What's new

Strategy - Goro I think I've hit a wall with Goro.

Agilaz

It has begun
I've been playing Goro (as a secondary) since launch. The first two weeks went well enough, people didn't know the match-up, setups were still being discovered...

We're a month in now, and I'm doing much much worse with him. Especially against Scorpions, I find I pretty much can't press any buttons cause I'll get punished for anything I do. I'm reduced to just sitting back and holding block until they do something really stupid.

I know Goro usually doesn't give any fucks with his EX-punch walk, but without meter I might as well put the controller down and get a drink.

Anybody else in the same boat? Has your experienced changed with Goro? Maybe I've misjudged Goro to begin with, maybe I was playing him wrong from the beginning...

SPY

Noob
I've been playing Goro (as a secondary) since launch. The first two weeks went well enough, people didn't know the match-up, setups were still being discovered...

We're a month in now, and I'm doing much much worse with him. Especially against Scorpions, I find I pretty much can't press any buttons cause I'll get punished for anything I do. I'm reduced to just sitting back and holding block until they do something really stupid.

I know Goro usually doesn't give any fucks with his EX-punch walk, but without meter I might as well put the controller down and get a drink.

Anybody else in the same boat? Has your experienced changed with Goro? Maybe I've misjudged Goro to begin with, maybe I was playing him wrong from the beginning...
I think there is nothing for opponent to adapt on Goro's strings and specials. Goro's common strings and footsies is safe on block, so they can't optimize their punishes or start a free mixup. There is only single gap in his common strings - b12[gap]u2 that can be interrupted, but b12u2 is a bad block string to begin with, plus you can alway can go for PW cancel or b12u1 since there is no block-OS anymore. They cannot adapt to d1~SG\PW it is always a guess. If you have meter they need to guess after blocked PW too. They must respect Goro on their wake up since exPW have 2hit armor and 3d3 break armor easily. You can opt to go for a PW or block if they used to Tigrar Fury's Dragon Breath shenanigans.

They will learn to react to Fireballs\Shokan Bolt and Ground Pound with teleports for a free punish, they will learn to just run out from random Telestomp for a free punish or techroll~backdash from a setup one. This will happen if they force you to play their zoning and footsie game, but this follows from Goro's lack of mobility, close range strings and up close oriented game. So just learn their strings, optimize punishes, find gaps, adapt to their gameplan and just be patient and better player. Cheers!

Agilaz

It has begun
I think there is nothing for opponent to adapt on Goro's strings and specials. Goro's common strings and footsies is safe on block, so they can't optimize their punishes or start a free mixup. There is only single gap in his common strings - b12[gap]u2 that can be interrupted, but b12u2 is a bad block string to begin with, plus you can alway can go for PW cancel or b12u1 since there is no block-OS anymore. They cannot adapt to d1~SG\PW it is always a guess. If you have meter they need to guess after blocked PW too. They must respect Goro on their wake up since exPW have 2hit armor and 3d3 break armor easily. You can opt to go for a PW or block if they used to Tigrar Fury's Dragon Breath shenanigans.

They will learn to react to Fireballs\Shokan Bolt and Ground Pound with teleports for a free punish, they will learn to just run out from random Telestomp for a free punish or techroll~backdash from a setup one. This will happen if they force you to play their zoning and footsie game, but this follows from Goro's lack of mobility, close range strings and up close oriented game. So just learn their strings, optimize punishes, find gaps, adapt to their gameplan and just be patient and better player. Cheers!

Thanks. I think my problem with Goro is the same one I have with Jason. Most of his normals and his normal strings are safe, but so slow that they get stuffed by most other things. I knew this from the start, obviously, but it's only now that people use their fast pokes correctly that I'm starting to struggle with landing anything.

Ah well, back to losing to random Scorpions and Mileenas.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Random Scorpions and Mileenas won't armor through your d1 xx fang spin/punch walk/command grab anyway, as soon as you are worse than 0 on block just ex punchwalk their buttons and keep on d1 special canceling when you are at 0. Goro does a lot of chip and builds meter pretty well once he is in so you can generally break if they manage to catch you with their armor. I don't really see the point of the other variations besides Dragon fangs. you just have to walk/run block your way in and forget about his tele stomp and ranged attacks. Frame trap their ass and make em' die with honor.

Agilaz

It has begun
Random Scorpions and Mileenas won't armor through your d1 xx fang spin/punch walk/command grab anyway, as soon as you are worse than 0 on block just ex punchwalk their buttons and keep on d1 special canceling when you are at 0. Goro does a lot of chip and builds meter pretty well once he is in so you can generally break if they manage to catch you with their armor. I don't really see the point of the other variations besides Dragon fangs. you just have to walk/run block your way in and forget about his tele stomp and ranged attacks. Frame trap their ass and make em' die with honor.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I play all 3 variations, but I have the most experience with Kuatan Warrior. The last few days I've gone back to Tigrar and it's growing on me, but I can see how Dragon Fangs would be the better one of the three. Although I do like my ground fireballs...

