What's new

Video/Tutorial - Ronin I think more ppl should revisit/visit Ronin.

delbuster

hungry
Ronin got substantial buffs. Looking through his options I think he is top tier. but don't mind me.
He has a really poor low starter in b3 so I would advise against using it, but he has a lot of options in neutral and in pressure i think.

I am pretty new to the character, so I'd like to hear thoughts from more seasoned players. I've seen other Ronins on streams that don't seem to be optimizing situations so we can start with that.

I have a few vids to share...

For those new to Ronin, he has a move (db1) that drops the blade, and then he can do an attack out of it (db1) or recall it with no hitbox (df1) which is faster.
Normally, the attack does not launch high enough for a followup without EXing it. However, certain spacings allow it to only hit once or twice in a way that launches them. Off most strings it is very finicky, but the hitreaction from a close enough b21 will cause it midscreen to give Ronin higher damage output off of it.

Otherwise, Ronin will need meter to do bigger damage.

Thankfully, he has the 21 restand to buff his combos (restanding makes gravity scale less hard) and also to give him combo ender options for pressure. Restanding into df3 piercing spark gives decent advantage (doesn't jail though), restanding into db1 to toss the blade allows for interesting mixups and pressure starting, and he can always just end with bf2 flurry punch.

Some f1 combos in there too.
In the corner especially, Ronin will need meter to make most things hurt outside of the b112 which launches into combos.

I'm missing a basic combo vid with midscreen things like b112 21 bf2.
-

Ronin's pressure game is also quite good and I think it makes up for his meterless combos. The main reason is the speed and range of some of his options; he can poke with mids and overheads at a range that most characters cannot fight back, and the frame data helps out. His b1, b2, and 2 are 11-13 frames, and lead to frame advantage of around -1 to +3 on certain things. Takeda will have to beware of armor and backdashes but the threats are there.

While there was an old thread in July about the frame data on blade calls/toss cancels on strings, I am still not sure how accurate some things are.

b21 2+4 db1 with blade seems to be around +3 which is solid.
f1 2+4 first hit db1 with blade seems to be around -1.
33 db1 with blade around 0, but should probably use b21 instead.

f1 2+4 first hit df1 without blade LOOKS to be around +1, I am not too sure. I can trade Takeda's d1 (8f) with Cassie's reversal flip kick (7f) after she blocks but it might be some sort of hitbox thing.

33 df1 without blade is around +2, I actually beat Cassie's flip kick with d1 after block.

(no access to b21 without blade).

Also, it seems like the window to do the db1 blade attack after throwing down the blade is earlier than the window to do normal attacks, so you can frame trap more easily with that. However, the blade attack is like -9ish on block usually, so it is risky.

Finally, his EX df3 projectile is a mid and +6 on block, which is a pretty sweet tool, though Ronin is very meter hungry. Hopefully, Takeda's pressure will gain a lot of meter to let him play how he wants.
-

Takeda's armor options are definitely better in this version. While Shirai Ryu may get more damage off of his, Ronin's are much more reliable b/c they are fast. exDB1 with blade is pretty big, and exDB1 without blade actually has armor for a short amount of time, so if you want your blade back you probably can get it back reliably with a meter, but it comes with the risk of getting punished as the armor is very short.

-

Let me know what you think. Ronin general thread is a little bit inactive and I feel like new Ronin players are starting much further back than they should.

Last edited:

Xev

Noob
Good stuff! Ronins always been one of my favorite variations and post patch it's definitely been my most played character so far.

delbuster

hungry
it's really slow and has no kombo strings and the midscreen db1 db1 float is really finicky. It's more reliable to use an ex launcher (bf2 or db1 db1ex) but I don't think it should hit b/c it's so slow.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
it's really slow and has no kombo strings and the midscreen db1 db1 float is really finicky. It's more reliable to use an ex launcher (bf2 or db1 db1ex) but I don't think it should hit b/c it's so slow.
How much is the startup on that move?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
21f

I dont think Ronin is top tier but it is one of the most versatile characters in the game:
Offense: Blade drop/kall pressure is legit, not to mention he can end combos in restands to run up for more pressure
Defense: Has great wakeups(not safe but w/e), has good anti airs, has a reflect and great counterzoning tools.
Footsies: Has great footsies with f12 2+4 and most of his normals have good range
Zoning: Hes no Quan Chi but if he needs to sit back and throw sparks he can do so. Not to mention EX spark absorbs all other projectiles.

