What's new

Ideas to improve upon mk10/ nrs games in general

Some of my ideas, tell me yours.

1. I love patches, patch stupid shit, like black adams backdash and supermans stuff, and infinite and garbage like kung lao's original spin. Patches make the game better, they force people to adapt and stop being spoiled children, and they spice up the meta, and they produce massive amounts of salt which can pave roads in the winter.

2.Give characters tons of tools , but make sure all of them are reasonably fair, in regards to the rest of their moves. NRS does this, but characters in injustice i.e. scorpion or doomsday often found 1 dimensional and limited playstyles. If everything else about scorpion was better, (i.e. mobility, spear recovery, string range and startup) and his teleport was less incredible (perhaps fast invulnerability on startup, and a much longer duration frames so the started can both be reacted to by the opponent, but also used on reaction in some counter-zoning situations so it can punish negative moves.) he would have a less stupid jump around liek a dickweed and force you to guess between teleport or not, and/or jump 3 and vortex crap playstyle.

If doomsday's shoulder was worst, and everything else was better and whoever came up with earth shake was fired(just kidding), then he might be less able to be played by a 3 year old. (not that three year olds shouldn't be able to play the game, we are talking about competitive, people who don't play competitive would get wrecked by raidens superman which is highly unsafe.)

3.meter burn is a revolutionary mechanic (the delayed input and all that jazz allowing you to choose or react with it), and should be in every game ever created that has meter, it creates so many amazing options and mechanics. It allows for balance of moves, and allows for so many interesting things and situations that can be done.

4.Trait is also the best thing ever created. What if, in future games more than 1 move was like this. What if, multiple special moves were given trait-like aspects, or cooldowns. The cooldown aspect allows for balance and the ability to give characters overpowered moves with setbacks. Things like bane's venom drawback, or simple timing delays. It'd be like league of legends or an rpg in that way, but still a fighting game. it'd be the merging of genres, the correlation of somewhat related fields, which the future of earth's people.

Someone else made a thread about all this stuff about drawbacks in move, something tortoise or something (give credit to tortoiseman), his ideas were solid in general but some of them i wanted to smack him for. The more choices the more complex and rewarding the game and mindgames can be. And the more fun noobs can have fucking around with the game.

Bill Parcells would tell you about the old axiom "increasing variables reduces performance," when discussing nfl rule changes and referees. In a sense, too many options might cause problems with balance. That being said we are talking about fundamental balancing features from which i understand can be cheaply changed with nrs' new system of hotfixes in which things have inputs and they can change it and all that jazz. So if something like zod's trait has too little cooldown, they can fix it. Because zod is broken, and perfect legend is wrong.

5. Trait continued, each trait could have multiple methods of use like zods bullcrap, each with different implications and cooldown.

Strings

1.Risk/Reward analysis with moves in general. Each move has fair drawbacks and uses. For example

Superman's f23 (credits to this thinking from Anti-Static) and johnny cage forward 333

Why does superman's forward 23 have amazing startup, launch, have a good anti-aerial hitbox and it is advancing and have good range??? it renders all of his other strings for the most part inferior outside of jumpins. It should atleast not have one of those, like a launch, or amazing startup. But his other strings should be less poopy. Some strings like 111, are 90+% of the time kind of pointless.

2.each normal should have an intented purpose.
I.E. long range pokes, possibly being smaller damage, or unsafe certain situations or slower startup
faster close/mid range moves which lead to mixup and or pressure or launching situations
standing reset strings, combo extenders and anti-airs

A)normals could have very clear and specific uses. Some strings could be used for chip damage, other strings could have a specific quirk at the end of it which would enable for a setup. Like a string could end in a lex probe or something which is cancellable, a kind of mindgame like that.

2. Control Scheme

the switch stance button is kind of a wasted button slot. In a game like injustice, this button could have been used as a completely new feature. "Left Trigger" could be used as many things, all in one.

1. it could be used to control the power and trajectory of specials
2. It could be used as a meterless method for altering specials like a "delayed" version
3. It could be used as a stop on a dime feature. It would hold your character in place regardless of your, and could even be used to cancel dashes, so movement could be more modifiable and have a higher level . You would still have to hold back to block what not.

I am tired, sorry for my illegible borderline crazy rants. More later maybe, food for thought if it isn't tl:DR material for whomever wishes to read it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
2.Give characters tons of tools , but make sure all of them are reasonably fair, in regards to the rest of their moves. NRS does this, but characters in injustice i.e. scorpion or doomsday often found 1 dimensional and limited playstyles. If everything else about scorpion was better, (i.e. mobility, spear recovery, string range and startup) and his teleport was less incredible (perhaps fast invulnerability on startup, and a much longer duration frames so the started can both be reacted to by the opponent, but also used on reaction in some counter-zoning situations so it can punish negative moves.) he would have a less stupid jump around liek a dickweed and force you to guess between teleport or not, and/or jump 3 and vortex crap playstyle.
Agree 100% on this. The problem with Scorpion wasn't that his teleport was dialed back.. Because it wouldn't have mattered as much if he was given some decent footsie tools to compensate.

Character designs that reward smart/varied play are super rewarding in the long run.

Last edited:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Regarding the string thing

Take a game like KI .... where there is a very finite set of moves. Emphasizing spacing and execution

Take a game like Tekken.... where there is a plethora of strings. Spacing and Execution are emphasized, but you can also "gimmick" out someone by simply using something that no on really ever sees.

I'm not sure where you were really trying to go with that ....... but i prefer the KI way more so than the Tekken way.

One thing that is very noticeable in Injustice that i wish wasn't there is the acceleration when starting to walk, i understand that it is a design choice but i can't think of a good reason for it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
One thing that is very noticeable in Injustice that i wish wasn't there is the acceleration when starting to walk, i understand that it is a design choice but i can't think of a good reason for it.
I think that's one of the bigger reasons for people complaining about "slow walk speed". Playing a character like the Flash who doesn't have much acceleration feels completely different in terms of walking back/forth to play footsies.

Whereas Green Lantern, who supposedly has one of the faster walk speeds once you reach it, takes forever to accelerate, making his walk extremely slow in neutral for anything useful.