), the visuals & characters dont appeal to me.

DeftMonk

Noob
I value balance, mechanics, etc, within a framework of a game that appeals to me in terms of visuals, characters and nostalgia (because I did grow up with MK1)

I don't play any other fighting games because while they may have the technical aspect down (in some cases better than MK perhaps), the visuals & characters dont appeal to me.
I used to have the exact mindset as you but if you don’t ever try anime fighters bro ur missing out. I highly recommend guilty gear. Just remember ur roots and keep playin mk too haha.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I used to have the exact mindset as you but if you don’t ever try anime fighters bro ur missing out. I highly recommend guilty gear. Just remember ur roots and keep playin mk too haha.
I enjoyed the older MVC games, now days I can't really play much of the anime style games mostly due to the damn specials giving me a migraine lol. I think they also warn for people with sight issues and can cause epileptic seizures I always wondered why they put that but after playing the anime fighters, I see why lol.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
If the opportunity presented itself, I would definitely try it even if I will always return to MK for different reasons. Due to that fact though, spending money to own it is a waste since even if I like it, i'll end up going back to MK. I also dont have as much time as I used to to play games so when i do have the time, i rather play a game I love and am good at then learn a new one.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
MK was the first video game I ever played in my life, I literally grew up along side it. So even if at times the way some of the games play aren't my favorite I just love Mortal Kombat, the characters, the lore, universe etc. so I play it because it's Mortal Kombat.

just a thread of people beatin themselves off to balance and depth. well there's barely any depth and people here love talking about the balance but barely anyone outside the top 10 is played.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
Because NRS games are the only fighting games that actually look good and have cool characters, the rest is just Asian mumbo-jumbo with characters that look like the most generic person walking down the street.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
just a thread of people beatin themselves off to balance and depth. well there's barely any depth and people here love talking about the balance but barely anyone outside the top 10 is played.
Geras, Sonya, Cassie, D'Vorah, Jade, Jax, Frost, Cetrion, Kitana, Johnny, Jacqui, and Nightwolf have all been used with varying levels of success in recent tournament Finals while literally the entire rest of the cast outside of Raiden and Kollector have been used pretty successfully throughout tournaments.

Where you getting this idea of only the top 10 mattering from? Many pros are specifically making sure they have multiple mains or at least a few pocket characters because this game doesnt have any "I Win" characters. Also, even if you were right about "only the top 10," that sure as fuck beats the top 1-4 shit from MK9 and MKX.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
I play this game because I like balance, mechanics, and depth. Those are my priorities.

I Love anime but all that shit is so weird lol
I love manga and anime too, but i can't stand the way the design female characters. For example, Mikasa in Shingeki no Kyojin is a good example of strong woman with unique characteristics, but such design rarely found in Japanese fighting games
Mk9 says hi lol
I hate MK9 design too. The only reason why I played it was there was no other MK around at the time to play, and becaues of nostalgia. I'm glad NRS realized the mistake and made Injustice 1, MKX, Injustice 2 and MK11 much better

Street Fighter , Tekken, MvC etc. are not anime fighters. Guilty gear, DBfighterZ and BlazeBlue are.

Just bc it's made by a Japanese developer it's not anime by default.

Don't forget that many 90's popular US cartoons like TMNT, Thundercats, Transformers, Bucky ohare etc. were drawn by Asian teams, if not inspired

Last edited:

Parasurama

Dragon
It is quite balanced. I like the mechanics. In terms of depth, there may be more to come and I wouldn’t mind but I like the atmosphere of MK.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
MK is indeed more casual friendly historically, and still is, but the games could've still be played competitively, from MK1 all the way to MK11, and almost all fighting games from all franchises suffered from balance issues with the exception of very few. yet it didn't stop the games from being played at a high level for being deep, fun and competitive, regardless of the series, including MK. And if MK got knocked out of a chance of getting such recognition, that was only because of either the community's attitude (as we have seen back in the day with the online-only mentality that the community had back in the 3D games era, or even in just the attitude of so many members in the community even in recent years) or because others outside of the communities didn't wanted to give it a chance (EVO, for one, regardless of the money and the history it has behind, is still just a big party made by Capcom fans, so bias is in full affect as long as they can go, while they let other broken, unbalanced games to rule their events). And yet MK keeps going on and to improve every time, while almost all other franchises just get worse and worse, even in the competitive department, in addition to the casual market that MK already had in it's clutches, and nobody can deny that. Period.

Street Fighter , Tekken, MvC etc. are not anime fighters. Guilty gear, DBfighterZ and BlazeBlue are.

Just bc it's made by a Japanese developer it's not anime by default.

Don't forget that many 90's popular US cartoons like TMNT, Thundercats, Transformers, Bucky ohare etc. were drawn by Asian teams, if not inspired
Not to go off topic too much but the TMNT cartoon was drawn by an American team, not Asian. Just so you know. :)

trufenix

bye felicia
If anyone thinks this game has problems and one of the main ones is balance...well. MvC3 is one of my favorite games of all time if not my favorite, but that game had less balance than Yokozuna on a see saw with a midget
You don't even have to go that far back, i still have deadshot and alien ptsd )=

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Cause the only other games I can play as a big green aztec god, are tekken tag 2, and street fighter X tekken, and I just can't do that to myself.

Geras, Sonya, Cassie, D'Vorah, Jade, Jax, Frost, Cetrion, Kitana, Johnny, Jacqui, and Nightwolf have all been used with varying levels of success in recent tournament Finals while literally the entire rest of the cast outside of Raiden and Kollector have been used pretty successfully throughout tournaments.

Where you getting this idea of only the top 10 mattering from? Many pros are specifically making sure they have multiple mains or at least a few pocket characters because this game doesnt have any "I Win" characters. Also, even if you were right about "only the top 10," that sure as fuck beats the top 1-4 shit from MK9 and MKX.
Well I mean more than half of those characters you named off are in the top 10 or very close to it. Mkx had about 1-8 but mkx was just more fun to watch at times. And you said some shit like elder god tier roster? Yeah come off that

DeftMonk

Noob
Because NRS games are the only fighting games that actually look good and have cool characters, the rest is just Asian mumbo-jumbo with characters that look like the most generic person walking down the street.
Bro I dunno what street ur walking down but guilty gear characters are some of the weirdest shit I have ever seen. Theres one dude who is passed out on a bed while the bed beats the shit out of people. Also a shark-mech with human shaped teeth / arms and legs and some guy inside of it's mouth (possibly controlling it?)who is for some reason accompanied by a dog (also inside the shark's mouth).
If I ever saw this thing walking down the street I would be quite alarmed.