Only thing I feel he is truly lacking in is meterless damage.

Edit: B3 I find is a good whiff punishing tool or just something to catch the opponent off guard. I dont find it hard to combo off of either(Its actually one of the only moves that can combo from close blade drop and regular blade drop equally).

hayatei

Noob
21f

I dont think Ronin is top tier but it is one of the most versatile characters in the game:
Offense: Blade drop/kall pressure is legit, not to mention he can end combos in restands to run up for more pressure
Defense: Has great wakeups(not safe but w/e), has good anti airs, has a reflect and great counterzoning tools.
Footsies: Has great footsies with f12 2+4 and most of his normals have good range
Zoning: Hes no Quan Chi but if he needs to sit back and throw sparks he can do so. Not to mention EX spark absorbs all other projectiles.

Only thing I feel he is truly lacking in is meterless damage.

Edit: B3 I find is a good whiff punishing tool or just something to catch the opponent off guard. I dont find it hard to combo off of either(Its actually one of the only moves that can combo from close blade drop and regular blade drop equally).
he could easily be top 10 material post-patch

Wigy

There it is...
20 frames

Its a bit finnicky getting close blade call under pressure off a single input string as well.

New ronin is awesome, hes my secondary now.

B21 2+3 sword toss f12 3+4 sword call, (mixup between doing it on second or first hit of 3+4) followed by another b21 2+3 or 21 (since its +2) then b112. Poking out of the f12 3+4 sword call can tricky since they don't know if it will come from second or first hit and spacing doesn't even allow some characters to poke they have to use advancing moves or armour. Which is when you backdash njp or jump back bf4.

Don't neglect f3 on + frames since it can break some slow armour is safe and has great range.

Basically ronin has a really strong pressure meta game with + frames and mind games for days.

Not to mention his bf4 is an excellent tool now as non ex version is not punishable! And ex version actually grants some damage outside shira riu now. Full screen punish projectiles on read with jump bf4 ex rc 21 fist flurry.

Constantly check people with 21, the spacing is perfect for b112 follow up and you're +2

After a sword call at the end of a combo i also like to do a sword toss, if they wakeup you can blow it up since sword call has mutliple hits and launches (if you wana spend the meter). Once they respect this, you can move in for f12 3+4 sword call + frames. Even better i've found that moves that are pseudo safe due to knockback like one of kotals wakeups. Can be punished on block with sword call if you have it under them on wakeup.

Of this im sure is old news but i thought i'd have it in an easily digestable post for new ronins like me

Last edited:

ATIWAB

Noob
Another cool thing to note that people don't tend to mention is Ronin's reflect turns into an absorb and restores health when meter burned. Not always worth the bar but can be clutch.

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
It's slow but it's meant to catch a person getting off the ground off guard when they're expecting an overhead.
Also, what do you mean by no combo strings? B3 into exBF2 leads into a full combo.

Zoidberg747

Block infinite on certain characters:

B21 2+4 blade drop f1 2+4 blade kall repeat. If they dont have an armored reversal they cant do anything(always do mid blade drop because then if they try to take the hit you can EX it for a combo into restand and repeat).

Also some frame data on blade drop/cancels:

b21 2+4 blade drop is about +4
F1 2+4 quick kall is about +10

Expect some nerfs in the coming days lol.

Percimon

Sky above, Voice within
How do you count frame data on blade drop/cancels? (I understand how to count it in common cases, but not in this one...)

Also:
Why b21 2+4 blade drop is about +4? I can do throw (with start-up of 10 frames) in the corner with Lao's Spin or Gotcha Grab of Jax.

ATIWAB

Noob
Adjusting to Ronin from SR has been pretty difficult. Feels like there's no way to get out of being zoned outside of prayer EX Spark knockdowns, blade call is very hard to get used to but I see the potential. On paper, Ronin is definitely better than other variations now; in practice, shit's hard to get used to and I seem to freeze up in ranked matches where SR I can basically sleep through them.

skater11

The saltiest
Ronin is really good. Just hard to gain momentum with, atleast for me. Maybe I should play him more idk. But this thread has a lot of great info on how he should be played.
Edit: I feel ronin also gains a lot out of HKDs. Especially after the few nerfs he will be getting.

