What's new

I can't beat this character

Jade. I absolutely loathe playing against this bitch because literally EVERY SINGLE ONE I COME ACROSS just goes ham, despite the character having huge gaps, being unsafe, low damage, etc. And despite my knowledge of all this, I get hit out of jumps, fail to counter poker, duck the overhead and just give them the win before the game even starts. Scorpion and Liu Kang used to give me trouble like this but I feel I've improved on the matchup and that they aren't as mentally taxing anymore, whereas Jade just destroys me no matter what I try.

Does anyone else experience this? I know I'm impatient and not playing the matchup right, but I'm at my whits end here. Feels like I'm fucking cursed or something.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I main Kotal and Cetrion, play Baraka and Johnny as secondaries. THis isn't entirely about matchup knowledge, technique and all that though, it's about the mindset and how tilted I get.
Cage destroys Jade if I’m not wrong. Force balls nullify her jumping projectiles game and shadow kick beats her glow attempts. I’ve never really had any problems with Jade. Her damage sucks so much you come up with a tactic in a second round. Then again, I never played against pro players lol

Denny

Noob
Hi, let me try to help you with this. I think I know what you mean.
Jade. I absolutely loathe playing against this bitch because literally EVERY SINGLE ONE I COME ACROSS just goes ham,
Please define "goes ham" or even better, do you have any videos of situations that you couldn't deal with?

despite the character having huge gaps, being unsafe, low damage, etc. And despite my knowledge of all this,
Knowing where the huge gaps are and being able to react in that Time-Frame makes ALL the difference. You probably knew this, though. As for unsafe, not entirely. A large amount of her Normals, notably B3 and F3 are just safe, while her staff normals are made safe by range and/or a safe special cancel. Finally, "Low Damage" is subjective. She can very well secure a life lead if you fail to land your own combos, which she is fairly good at preventing you from doing.

I get hit out of jumps,
When and why are you jumping? Jumping is considered a very Low Level Strategy in most fighting games except for certain situations, such as if you have Air Specials, (Or you're Kabal and you can jump away from an opponent and combo them off of a Jumping Normal for half their Health Bar. LOL) or normals which lead to damage or set-ups.
Of the characters you listed, Cetrion is the only such character and you probably shouldn't be jumping otherwise.

fail to counter poker,
Try a Royal Flush. :D Joke aside, pokes are S-T-U-P-I-D in this game and I hope they will change very soon. You can throw pokes, though. Especially Jade's. Her pokes are LONG over and you can STILL throw the Hurt Box. If Jade is trying to poke you, remember, you can always just move backwards. Her D4 is the only poke she can reach you at range with. Even better: You can learn the rage on d1 and d3, and use a Mid. Her D1 has lousy range. One of the main reasons EVERYONE has Dropped her by now.

duck the overhead and just give them the win before the game even starts.
Sounds like you get frustrated. Jade plays on that sentiment. The Entire Character is built to be annoying for those who have not yet figured her out.

Scorpion and Liu Kang used to give me trouble like this but I feel I've improved on the matchup and that they aren't as mentally taxing anymore, whereas Jade just destroys me no matter what I try.
I hear Scorpion is Bottom Tier now, you'll be fine. :D
Again, kidding aside, those two actually give Jade hell on so many levels. Try and pick them up and just counterpick if you can't seem to handle her on your mains.

