What's new

Match Footage - Mileena I need Advice/Coaching

SEN WIIISE

Kall the Kid, King Khanum!
Any Mileena Mains?

ECT 2015 being my second major, I feel like I did alright. But my experience was humbling, running into players beyond my knowledge and skill level. Even though years ago, I tied for 17th @ ECT3 for MK9 under the name QCB. My performance this year was less than promising and I'm basically looking for a bit of guidance, so that my future showings can have a better turnout.

So, if you're a Mileena player or feel you have intimate knowledge to share? Please hit me up.
If you're not on XBL, I still would like to discuss the character via PM.

XB1: qp WIIISE qp

Here's my matchup footage from the 8OTB Weekly's over the last month.
It's not my most recent play style, but tips are still welcome.

Here's my matchup footage from the 8OTB Weekly's over the last month.
It's not my most recent play style, but tips are still welcome.
What's good man? Just looked over these vids. Before I say anything else though, *major* improvement between that first vid and the second. I don't have a ton of matchup knowledge vs Takeda or FerraTorr, but I'll try and help anyway.

Vs Zyphox it mostly looked like a problem with fundamentals more so than a Mileena issue. (I'll ignore the dropped combos, it happens to all of us, lol.) But yeah, when you went for a jump-in punch, you were doing F3 and D3 afterwards. This isn't exactly bad, but it ends your offense if they block. Instead, you could have immediately gone into a string, (in Mileena's case 123 or 21) and left yourself at much better advantage on block. They HAVE to block this, so once you see them doing so, you can mix it up. (Jump punch~123... Jump Punch~12~Throw... JumpPunch~12~B12... etc).

If you do 21, the 2nd hit is low, so now you can mixup with Jump Punch~21... JumpPunch 21U4 (which ends overhead), or Jump Punch~21~LowSai (mix up with overhead ender), or Jump Punch~2~EX Roll (mixup with 21 hitting low), etc.

Also, there were a few places you could have tried to armor out of Takeda's strings. Mostly after he stops whipping. Basically, whenever you feel a gap in the opponent's pressure, you want to try to EX Roll if possible. You might get blocked and punished, but it's good for you to not be afraid of throwing this out so they can't just keep hitting buttons.

Vs DarthArma as I said, MUCH better showing. Better use of armor here, as well as a great adjustment in the 2nd game by playing a more sai heavy zoning game. If you block a D1, (like when Ferra had you in the corner), you are free to attack back. Usually D4 will work, but given Ferra's range, you could probably have used B12 instead. You just have to better recognize when your turn to attack shows itself. You got a bit predictable with the panic telekicks too, which cost you big damage. Instead, try just throwing Sais until the opponent reacts. Or just inch forward to try to get into B1 or F2 range. Or even just run at them and grab, lol. (They usually don't expect this when you're low on health).

There's probably some unsafe things you could have punished, but again I don't know the matchups that well.

tldr; Focus on being more patient and understanding where you should try to poke out or armor out of pressure. Stay composed and don't try to force a comeback

Last edited:
I noticed you missed about 3 NJPs after roll. I've noticed myself missing them more after the patch that nerfed Kung Jin. I just make sure I hit 2 a little bit later now and it seems ok.

What's good man? Just looked over these vids. Before I say anything else though, *major* improvement between that first vid and the second. I don't have a ton of matchup knowledge vs Takeda or FerraTorr, but I'll try and help anyway.

Vs Zyphox it mostly looked like a problem with fundamentals more so than a Mileena issue. (I'll ignore the dropped combos, it happens to all of us, lol.) But yeah, when you went for a jump-in punch, you were doing F3 and D3 afterwards. This isn't exactly bad, but it ends your offense if they block. Instead, you could have immediately gone into a string, (in Mileena's case 123 or 21) and left yourself at much better advantage on block. They HAVE to block this, so once you see them doing so, you can mix it up. (Jump punch~123... Jump Punch~12~Throw... JumpPunch~12~B12... etc).

If you do 21, the 2nd hit is low, so now you can mixup with Jump Punch~21... JumpPunch 21U4 (which ends overhead), or Jump Punch~21~LowSai (mix up with overhead ender), or Jump Punch~2~EX Roll (mixup with 21 hitting low), etc.

Also, there were a few places you could have tried to armor out of Takeda's strings. Mostly after he stops whipping. Basically, whenever you feel a gap in the opponent's pressure, you want to try to EX Roll if possible. You might get blocked and punished, but it's good for you to not be afraid of throwing this out so they can't just keep hitting buttons.