There's a reason takeda was on the bottom off the tier list. Ronins great if you can get in and get the blade drop and summon consistently. I played him pre patch and if your out of jump in range against a good player you're gonna have a bad time. The safe tornado kick and faster fireball should make it a bit easier now though

Zoidberg747

There's a reason takeda was on the bottom off the tier list. Ronins great if you can get in and get the blade drop and summon consistently. I played him pre patch and if your out of jump in range against a good player you're gonna have a bad time. The safe tornado kick and faster fireball should make it a bit easier now though
F1 2+4 is a great footsie tool. Against a lot of characters you should actually try and keep them out with blade spark, f1 footsies, then by the time they get in he can go into his great blockstring pressure game. If they try and zone you back you can use reflect.

Before the patch Takeda's variations were all mid tier at best, true. But after the patch Ronin Takeda is no doubt top 10, possibly top 5.

He is probably the most versatile character in the game at the moment. Hopefully if they do nerf him they dont nerf him too hard.

skater11

The saltiest
I was really into him pre patch. I haven't tried him in a while but he has some nice spacing tools and the obvious blade drop setups. Opponents can't wakeup attack when they are near the blade. And I believe he also gets a guaranteed blade drop, blade kall after a successful throw.

F1 2+4 is a great footsie tool. Against a lot of characters you should actually try and keep them out with blade spark, f1 footsies, then by the time they get in he can go into his great blockstring pressure game. If they try and zone you back you can use reflect.

Before the patch Takeda's variations were all mid tier at best, true. But after the patch Ronin Takeda is no doubt top 10, possibly top 5.

He is probably the most versatile character in the game at the moment. Hopefully if they do nerf him they dont nerf him too hard.
Hah yup. Enjoy him while it lasts!

Zoidberg747

I was really into him pre patch. I haven't tried him in a while but he has some nice spacing tools and the obvious blade drop setups. Opponents can't wakeup attack when they are near the blade. And I believe he also gets a guaranteed blade drop, blade kall after a successful throw.
He gets a guaranteed blade drop if he has the blade, blade kall if he doesnt. I know thats what you meant but just clarifying. Always make sure it is a mid drop because if the opponent decides to wakeup(Sub's slide as an example) you can punish with f1 2+4 into a full combo that ends in a restand. If you're brave enough you can even go for another throw. If they dont wakeup you can just F1 2+4 quick kall for frame advantage.

And im sure this is known too but the "block infinite" is even more dangerous because if you think they are going to armor out of the gap between the blade drop and the f1, you can just EX blade call to shred armor and still be safe if you guessed wrong. Shit is insane.

ArcticTabasco

I wish I knew Kung Fu.
I think ronin is now what it originally was meant to be. Though I have to say that the block infinite against certain characters is unnecessary, he doesn't need that. But now he's definitely fun to play, whereas pre-patch ronin just felt like work.

He gets a guaranteed blade drop if he has the blade, blade kall if he doesnt. I know thats what you meant but just clarifying. Always make sure it is a mid drop because if the opponent decides to wakeup(Sub's slide as an example) you can punish with f1 2+4 into a full combo that ends in a restand. If you're brave enough you can even go for another throw. If they dont wakeup you can just F1 2+4 quick kall for frame advantage.

And im sure this is known too but the "block infinite" is even more dangerous because if you think they are going to armor out of the gap between the blade drop and the f1, you can just EX blade call to shred armor and still be safe if you guessed wrong. Shit is insane.
Hey, can you educate me on his infinite)? I have just been told by some experienced players (non Takeda though:)) that you can get out of his "infinite" by just getting hit with no consequences what so ever) and I would like to check this information.
And I also wanted to ask about that thing in the corner that Sonic was talking about:
I was looking at this too holy shit lol. I KNEW he had a block infinite. You can actually do this in the corner to from F122+4 toss sword f122+4 recall F122+4 toss sword loop.
IF you time it perfectly only cassie and kung lao can get out of the sword toss without meter. But they HAVE to use meter to get out of the rekall. Takeda is dumb LOL
Is it legit?!