Does anyone else experience this? I know I'm impatient and not playing the matchup right, but I'm at my whits end here. Feels like I'm fucking cursed or something.
If you know you're impatient and not playing the Match-Up right, you're on the right track.
Figure out how to overcome it.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
  • Razor-rang jails off nothing. If she does this on block strings, duck it and blow her up
  • Stop jumping
  • B3434 has a FB gap on the last kick. You do not need to burn meter on FB U2/U3 to punish her after FBing the last kick. Just use a fast high starter
  • B2 (wiggle stick) is entirely a high and death on whiff. It's also punishable on block at closer ranges
  • If she's mashing D2s, start mashing your longest range low poke until she stops or just duck it then blow her up with a mid. Remember that D2s are all highs
  • The enhanced kick off Pole Vault is a high
  • 212 (where she ends twirling her staff around herself) is a powerful setup tool as it's decently negative but has the literal perfect amount of pushback for her on block. Either back dash or immediately duck after it if she's using it to set up D4s or B2s.
  • Even the Elder Gods cant help you if you're jumping
  • Low projectile has a long recovery and is death on block for her. If she's zoning, watch for it and jump it cause you have all the time in the world to do so
  • Pole Vault is - on block but safe. Get a feel for if she's mashing pokes after which you can beat with your own. Dont give her these for free
  • Razor-rang projectile is still a High even on amplification. Duck them both, dont eat the chip
  • F21 is slow and death on block and easily flawless blocked. It's her only OH threat so you should generally only be ducking and low blocking against her save for jump ins and reacting to F2
  • It's better to eat a D4 than a B2 at a distance. As such, it's often profitable to simply neutral duck as you get closer to her and are in staff range to be able to blow up any B2 attempts
  • Why you jumping?
  • Dont let her Glow for free. Even if you have no chance of punishing it with a hit, you sure as hell should be enjoying the free chance to advance on her due to its high recovery
  • Only her forward throw has a throw KB
  • Her "hit two dash kicks in a row" KB is remembered between rounds. If she kills you with the kick to end a round, duck / block immediately on the next round or be ready to eat the follow-up kick for the KB
Edit: from an overall standpoint, Jade forces you to play her game which is patience (even if the Jade player has none, that's the game you're forced into). Her damage is the worst in the game so dont get tilted just because you ate a couple things. One touch from you will generally meet or beat anything she dishes out. Take calculated opportunities, not risks; and remember that your end goal is the corner if she's Emerald Defender. If you get the life lead, there is 0 reason to chase her as all her projectiles are entirely avoidable and she has no long range mids.

Last edited:
  • Razor-rang jails off nothing. If she does this on block strings, duck it and blow her up
  • Stop jumping
  • B3434 has a FB gap on the last kick. You do not need to burn meter on FB U2/U3 to punish her after FBing the last kick. Just use a fast high starter
  • B2 (wiggle stick) is entirely a high and death on whiff. It's also punishable on block at closer ranges
  • If she's mashing D2s, start mashing your longest range low poke until she stops or just duck it then blow her up with a mid. Remember that D2s are all highs
  • The enhanced kick off Pole Vault is a high
  • 212 (where she ends twirling her staff around herself) is a powerful setup tool as it's decently negative but has the literal perfect amount of pushback for her on block. Either back dash or immediately duck after it if she's using it to set up D4s or B2s.
  • Even the Elder Gods cant help you if you're jumping
  • Low projectile has a long recovery and is death on block for her. If she's zoning, watch for it and jump it cause you have all the time in the world to do so
  • Pole Vault is - on block but safe. Get a feel for if she's mashing pokes after which you can beat with your own. Dont give her these for free
  • Razor-rang projectile is still a High even on amplification. Duck them both, dont eat the chip
  • F21 is slow and death on block and easily flawless blocked. It's her only OH threat so you should generally only be ducking and low blocking against her save for jump ins and reacting to F2
  • It's better to eat a D4 than a B2 at a distance. As such, it's often profitable to simply neutral duck as you get closer to her and are in staff range to be able to blow up any B2 attempts
  • Why you jumping?
  • Dont let her Glow for free. Even if you have no chance of punishing it with a hit, you sure as hell should be enjoying the free chance to advance on her due to its high recovery
  • Only her forward throw has a throw KB
  • Her "hit two dash kicks in a row" KB is remembered between rounds. If she kills you with the kick to end a round, duck / block immediately on the next round or be ready to eat the follow-up kick for the KB
Edit: from an overall standpoint, Jade forces you to play her game which is patience (even if the Jade player has none, that's the game you're forced into). Her damage is the worst in the game so dont get tilted just because you ate a couple things. One touch from you will generally meet or beat anything she dishes out. Take calculated opportunities, not risks; and remember that your end goal is the corner if she's Emerald Defender. If you get the life lead, there is 0 reason to chase her as all her projectiles are entirely avoidable and she has no long range mids.
I know the majority of this, yet it still fucks me up. Jade just wins, simple. Even when I'm doing my absolute best and trying to be as patient as possible, I fall victim to the same dumb shit over and over.