Vs DarthArma as I said, MUCH better showing. Better use of armor here, as well as a great adjustment in the 2nd game by playing a more sai heavy zoning game. If you block a D1, (like when Ferra had you in the corner), you are free to attack back. Usually D4 will work, but given Ferra's range, you could probably have used B12 instead. You just have to better recognize when your turn to attack shows itself. You got a bit predictable with the panic telekicks too, which cost you big damage. Instead, try just throwing Sais until the opponent reacts. Or just inch forward to try to get into B1 or F2 range. Or even just run at them and grab, lol. (They usually don't expect this when you're low on health).

There's probably some unsafe things you could have punished, but again I don't know the matchups that well.

tldr; Focus on being more patient and understanding where you should try to poke out or armor out of pressure. Stay composed and don't try to force a comeback
Meter management. Avoid using meter for sais. It's a waste.

I main Mileena. What I have learned recently is that she can be a viable character, there is just little room for mistakes. Read and react is the way to go.

Flow

Bound by the Blood Kode
The most important things first:
1) Don't pick Sonya. Pick the empress. Always.
2) If you loose a game, go to player select and pick a different kostume. ( I recommend vampiress P1 or default P2)
3):p

Now some additional things:
a) Don't waste your meter on U3 mb or ex sais, unless it's going to kill them.
b) Use B12 and 123 more often.
c) Throws. Throws. Throws. Seriously throw the shit out of them, in order to strengthen your mix up game. (SCV tactics)
d) Use 21 and 21U4 more often. They offer good mix up opportunities.
e) More D3s and low sais. Give them a reason to duck and punish them for it.
f) Less ex teleports and more ex rolls.
g) Work on your kombos and air2air conversions. Make sure they suffer, if you manage to hit them.

I really liked your games against DarthArma, since you had a good balance between zoning and rushdown.

If you need more inspiration, watch the matches of SaltFace. (ECT Top 8)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Method

Full Combo Punishable
The most important things first:
1) Don't pick Sonya. Pick the empress. Always.
2) If you loose a game, go to player select and pick a different kostume. ( I recommend vampiress P1 or default P2)
3):p
Heathen! Vampiress P2 is the only logical choice. The hot pink increases block stun and blinds your opponent with fabulous.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Watched a guy named Perfect Legend stream the other day. Tweeted him and asked who was the best Mileena user I could watch and learn from. He replied with Salt Face. I spent 3 hours looking for this Salt Face user and started to think I got a troll response. Late last night I finally found some videos after watching another stream and someone once again mentioned Salt Face but used YOMI in front of his name. Randomly registered for TYM just to learn from other users and lo and behold, he's on this forum. Now once I find out where to find a Mr.Mileena I'll be set - someone please tell me he's on here too haha.

Edit: Mr.Mileena is on here too - bruh!!!!

Method

Full Combo Punishable
So what's up...what would like to know?
Seriously guys? SaltFace shows up willing to offer advice and no one takes him up on it? HAVE MERCY. :p

Provided you're still willing to impart wisdom ...

If you have ANY protips regarding Mileena's pressure game, I'd love to hear them. I often find myself struggling to maintain offensive momentum following a block string. I'm scared to throw out random low sais or rolls and often resort to 21U4 to capitalize on frames and put them into a wakeup situation, but I'm sure there are better options ...?

SaltFace NS

Ultimate Mileena Exterminator
Seriously guys? SaltFace shows up willing to offer advice and no one takes him up on it? HAVE MERCY. :p

Provided you're still willing to impart wisdom ...

If you have ANY protips regarding Mileena's pressure game, I'd love to hear them. I often find myself struggling to maintain offensive momentum following a block string. I'm scared to throw out random low sais or rolls and often resort to 21U4 to capitalize on frames and put them into a wakeup situation, but I'm sure there are better options ...?
Generally since I play the Ravenous variation my combo enders usually end with either a High Pounce which gives me space to throw out Sai at my opponent which will allow me to zone for a bit & build up some meter. Now for the offensive approach (if you play Ravenous) I like to end my combos with either the Low Pounce to get damage & a hard knockdown or if you want maximum momentum do a combo that ends in a second roll to keep up the momentum & setup a F1,2 mixup opportunity.

I love the F1,2 mainly due to the fact it can crush many wakeups in the game, does decent chip, builds a good amount of meter on block, & with meter you get the mixup between the B4 at the end of the string or the MB Roll. Plus the F1,2,B4 string is negative but safe from punishment. I will do a MB Roll if I catch on to my opponent wanting to constantly poke back at me. Once they get scared of the armor option & stand block to anticipate MB Roll they become free to get hit by a low or a grab attempt.

