What's new

I need some help!!! Calling all god-like Players

ItzKeene

Noob
Okay so heres the deal:
Mk9 is my first very serious fighting game.
The issue is, i dont have a "Main" Character, and this is where the trouble starts. I've used Plenty of characters ( Ermac, reptile, scorpion,Subby, Cyrax, Etc...) and i never stick with them for more than a week. Its not that im bad with them, actually, im normally very good with some of them. I can do most of the high complex juggle combos with a given character within an hour of picking them up, But i just cant stick with a character.
My playstyle varies as well, I used to be a defensive weapon with sub-Zero, but i also like getting the flawless with Liu Kang's rushdowns and crossups. I guess i just need some advice on how to find "My" character, and how to stick with one, Ive put countless hours in the game, and if i wish i wouldve put all my effort in to one character, so they would be great..... How do you guys pick a main and stick with him???
Also, i kinda like to play with characters you dont see often, any suggestions???

Kwon

---->----
Are you planning on competing in Tournaments? :)

I am not a god-like player, far from it, but i can tell you how i approach this.

Normally, for myself, i first check the full roster of characters, and pick around 10 that i find appealing in looks, and try them out.

Then after testing the different playstyles, i pick two that are most entertaining and suit my preferred playstyle the most.

I then start to focus on those characters, learning everything there is to be learned and only use those online.

When the game was released, i saw a video from the PDP-Tournament where the Epic Tom Brady showcased the skills of Sub-Zero, which was quite entertaining, and i found that this playstyle suited me the most, thus it was an easy choice.

Later on, Rain was released and was a breath of fresh air, so i started training with Rain as well, but my main that i am best with is Sub-Zero.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
It will click for you. I had your issue for around 1 month. Then it clicked. Now I main sub-zero and have pretty much a 0% of going back. But the way I got good with Sektor might work for you.

I do not main Sektor but got quite good with him at a point. The reason I did that was- I wanted to cure my problem of not having a proper main. So I said to myself. No, I wont keep going back and forth between 3-4 characters. I am starting anew. So I picked Sektor, a characer I knew nothing about but looked cool. So I just practised, practised and practised some more. I went online lots and lost lots. But I started to win, I started to get good and I won a good few hundred matches with him online and even mastered him.

If you are really unsure, then maybe pick a wildcard and try to stick with it. Did not work for me though because my altitus was too strong and I had to switch again. But that is one method you could try.

D.Barrett

Pad Warrior
I was the same way, ran through a couple characters, had my mindset on who i would use and then ended up cutting the list short down to 2 characters that i felt really comfertable with. Right now I play Kano, Kenshi, Nightwolf. And each of them resemble a certain type of style i enjoy. Mainly using Kano as my 1st due to the fact that he felt really similar to Guiles style from streetfighter. Calling spamming if you like i dont care, but everyone has their style. I think if your looking for both good rushdown and nice defensive skills/tools you might like Johnny Cage or maybe Cyber-Sub. Not too many people have seen top Cyber-Sub play asside from REO. But Im sure you would enjoy the playstyle of Johnny cage if you want to be able to do great rushdown like Liu Kang. He's not as fast, but has better defensive tools than Liu Kang. But thats just my opinion.

Hoped this helped, good luck finding a main buddy.

ItzKeene

Noob
Maybe some local tournaments, but probably not the large scale ones. Thats the same thing with me, I saw Bradys sub, and i just did what i could to make mine similar to his. Sub was my main for a while, But i just got to where he wasnt enjoyable to use anymore.
And same thing, once rain came out i was all about him, But since its near impossible to pull off some of his juggles online, i sadly have stopped using him for the most part.

Niflheim

Noob
Hey, have you tried Cyber Sub-Zero or Smoke? CSZ has a great rushdown, but then can counter rush-down with his parry and zone with his ice bombs. A great all-around character, but mostly a rushdown. He also has a teleport, incase a situation gets a little too sticky. Do it in the air though, since it's a lot more safe there.
Then there's smoke. Since you like playing defensive but also juggling, you could try smoke. He can play defensive with his Shake/Vibration move(more like counter-zoning), then punish with his VERY fast teleport. He also has possibily the fastest projectile in the game, known as smoke cloud. You can also juggle with his 3, d+1, 2 combustion combo or just 3, 2.
Try these two characters out, since they're both a mix of a lot of styles and have tools for other styles of play. If neither of these two work, just keep trying other characters.

Pick someone that you feel you can go all out with win or lose and not just to spam the hell out of whatever move pops up. It took me a long time before I played with mileena just for that very reason. I played with sheeva because no one else did. She's strong as hell but her lack of speed, meter build and hit box put her at an extreme disadvantage.

Garasky

Noob
Pick someone that you feel you can go all out with win or lose and not just to spam the hell out of whatever move pops up. It took me a long time before I played with mileena just for that very reason. I played with sheeva because no one else did. She's strong as hell but her lack of speed, meter build and hit box put her at an extreme disadvantage.
You do realize you commenting on a thread almost 8 months after the original post right? Well ... better late than never~ Props!