Jade. I absolutely loathe playing against this bitch because literally EVERY SINGLE ONE I COME ACROSS just goes ham, despite the character having huge gaps, being unsafe, low damage, etc. And despite my knowledge of all this, I get hit out of jumps, fail to counter poker, duck the overhead and just give them the win before the game even starts. Scorpion and Liu Kang used to give me trouble like this but I feel I've improved on the matchup and that they aren't as mentally taxing anymore, whereas Jade just destroys me no matter what I try.

What character are you playing as? The MU can heavily influence the outcome of this. GENERAL TIPS AGAINST JADE YOU MUST FOLLOW:
1.dont dash or jump on wakeup at full screen because your minus and her projectiles will hit u.
  1. Don't jump randomly against her in neutral when trying to approach because it's extremely easy for her to reactively hit you out of the air with projectile /d2. You should only be jumping in REACTION to unamped projectiles or her low projectile, jumping without a safe reason to is not an option against zoners.
  2. Respect her air mid projectiles. By respect I mean you can't throw out any move besides walking forward when she does this, because she is plus on block. People don't realize when her projectiles are blocked at any distance beyond starting distance she is plus which means you shouldn't dash/jump after blocking cuz you get hit out of it if she throws another projectile.
  3. Try to evade her projectiles at all costs the only projectile you MUST block is her air glaves but other than that you can neutral duck/short hop her other projectiles. I recommend to NOT wavedash because I always get hit out of mine because of the startup frames of the dash. Ducking/hopping when appropriate then walking in seems the safest way to get in, and once you get in just play solid.
As a Jax main(Worst MU in the game imo is Jax vs Jade) this may sound crazy but I find I win more when I play mentally patient. When i get frustrated and try to dash early or jump randomly that's when I get hit then back to square one. It's a different mindset you must have when playing against Jade/Cetrion, you can't tilt. You must respect her range and acknowledge that you will have to block/evade her moves first. Like I win when I mentally accept I will have to slowly get in by walking a bit then blocking and striking when she whiffs/ when I get in range and she does something minus.

What character are you playing as? The MU can heavily influence the outcome of this. GENERAL TIPS AGAINST JADE YOU MUST FOLLOW:
1.dont dash or jump on wakeup at full screen because your minus and her projectiles will hit u.
  1. Don't jump randomly against her in neutral when trying to approach because it's extremely easy for her to reactively hit you out of the air with projectile /d2. You should only be jumping in REACTION to unamped projectiles or her low projectile, jumping without a safe reason to is not an option against zoners.
  2. Respect her air mid projectiles. By respect I mean you can't throw out any move besides walking forward when she does this, because she is plus on block. People don't realize when her projectiles are blocked at any distance beyond starting distance she is plus which means you shouldn't dash/jump after blocking cuz you get hit out of it if she throws another projectile.
  3. Try to evade her projectiles at all costs the only projectile you MUST block is her air glaves but other than that you can neutral duck/short hop her other projectiles. I recommend to NOT wavedash because I always get hit out of mine because of the startup frames of the dash. Ducking/hopping when appropriate then walking in seems the safest way to get in, and once you get in just play solid.
As a Jax main(Worst MU in the game imo is Jax vs Jade) this may sound crazy but I find I win more when I play mentally patient. When i get frustrated and try to dash early or jump randomly that's when I get hit then back to square one. It's a different mindset you must have when playing against Jade/Cetrion, you can't tilt. You must respect her range and acknowledge that you will have to block/evade her moves first. Like I win when I mentally accept I will have to slowly get in by walking a bit then blocking and striking when she whiffs/ when I get in range and she does something minus.
Like I've already said, this isn't about MU knowledge, it's about the mental aspect of it. I shut down against this character and can't handle her no matter what I know or how I play.