A lot of Mileena's momentum & mixup come from conditioning your opponent to either block a certain way or the element of fear once you put the fear into them. Its all about understanding how your opponent defends themselves & blowing them up for it. Once you can do that your Mileena gameplay will grow tenfold.

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
Generally since I play the Ravenous variation my combo enders usually end with either a High Pounce which gives me space to throw out Sai at my opponent which will allow me to zone for a bit & build up some meter. Now for the offensive approach (if you play Ravenous) I like to end my combos with either the Low Pounce to get damage & a hard knockdown or if you want maximum momentum do a combo that ends in a second roll to keep up the momentum & setup a F1,2 mixup opportunity.

I love the F1,2 mainly due to the fact it can crush many wakeups in the game, does decent chip, builds a good amount of meter on block, & with meter you get the mixup between the B4 at the end of the string or the MB Roll. Plus the F1,2,B4 string is negative but safe from punishment. I will do a MB Roll if I catch on to my opponent wanting to constantly poke back at me. Once they get scared of the armor option & stand block to anticipate MB Roll they become free to get hit by a low or a grab attempt.

A lot of Mileena's momentum & mixup come from conditioning your opponent to either block a certain way or the element of fear once you put the fear into them. Its all about understanding how your opponent defends themselves & blowing them up for it. Once you can do that your Mileena gameplay will grow tenfold.
Coaching with saltface :p

SEN WIIISE

Kall the Kid, King Khanum!
@YOMI RM SaltFace I wanted to ask you after your match with HoneyBee last week, but you seemed busy. My question is how do you tend to deal with pressure? Or rather what approach do you take to it?

I'd argue that Mileena should just try her best to avoid any kind of pressure. Maybe you agree?

Also if you have any advice in regards to Hellfire-Scorpion's fireball cancel pressure? That'd help tons. I've assumed that I should MB roll, or d3 my way out. But I consistently get blown up.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
@YOMI RM SaltFace I wanted to ask you after your match with HoneyBee last week, but you seemed busy. My question is how do you tend to deal with pressure? Or rather what approach do you take to it?

I'd argue that Mileena should just try her best to avoid any kind of pressure. Maybe you agree?

Also if you have any advice in regards to Hellfire-Scorpion's fireball cancel pressure? That'd help tons. I've assumed that I should MB roll, or d3 my way out. But I consistently get blown up.
Scorpion's FBC are true blockstrings so unfortunately you just have to block it. There is the option of taking a hit to escape the pressure. In the string 214 xx FBC if you block 21 and get hit by 4 you are sent nearly full screen and escape the pressure for only 5% damage. However, if the Scorpion reads you will take the hit I THINK they can confirm to a combo, but don't take that as gospel. @JTB123 confirm?

Method

Full Combo Punishable

Wow, thanks for the detailed response. :)

Though I generally play Piercing, your input is much appreciated. Kinda makes me want to spend more time with Ravenous (plus I actually dig the no mask look).

The mind games are strong, but it's hard not to be intimidated by the likes of Lao's orbit hat pressure or Scorpions FBC nonsense. At first glance, Mileena doesn't appear to have that "press a button, get blown up" EB/Tanya potential that's so popular in high level play atm. Like you said, conditioning is such a huge part of Mileena's game. Simply making them guess isn't enough ... not when every correct decision nets them a full combo punish. There needs to be an element of premeditation.

Maybe I've been watching too many pro streams featuring top tier characters cranking out ridiculous block strings. It's done more harm than good, in terms of expectations. Her pressure game requires a different mindset, it seems.

For instance, does she WANT to push her opponent into the corner? Or does she prefer to stay mid screen? Considering her specials, it's so easy to put yourself in the corner as Mileena. It seems prudent to keep the fight at mid, but the urge to corner carry is always there (not that she has great carry). The 45% meterless potential is hard to resist, but I'm never sure if it's something I SHOULD be doing.

In Piercing variation at least, the F12 whiff against a good chunk of the cast is a constant concern. It's impossible to deny that the F12B4 string is a big part of her mixup game, not to mention oki. Add to that the tiny hitbox on the second hit of B212+4, and again Ravenous starts looking far more attractive (in terms of maintaining momentum, the second roll ender is so much easier, though far less damage and no HKD of course). As soon as a combo cracks 40% the sadistic ender becomes crazy precise, so much so that I hesitate to push combos to max damage. I can only assume that's by design, to keep her meterless damage output in check, so it's hard to complain TOO loud.

I think my biggest problem IS fear. It's her best weapon, but I haven't learned how to use it properly. Instead of forcing my opponent to play scared, I'm too busy doing it for them ...

