What's new

I need help from a Kung Lao user

btbb99

Noob
What's up guys, I'm a MK2 player that wants to get good with kung lao because of all the characters in the game I feel really
comfortable using him. I'm having trouble getting down any big combos with him and I feel if i could just talk to somebody for a few minutes that it would be alot of help. I would like to enter the next MK9 tournament in Philly and play well with him, hopefully win one
day. If your a good lao player and don't mind helping me out over the phone for a few mins it would be much appreciated. Thanks Alot

What's up guys, I'm a MK2 player that wants to get good with kung lao because of all the characters in the game I feel really
comfortable using him. I'm having trouble getting down any big combos with him and I feel if i could just talk to somebody for a few minutes that it would be alot of help. I would like to enter the next MK9 tournament in Philly and play well with him, hopefully win one
day. If your a good lao player and don't mind helping me out over the phone for a few mins it would be much appreciated. Thanks Alot
Kunglao's bnb are
122 spin jump kick, dive kick, f3, spin.
b33 spin jump kick, dive kick, f3, spin.
spin jump kick, dive kick, f3, spin
any last spin can be replaced by x ray, then dash, 2,4,1+3
(do any bnb) spin, dive kick, ex hat throw, dash, 1,1,2,4,1+3
Teleport, 3, 112/b33 spin ect
x ray, dash, 1,1,1,2,4,1+3
Corner: 112 spin, jump kick, dive kick, jump kick, dive kick, 2,4, 1+3

On block. 1121 string/b33 string/f3 for roll/ 212121 builds meter.
Remember to hit confirm the spin because its punished on block. Down 4, low hat is nice. 24, 1+2/ 24, low hat is a nice mix up. Spin would stop 99% of the moves in the game, spin is the best anti air in the game. Ex teleport has armor, ex spin goes forward.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
2,1, spin, jk, dive kick, dash, 2, ex hat toss, 1, dash, 1, dash 2, 4, 1+3, 2 is his most damaging combo midscreen and only consumes 1 bar. It's an alternate version of it's meterless variation but is much much easier to land when you're with the nerves and stuff.

1+3 = throw = r1 on ps3 btw. that'll help to gain time and get that just-frame awesomeness.

Dashing forward and getting a 1 / 2 in after a divekick and then following with the EX hat can be a little tricky.

Yes, that is his best midscreen combo, but here's a much easier one that is only a couple % less damage.

JIP, 112 spin, NJP, EX hat toss, jump kick, dive kick, F3, spin. or,
JIP, 112 spin, NJP, 1, dash 1, dash 1, dash 24, 1+3, 2

Both alot easier imo, and the 2nd one is meterless.

As far as playing KL in a tournament goes.. If your opponent is aware of KL's tools, they will be playing most of the time trying to bait a wiffed / blocked spin. So be careful about using wakeup spins especially.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Hmm..

You can do 24, 1+3 after F3?

I don't even play KL, but I'm gonna have to give that a shot.
No, just dont use the roll in combos.

Roll combos give less damage, and no command grab. You can use the command grab to position to opponent, if you throw them close its untechable.

to maximize your damage, start the combo's with the tele-port (unsafe). time 3 and 10/15% adds to the combo.
f+3, spin is good when someone jumps from a distance. or u can do this if u divekicked someone out the air to increase the damage

Red Son

Noob
to get close, start using the dive kick, except against kabal and kitana, make sure your far enough to don't hit the opponents guard. F3 is unsafe unless you cancel with his specials that are unsafe too, lol.

ZtrideRz

Noob
Watch justin Wong on youtube, try to only use spin as your defence mix UPS with 2-4 grab or low hat at the end also 1 1 2 grab.. His best combo in mid screen is..

Jump in safe punch 1 1 2 spin jump hit them of ground dive kick dodge forward catch with 1 then enchante hat toss then 1 1 2 4 1+3/ or just use grab button.. then 2 for the finsh.. for the last bit there is a trick if your using a controller like ps3 just roll ur thumb round the buttons triangle circle X square triangle.. that's what I do.

Red Son

Noob
ZtrideRz said:
Watch justin Wong on youtube, try to only use spin as your defence mix UPS with 2-4 grab or low hat at the end also 1 1 2 grab.. His best combo in mid screen is..

Jump in safe punch 1 1 2 spin jump hit them of ground dive kick dodge forward catch with 1 then enchante hat toss then 1 1 2 4 1+3/ or just use grab button.. then 2 for the finsh.. for the last bit there is a trick if your using a controller like ps3 just roll ur thumb round the buttons triangle circle X square triangle.. that's what I do.