TZA

Noob
against Scorp just play reactionary while keeping yourself away from the Hellfire unblockable. Everything scorpion does is not only unsafe, but very much reactable on its start-up. I suggest KW

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
HF Scorpion is a difficult match for Goro in general. You need to be patient and punish him hard for any mistakes he does. Other than that, Goro has much better footsies than Scorpion and you can easily check him while at sweep range (Goro's d4>everything Scorpion has, except ex take down and port). That and TG Raiden seem to be his most difficult MU's atm IMO.

All in all Goro is a very solid character, with excellent footsies and pokes, above average dmg (although in the corner he has 40's easily which lead the opponent in the corner again). His only weaknesses are mobility and not solid AA's, although if he had those too he would be OP i believe.

He can destroy everyone and thats the point. At the highest lvl he wont be as brain dead as people believe.

PS: KW Goro all the way.

Agilaz

It has begun
HF Scorpion is a difficult match for Goro in general. You need to be patient and punish him hard for any mistakes he does. Other than that, Goro has much better footsies than Scorpion and you can easily check him while at sweep range (Goro's d4>everything Scorpion has, except ex take down and port). That and TG Raiden seem to be his most difficult MU's atm IMO.

All in all Goro is a very solid character, with excellent footsies and pokes, above average dmg (although in the corner he has 40's easily which lead the opponent in the corner again). His only weaknesses are mobility and not solid AA's, although if he had those too he would be OP i believe.

He can destroy everyone and thats the point. At the highest lvl he wont be as brain dead as people believe.

PS: KW Goro all the way.
I agree he's a solid character, any problems I have while playing him are mainly my own.

Do you have any tips on landing d1 after a d2 in the corner? Is there a trick to it or does it all come down to muscle memory? Is it even practical? :p

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
If your main problem is with Scorpion I wouldn't say you're hitting a wall. Scorpion (except Ninjitsu) seems to just be a tough match up as of right now with any variation you choose. He's one of the few characters that Goro can't punish on knockdown (B3 punchwalk can't stop MB wakeup teleport) so it's hard to pressure him. If he's playing inferno you have to respect all of his options from full screen, (Teleport, low demon, high demon, slide when you get to mid screen) and you can't just tele stomp because he negates the forward backward guessing game by teleporting on reaction.

I feel Hellfire isn't as bad but you do have to watch out for the unblockable fire and be aware of the fact that his flame aura eats armor. You can MB punchwalk his fireball cancels I believe.

No character is without their bad matchups and this is probably one of G-mans.....but hey, he does pretty well against Grandmaster Sub #PunchwalkThatBitchAssIceKlone

Agilaz

It has begun
If your main problem is with Scorpion I wouldn't say you're hitting a wall. Scorpion (except Ninjitsu) seems to just be a tough match up as of right now with any variation you choose. He's one of the few characters that Goro can't punish on knockdown (B3 punchwalk can't stop MB wakeup teleport) so it's hard to pressure him. If he's playing inferno you have to respect all of his options from full screen, (Teleport, low demon, high demon, slide when you get to mid screen) and you can't just tele stomp because he negates the forward backward guessing game by teleporting on reaction.

I feel Hellfire isn't as bad but you do have to watch out for the unblockable fire and be aware of the fact that his flame aura eats armor. You can MB punchwalk his fireball cancels I believe.

No character is without their bad matchups and this is probably one of G-mans.....but hey, he does pretty well against Grandmaster Sub #PunchwalkThatBitchAssIceKlone

Yeah, I figured it's a match-up thing vs Scorpion. I played against a really good HF Scorpion, and even though I lost I actually did considerably better than I do against even a semi-decent Inferno Scorpion. I feel Inferno Scorpions are close to uncatchable when playing as Goro.

He does do well against Grandmaster Sub though. So satisfying to just punchwalk through everything and give (sub-)zero fucks.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
Yeah, I figured it's a match-up thing vs Scorpion. I played against a really good HF Scorpion, and even though I lost I actually did considerably better than I do against even a semi-decent Inferno Scorpion. I feel Inferno Scorpions are close to uncatchable when playing as Goro.

He does do well against Grandmaster Sub though. So satisfying to just punchwalk through everything and give (sub-)zero fucks.
Haha yea man, I feel ya. Inferno Scorp is already a really strong character and if you're playing online he's even tougher to deal with. Just gotta grind the match up out until you get a good feeling for it.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I agree he's a solid character, any problems I have while playing him are mainly my own.

Do you have any tips on landing d1 after a d2 in the corner? Is there a trick to it or does it all come down to muscle memory? Is it even practical? :p
It comes down to practice in the end.