EDIT: I just faced one and EVEN THOUGH I WON, I'm shaking, tilted and anxious as fuck about running into another one. This is my problem.

Last edited:
Like I've already said, this isn't about MU knowledge, it's about the mental aspect of it. I shut down against this character and can't handle her no matter what I know or how I play.

EDIT: I just faced one and EVEN THOUGH I WON, I'm shaking, tilted and anxious as fuck about running into another one. This is my problem.
LOL wow.....get a hold of yourself man.....

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium

This is less about the character and more about you as a player then. There's clearly some internalized animosity going on in regards to fighting her that you're gunna have to learn to control. Otherwise, this is gunna keep happening.

This is less about the character and more about you as a player then. There's clearly some internalized animosity going on in regards to fighting her that you're gunna have to learn to control. Otherwise, this is gunna keep happening.
Yeah, I fucking loathe her because IN MY EXPERIENCE the kind of person that plays Jade doesn't respect frames, goes ham on projectiles, Shadow Kick's from half screen, mashes d2, throws as soon as I get next to them (another big weakness of mine) and uses the range of her staff a lot.

Thats just Jade bruh U just have to accept that its gonna be a sweaty tilty match. Its unbalanced imo cuz she gets to control the pace of the match for free

You got any tips for that or are you just gonna be a smartarse about things?
YES.....Arqwart broke down Jade's weaknesses perfectly......you kind of brushed it off and said you just shut down regardless ..........well then that's YOUR problem. If you shut down you aren't going to win regardless of how well you know the match up. Jade can't do a lot of damage......You slowly move your way in they are using her zoning variation.

NappyNuisance

Irritatingly Noir
A couple people have said it and I agree. Ice Machine Frost blows up Jade. I hate playing Jade with anybody but Frost. Annoying slut.

While I do appreciate everyone's input, I think you guys are still missing the point a little. This isn't about matchup knowledge or what character blows Jade up, this is about the nerves and mental aspects that go into a match. Jade just so happens to be my biggest obstacle right now.

I've had this same kinda thing happen with Scorpion, Liu Kang, even Erron Black sometimes, but I'm looking to see if anyone else has this kind of experience? How do you get past the tilting and frustration?

Pygmy_Potato

BF4+FF+BLK
Learn the character that you hate. Force yourself to play as them and no one else for a week if it's this bad.

If done right, you won't just learn what moves she can do, it'll teach you why and when they decide to use those moves. The salt you're feeling will hopefully be replaced with an appreciation for their strats. And that gained empathy will keep you from getting into your feelings and better anticipate their actions.

If you're serious about getting over this issue and don't just want to complain -- this is the way.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
This.

I watch Jade's have a complete meltdown after they realise they can't just glow and spam projectiles then d2 when you get close

Basically don't jump on Jade her d2 is ridiculous.
Hahaha! Yep! I main Frost and this is so true! I played this Jade player who's go-to was to air razor-rang from full screen, low fireball, low fireball, glow, watch for counters then glow-kick. If you subtract one of these tricks from her bag, they indeed have a meltdown. I subtract two by putting up Frost's sheild to stop the razor-rang or low fireball, throwing out the DB2 ice bomb to blow up the glow, condition them to attempt a glow-kick after they get frustrated and blow them up with a nice D2 KB or a combo of my choosing.

I can often stop glow attemps with Frost's F2. It's long range and quick. I used to get beat by jade, but after maining Frost, it's been so much easier. I've received lots of hate-mail from these Jade players when their shenanigans fail.

All I've been seeing is variation three. Her b2,1,2,4 string is a nightmare to deal with and is a 50/50, which isn't that hard to block but both options are safe.