What's new

I need lots of quick help with SF5 beta

Schuyler

Noob
I'm coming from mkx being my main fighting game and I haven't played street fighter since i was maybe 10. So its a very hard adjustment trying to learn this fighting game. I just have very basic questions and sorry if I sound ignorant, thats just because I am.

How do i practice without them trying to put me in a match? I just want to sit and practice but I keep getting matched up ?

Is there a move list like in MK? It would be nice if I saw at least a special moves list so I can know what Im doing

Whats the v triggeer thing. And i see meter on the bottom left. Can i do ex specials ?

This one of the worst but how do I combo. if you've played mk you know the way you combo is completely different. i dont know how to string together combos at all.

Why does it choose my character for me ? I know that it says its my favorite but why cant I just select no favorite and choose from the character select screen ? Same with stages.

If I have anymore questions Ill just add them in It would be a big help if you gave me some help. When SF5 officially comes out Im going to play it as much as I play mk but it seems so hard to get into. Thanks.

Last edited:

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
beta forces automatching, you have to play. there's a command list but it doesn't contain frame data. most combos link normals together so basic combo would be jab>jab>special and there are some target combos which are just dialing in buttons similar to mkx. you can pick the character you want to lab with in the menu.

if mkx is your first fg you have a huge mountain to climb transitioning over to sf5 in game mechanics alone. it's worth it.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
I remember going from Injustice to SSFIV. Just thank the Elder Gods that they lowered the execution barrier in SFV - I could barely move my thumbs afterwards.

V-Trigger is a unique ability that every character has - think of it like a trait in Injustice if you played that. To use it press R1 and R2 at the same time. This is only available when your V-Meter is full, which are the Red Bars. V-Skills can be activated at any time by pressing 2 and 4 (Medium Punch Medium Kick) simultaneously. V-Reversals take 1 Red Bar (called the V-Gauge) and allow you to counter the attack of the opponent while blocking, to create some breathing room.

To do EX Specials it's not like Enhancing or Meterburning in MKX. Let's take the default buttons on a Dualshock 4. 1 and 3 are Light Punch and Light Kick, 2 and 4 are Medium Punch and Medium Kick. R1 is Heavy Punch and R2 is Heavy Kick. L1 and L2 are the buttons you use to EX specials and are noted as PPP or KKK (but with the pictures) in the command list, with L1 being PPP and L2 being KKK.

Let's take a Hadouken. The motion is Quarter-Circle Forward (QCF) Punch or Down,Down-Forward, Forward Punch. Since you use a punch to activate the special move you'd use QCF PPP (L1) for EX Hadouken. You have 3 Bars of meter in this game.

Last edited:

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Schuyler If you go to Dummy settings and set to record mode, you can play as the dummy indefinitely, no match interrupts. Just pick the character you want to learn as your opponent.

You have to choose your character under "Battle Settings". It's your "favorite character". That's who you'll play as in matches.

Schuyler

Noob
@Schuyler If you go to Dummy settings and set to record mode, you can play as the dummy indefinitely, no match interrupts. Just pick the character you want to learn as your opponent.

You have to choose your character under "Battle Settings". It's your "favorite character". That's who you'll play as in matches.
Thanks

Schuyler

Noob
I remember going from Injustice to SSFIV. Just thank the Elder Gods that they lowered the execution barrier in SFV - I could barely move my thumbs afterwards.

V-Trigger is a unique ability that every character has - think of it like a trait in Injustice if you played that. To use it press R1 and R2 at the same time. This is only available when your V-Meter is full, which are the Red Bars. V-Skills can be activated at any time by pressing 2 and 4 (Medium Punch Medium Kick) simultaneously. V-Reversals take 1 Red Bar (called the V-Gauge) and allow you to counter the attack of the opponent while blocking, to create some breathing room.

To do EX Specials it's not like Enhancing or Meterburning in MKX. Let's take the default buttons on a Dualshock 4. 1 and 3 are Light Punch and Light Kick, 2 and 4 are Medium Punch and Medium Kick. R1 is Heavy Punch and R2 is Heavy Kick. L1 and L2 are the buttons you use to EX specials and are noted as PPP or KKK (but with the pictures) in the command list, with L1 being PPP and L2 being KKK.

Let's take a Hadouken. The motion is Quarter-Circle Forward (QCF) Punch (Down,Down-Forward, Forward Punch). Since you use a punch to activate the special move you'd use QCF PPP (L1) for EX Hadouken. You have 3 Bars of meter in this game.
Is there like a super move that does lots of damage like in injustice ? if so how do I do it

Schuyler

Noob
beta forces automatching, you have to play. there's a command list but it doesn't contain frame data. most combos link normals together so basic combo would be jab>jab>special and there are some target combos which are just dialing in buttons similar to mkx. you can pick the character you want to lab with in the menu.

if mkx is your first fg you have a huge mountain to climb transitioning over to sf5 in game mechanics alone. it's worth it.
Wheres the move list ?

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Is there like a super move that does lots of damage like in injustice ? if so how do I do it
You need 3 Bars to do it and I believe it's called a Critical Art. The input is specific to each character so you've got to check the command list which you do by pressing start in training mode, going to command list and then clicking on your character. I think you can also access it by going to Battle Settings.

Last edited:

OBS|KH Rattlehead

Accessibility consultant for Mortal Kombat 1.
hey I actually needed something like this to adjust to SFV. I've played MK games my entire life, but really liking SFV. I've been learning USFIV lately and it has been very difficult for me. I'm still trying to learn though.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069

i'm in there