Last edited:

Method

Full Combo Punishable
Scorpion's FBC are true blockstrings so unfortunately you just have to block it. There is the option of taking a hit to escape the pressure. In the string 214 xx FBC if you block 21 and get hit by 4 you are sent nearly full screen and escape the pressure for only 5% damage. However, if the Scorpion reads you will take the hit I THINK they can confirm to a combo, but don't take that as gospel. @JTB123 confirm?
I've heard they can cancel into EX spear for full combo, but it's still a guessing game on their part. Maybe they've evolved beyond that and figured out how to convert it without the guesswork?

That would be terrifying ...

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
You have to commit to your launcher if you read they will intentionally get hit by the 4, you can use EX spear as a safe option as due to the larget hitbox it will you still hit you if the 4 in 214 connects.

However the better read as Scorpion would be to cut the string short at 21 and do another 214 with no FBC, that way you're going to eat full damage and even if you block it successfully you're still taking pressure and another throw guess.

Keep in mind Scorpion can also throw out B3 in the same scenario so even if you read his read of your read (hopefully that makes sense) you're going to have block low as well.

I also think the "take the 4 to get hit brah" is somewhat of a bill too, Scorpion wants to force you to get in so he can play his game. It is the lesser of two evils I guess but still comes with risk.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
You have to commit to your launcher if you read they will intentionally get hit by the 4, you can use EX spear as a safe option as due to the larget hitbox it will you still hit you if the 4 in 214 connects.

However the better read as Scorpion would be to cut the string short at 21 and do another 214 with no FBC, that way you're going to eat full damage and even if you block it successfully you're still taking pressure and another throw guess.

Keep in mind Scorpion can also throw out B3 in the same scenario so even if you read his read of your read (hopefully that makes sense) you're going to have block low as well.

I also think the "take the 4 to get hit brah" is somewhat of a bill too, Scorpion wants to force you to get in so he can play his game. It is the lesser of two evils I guess but still comes with risk.
I thought so regarding EX Spear but wanted to make sure, thanks for confirming

So what's up...what would like to know?
While the office firewall hasn't kicked in yet:

I find myself struggling against the JCage , Kung Lao and Tanya MUs.

Facing Cage, not sure if it's "humanly" possible to watch for his overhead since you can crouch and dodge shadow kicks.

Kung Lao; I hate the MU when I can't even poke him.

As for Tanya, I feel like she has little weaknesses (that Mileena can exploit).

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
More Match videos from recent locals.
Advice, please?
@TheGabStandard
@ZeroEffect
@YOMI RM SaltFace
@TakeAChance
@Method
@Flow
@DarthArma
@EMPR_FEAR
@Akromaniac27
@1man3letters

Match 1

-
Match 2

-
Match 3
Personal opinion, but I say drop Ravenous. IF the variation worked the way it should with her overhead grab, then I'd say it COULD be on par with piercing, but it doesn't. And even if that did work, she isn't safe enough to compensate for the lack of footsies.

That aside, I think a big downfall is your conversions/follow ups. Many times you could net over 30% but get low 20% and the ender doesn't put you in a good enough position. B3434, u3, f1, 2+4 are all not your best enders and are also tight to connect for no real reward from doing so and you get less damage from them too. F1, 2+4 has its use in the corner but for that, you might as well do b12, 1+3 extended because its easier to connect, you get more damage, and get more advantage.

In terms of your offense, I'd suggest doing full strings first to test out your opponents blocking and more importantly, knowledge of the MU. Doing stagger strings right off the bat does more harm than good outside of 12/123 because the staggers are either unsafe or leave you at more disadvantage than just doing the full string. Grab more too, like run up and grab if they're waiting on a roll.

For zoning, I really don't suggest trying to instant air unless you can consistently do it on the pad or have a hitbox. Empty jumps in a tight time management game and especially using her, is just leaving you too open. With piercing, use low sais sparingly and strategically. Don't aim to try to hit them 100% of the time with either sai. Mix it up in between the two to check them and their movement. Use low sais to encourage jumping so that you can AA them with another sai, roll, tele, or anything of your choosing really. Use regular sais more frequently simply because you're much safer if blocked or whiffed and you gain more meter from the uses.

Your meter management could use some work XD Honestly, don't do EXtelekick unless its in a corner combo, and even there, its not really needed. Dont do EXsais unless you have a bar to kill, are full screen and can afford to have it miss if only to just check them. This also ties back to your combos. Most of them only really use 1 special when you can get up to 4 specials in one combo.

Hope this helps!