Justin Wong, are u serious? He's just a tier hunter. He played kung lao because lao was good.
Now he plays Raiden 'cause kung lao gets nerfed. If you watch him you'll have no clue about what to do, because that's the old Lao, before the nerfs he received in the patches.

I recommend watching Brady as Lao, the best after patch kung lao I've ever seen.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
i think you should try watching perfect legend's lao also im trying to learn lao and my bnb's are jip 1121 spin jip divekick full dash 1 ex dive kick f3 its 30 percent mid screen and my corner combo is 112 spin njp teleport 3 1 11 3 ex hat jik ex dive kick 1121 spin

Red Son

Noob
PL's lao is a good one, but you won't find him fighting as lao after patch, that's the problem.
If you find, please show me, I want to see it too, but only after patch, because kung lao is so different now.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
true since picking him i have to say he is a more technical character than people give him credit for but he aint as bad as people make it out to be, like he still getting his damage without meter just he has to work harder for it. also after looking at some j. wong i came up with another one 112 spin (short dash block) njp jip dive kick 1 dash 1 ex hat jip ex dive kick 11 spin 32 percent midscreen corner carry

another corner combo 112 xx spin njp xx(wait for them to bouce) teleprt 3 1 11 3 xx ex hat jip xx divekick 1121 spin 38 percent wall combo

ZtrideRz

Noob
PL kung Lao ain't all that Li Joe owned him at a tournament, then Justin Wong owned him in the final. Justin Wong is a awsome player he dosent even play much mk and is still a top player aswell as being one of the best sf players and mvc player among other games.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
true since picking him i have to say he is a more technical character than people give him credit for but he aint as bad as people make it out to be, like he still getting his damage without meter just he has to work harder for it. also after looking at some j. wong i came up with another one 112 spin (short dash block) njp jip dive kick 1 dash 1 ex hat jip ex dive kick 11 spin 32 percent midscreen corner carry

another corner combo 112 xx spin njp xx(wait for them to bouce) teleprt 3 1 11 3 xx ex hat jip xx divekick 1121 spin 38 percent wall combo
Do: jip, 112, spin, jk, dk, dash fwd, 2, ex hat, dash fwd, 1, dash fwd, 241+3

Over 40% 1 bar, 45% after a tele-3
After the 241+3 you can do 4 for extra damage or 2 for even more, but its hard timing.

Also you might find the 24 in place of 112 does more damage, but I highly recomend not using this string as a combo starter because it has shit range and more often than not, your spin will whif. Use this for mix ups.

This post also goes for btbb99

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
PL kung Lao ain't all that Li Joe owned him at a tournament, then Justin Wong owned him in the final. Justin Wong is a awsome player he dosent even play much mk and is still a top player aswell as being one of the best sf players and mvc player among other games.
>_>

You really just said that??? Lol, play PL for yourself. Not exaggerating, 95% of the people here will not even be capable of moving an inch if they were to play him.

Also, a good KL combo is 21 xx spin, JK xx divekick, divekick, 241+3. 33% (35% with 1+3 2). 1 meter = 21 xx spin, JK xx divekick, 2 xx EX hat, divekick, 241+3. 40% (43% I think, with 1+3 2).

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
SO HE WINS EVO THE TOURNAMENT THAT ACTUALLY MATTERS IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS AND HE AINT THAT GOOD PL is the definitive Lao player when i think Kung lao i think perfect legend thats who probably half this site thinks about , not trying to flame or berate you or anything, but just looking at him play is simply amazing that man's defense and footsies and spacing are all on point. Man without the support of PL Kung Lao still would have been broken, still probably wouldnt know what he was capable of and J. Wong just played this game for the money not out of commitment or love. I agree that he is a great player, but he aint better than PL

ZtrideRz

Noob
>_>

You really just said that??? Lol, play PL for yourself. Not exaggerating, 95% of the people here will not even be capable of moving an inch if they were to play him.

Am not saying he isnt good better than me by miles but he still got owned by Li Joe when he picked kung Lao in a mirror.. Justin Wong is the better Lao player. He is more consistent with his punish. And has a better footsie game. Saying Justin Wong is just a tier whore is ridiculous. He is a provisional beat um up player and is far more credited than PL.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
didnt say tier whore he's sponsored do what ya gotta do to keep ya money comin i aint mad at him but honestly that happened so long ago and the game has changed to say that they could or even would beat him now maybe off he still credited with the best kung lao, one of the best raidens ect J. wong plays well nobody is denies his skill but I don't think he is better than PL

ZtrideRz

Noob
Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, he may be better now, but I think Justin Wong is the better beat um up player overall if he wanted to be better than PL he probably would be. PL plays just mk and he isn't even the best at that a personal favourite player of mine who I think is a contender for best mk player is maxtor.