What's new

I want to learn Shang Tsung! Tips?

AkTiVe

o.o
I'd like to say that I have great execution so I want to get straight to the point with him. What are some useful BnB's/Frame Traps/Resets?

Noob
I'm not great at MK9 by any means, nor is my Shang even good.... but his Anti-Air 1 is one of the best in the game. Learn it, love it, live it... and make your opponent respect it and stay out of the air because of it.

AkTiVe

o.o
I'm not great at MK9 by any means, nor is my Shang even good.... but his Anti-Air 1 is one of the best in the game. Learn it, love it, live it... and make your opponent respect it and stay out of the air because of it.

If its the 1+2 , 1+2 , 1+2, 1+2 into a falling down skulls then yes his AA is Godlike

kanaida

Kanaida (MK9 Dashboard for android)
Learn all fireballs into muscle memory. All shang players I've seen are technical and greatly under use his fireballs. His physical attacks work up close, but I own matches across the screen before I even let them get near. Also learn basic moves of mall chars because the soul steal is very useful for offsetting shot for shot fights where shang might feel too slow like vs reptile.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Realize that shang is a very versatile character. His weakness is definetly in his defense though with poor wake up attacks and a high hitbox. He also has a very tough learning curve (at least in mk) so stay calm and keep working.

kanaida

Very true. Best bet is learn to move out of the way. Down +forward kick is your best friend. Super cool steal too, has plenty of armor. It took me about 6 months to a year to say I mastered him. Every day practice. Now I can seamlessly apply pressure and combos, specials and fancy tricks no matter what character I morph to. The best is doing their own Xray on them out of nowhere :) some are about 60% damage. Especially grappling ones. You gotta be good with everyone pretty much tho.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Very true. Best bet is learn to move out of the way. Down +forward kick is your best friend. Super cool steal too, has plenty of armor. It took me about 6 months to a year to say I mastered him. Every day practice. Now I can seamlessly apply pressure and combos, specials and fancy tricks no matter what character I morph to. The best is doing their own Xray on them out of nowhere :) some are about 60% damage. Especially grappling ones. You gotta be good with everyone pretty much tho.
mastered shang? im not being funny dude but ive never heard of you or seen you mentioned as a shang player anywhere,still if your that good then props i guess.i play shang myself and although im awful with him i think i understand how he's supposed to be played.imo shang is the most interesting character in the game and soulsteal is proberly the most underrated move in the game and you can abuse the fuck out of it which every shang player should do.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
lol so you "dance" your way out of combos because you never break, believe most shangs underuse his frametraps, pride yourself at being able to do combos and believe that an xray while morphed is "unexpected"

lmao

kanaida

I move around opponents messing up their spacing. I use training mode to figure out actual attack distances of attacks and exploit that letting them think they'll hit me when in face they miss, eg. Standing at the end of a shadow kick just out of range for example. Or just barely out of jump kick distance. The other thing I focused on is punishment, some people give you very small windows of attack like reptile and mileena, so I learned tiny counters to shove them into big combos. I'd say 1,3 is his most useful and underused method of punishing teleporters. I don't use breakers because its a waste of valuable power for attacks when I can just be more careful and avoid getting hit in the first place, and if I do get hit, my up skulls immediately break their combos when they come down. What I admire about shang is that you need to play him like a chess master, everything is best predicted far in advance. After a while its like a reflex faking people out and punishing. Try not using breakers for about 50 matches and trust me youll find escape routes too. With discipline you'll end up using just the right exit vs each char. Faster ones like scorpion are still s bit harder because their mixups are so fast, but now I can almost fully avoid him without blocking so I don't get trapped in the first place. I guess the trick is looking at how they set you up, then avoid doing that one thing. Usually its jumping.

kanaida

And what I meant by mastered shang is that I feel he is my reflex now. I use all fireballs, combos, escapes and pokes, pressure and handle morphs with fluidity where I can do other peoples stuff and continue a combo in the middle if he morphed back. Well that and I beat 99% of all shangs I play on xbox live ranked matches. I'd like to say they were damn good too. You know the ones that send you Juggling into the corner and doing really complex stuff. Dashing and blocking all over the place like stutters. Maybe they're just used to playing similar opponents. I'm not saying I'm the best, but I don't usually loose. If I do its usually some top 10 guys. Except cashruler lol... I beat him more times than I can count. He's a fair player though, you can feel a thinking human behind the character. Menzorockero I beat once as well, think he's #2 or close. I haven't beat immortal angel a full 2 rounds yet, but I can take him a round or so. His kung Lao doesn't give me problems no more, just the scorpion. Not sure why but he seems unusually fast. He's always sending me nasty messages tho, not to sportsmanlike.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
i want to see this godlike shang.@kanaida show us some vids so i can bow to your shang tsung greatness

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
you must be playing pretty horrible people if you think spacing yourself well is unusual, you wont survive in a tournament unless you do it and its standard

online people are scrubs, nobody cares about them nor are they good, rank means shit

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
you must be playing pretty horrible people if you think spacing yourself well is unusual, you wont survive in a tournament unless you do it and its standard

online people are scrubs, nobody cares about them nor are they good, rank means shit
i agree that rank means shit but c'mon man you cant say everyone online is shit.alot of people like myself have no choice but to play online as i simply havent the time to get to events.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
i agree that rank means shit but c'mon man you cant say everyone online is shit.alot of people like myself have no choice but to play online as i simply havent the time to get to events.
online people as in online randoms, not tym folk

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
online people as in online randoms, not tym folk
Ya we try to play with some offline semblance...which actually gets me blown up against jump happy randoms on potato modems.

Re: Shang his frame traps are dope. If Ur on psn look for emperor_dark to give you some tips
Edit : meant that for the OP. gawd I needZ meh coffeez

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Ya we try to play with some offline semblance...which actually gets me blown up against jump happy randoms on potato modems.

Re: Shang his frame traps are dope. If Ur on psn look for emperor_dark to give you some tips
Edit : meant that for the OP. gawd I needZ meh coffeez
thats stupid, even in europe when i play online i usually have 1-2 of my select few sparring partners on.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I'd like to say that I have great execution so I want to get straight to the point with him. What are some useful BnB's/Frame Traps/Resets?
Learn every character's most damaging bnb and basics so that you can abuse the hell out of damage boost.

kanaida

Geez, every time I make a post someone comes back with negativity lol... What I meant is that most people who I play online, just dash and block (the better ones, or should I say the hyper ones). It's amost like they played kabal, johnny and scorpion all of their life then tried to play shang the same way instead of using his advantages, and there are many besides the F4,du4. It works i guess on most people, but I just see that as more places for them to make mistakes. In contrast, I move and attack only when I actually have to or I can get clean hits. Momentum plays a big part, I like to make it akward for them.

DetroitBalln

tupac aint dead
B1, standing 1, f2, standing 2, and d4 are all great anti airs.

B1 is his best AA IMO

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Here, i whooped someone just for u.
dude are you fucking serious? that guy clearly had no idea wtf he was doing.i want to see you play shang in single matches not shitty tag. in fact i challenge you to a shang mirror first to five

kanaida

u got xbox live? or live in florida (near miami)? i'll take the challenge. Just pm me anytime, my tag is Kana1da. I'm jumping online right now.