What's new

I need some basic help up-close

davidovitch

In Europe!
I've been playing MK9 since launch and I have some 8000 games online (I only play online unfortunately) but I still have problems with fighting up close; getting out of pressure and applying my own pressure.

I'm fine with zoning wars and I tend to beat a lot of players that way (by zoning) but once someone is standing next to me I'm usually helpless.

Maybe it's because my characters have slow pokes? I play mostly Baraka, Sheeva, Jade Kenshi and Stryker.

So to give you an example if I stand next to Sub-Zero and he does a down+4, I block it and respond with a d4 of my own, it will still get stuffed by Sub-Zero's next d4! Jumping won't work because of his 2,2 and also the ice close so I end up jumping backwards and zoning as much as possible against Sub-Zero.

Another example would be if I block Kung Lao's 2,4, low hat and try to counter I get stuffed by another 2,4 low hat! Or when I block his roll (don't know the input) and try to poke I get caught by whatever he's putting on the screen.

And those times that I do manage to get a poke in and it hits my opponent I try to follow it up by dashing forward into a combo but then I get stuffed by my opponent's d3 or another fast poke.

Basically this leads me to jump backwards a lot and zone a lot and only do combo's when it's a whiff punish or I land a jump in punch. I would like to be able to fight back against characters such a Kung Lao or Kabal or even Sub-Zero up close but I ALWAYS end up losing when I try that.

Is this just my timing being absolutely horrible? Or should I not try to engage some characters up close at all, even after blocking their pokes?

Thanks for any input/feedback. I'd like to get better but I feel for a while now that I've hit my ceiling because of this.