What's new

I blocked Cartwheel, now what?

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
If I try to poke Sonya will block and counter or I'll risk eating :ex Cartwheel.

What are my options? Do I try to get away? Jump over? Throw?

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
if she has no meter and you play say rain as your avatar would assume, I'd go for a 4,3 spin kick or whatever that is. If she has meter and she just did a cartwheel, she might try a dive kick next too, or a ms f1, hard to say, it is kind of a guessing game, Sonya has alot of options, either way if she has no meter, if you do the 4,3 ex roundhouse I beleive the ex roundhouse beats both msf1 and divekick out if it's timed right. But maybe I'm wrong.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
if she has no meter and you play say rain as your avatar would assume, I'd go for a 4,3 spin kick or whatever that is. If she has meter and she just did a cartwheel, she might try a dive kick next too, or a ms f1, hard to say, it is kind of a guessing game, Sonya has alot of options, either way if she has no meter, if you do the 4,3 ex roundhouse I beleive the ex roundhouse beats both msf1 and divekick out if it's timed right. But maybe I'm wrong.
I'm looking for general strats or something universal for all characters.

Thanks for the tips, regardless.

KRYS9984

Noob
Bildslash

Kartwheel and Enhanced Kartwheel are -3 on block so you can poke out with d1 or d3 after the move is executed.

Anything 9 frames or under will put you in an offensive position. Since you use characters like Kung Lao, Sektor and Rain, you're options are not limited. Kung Lao's 1 - 1 - 2 - 1 string (10 frame start) and standing 2 (7 frame start) might be options, Sektors 1 - 2 - launcher (6 frame start) and Rains Armor roundhouse to counter pressure or 4 - 3 (10 frame start) could work.

I simply stick to a d1 or d3 and space out the opponent. Sonya's rush down is no joke and not worth the risk without armor.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Continue blocking.

Try poke out, or use your character's fastest standing normal. Armor moves might work, though it's character dependent.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
If a rain player tries to 4 3 a Sonya player after a cartwheel, Sonyas 11 will beat out the 4 3, best bet (when both players have meter) is to do EX RH cancel into 4 3 or 33. When Sonya has no meter you might be able to 33, but then her divekick may beat that still since the 3 starts like a low

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
Depends on your opponents patterns. They can poke, dive kick, eh cartwheel, jump, attack with a string or do nothing. You poking first neutralizes most of these options but it's all reads. Once your mindfucked it's over.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
If a rain player tries to 4 3 a Sonya player after a cartwheel, Sonyas 11 will beat out the 4 3, best bet (when both players have meter) is to do EX RH cancel into 4 3 or 33. When Sonya has no meter you might be able to 33, but then her divekick may beat that still since the 3 starts like a low
yeah you're right 11 would beat it out, I was thinking there might be a bit more distance than 11 range after the cartwheel block but I guess not. 4,3 does have quite a bit more range but isn't nearly as fast as 11.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Bildslash

Kartwheel and Enhanced Kartwheel are -3 on block so you can poke out with d1 or d3 after the move is executed.

Anything 9 frames or under will put you in an offensive position. Since you use characters like Kung Lao, Sektor and Rain, you're options are not limited. Kung Lao's 1 - 1 - 2 - 1 string (10 frame start) and standing 2 (7 frame start) might be options, Sektors 1 - 2 - launcher (6 frame start) and Rains Armor roundhouse to counter pressure or 4 - 3 (10 frame start) could work.

I simply stick to a d1 or d3 and space out the opponent. Sonya's rush down is no joke and not worth the risk without armor.
Thanks for the input.

I mainly go for down pokes, but the fear of a dive kick or an :exCartwheel have me flustered.

Depends on your opponents patterns. They can poke, dive kick, eh cartwheel, jump, attack with a string or do nothing. You poking first neutralizes most of these options but it's all reads. Once your mindfucked it's over.
That's my problem right there. I'm already mindfucked.

Not only that, is hard to make a read when Sonya has so many viable options with little risk involved on her part.

Can a 6/7 frame poke beat the dive kick attempt? I know I'm talking down to the frame, but an ideal world it should juggle Sonya before she can do it, shouldn't?

killa_solid

Friendly--foe
Thanks for the input.

Can a 6/7 frame poke beat the dive kick attempt? I know I'm talking down to the frame, but an ideal world it should juggle Sonya before she can do it, shouldn't?
Keep in mind that if you get predictable with poking Sonya every time after blocking a cartwheel, she can just block the down 1 and full combo punish you with a dive kick combo.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Blocking Sonya's Cartwheel is a guessing game. You can D1 before she D1 you first but you need to respect the threat of her Dive Kick if you get poke greedy or you might get hit by her armored Ex Cartwheel. If you try to jump she can standing 1 jab you from the air into a combo. You can try to cross up but Sonya has the option to njp/Air Grab. You can just stay there and hold block and try to make a good read what Sonya will do next. She might try to Dive Kick and you can combo punish her. You might want to look out for her D4~MS pressure or she might Grab you as well. Sonya is a very dirty character and I know Sonya players are guilty knowing she is :D I'm surprised she hasn't won a tournament yet, someone please win with her soon.

Espio

Kokomo
After a blocked cartwheel, I back up if she does another cartwheel after backing up, you have enough time to NJP I believe. Mix up how you react to her, sometimes poke, sometimes back away etc. keep her guessing.

Blocking Sonya's Cartwheel is a guessing game. You can D1 before she D1 you first but you need to respect the threat of her Dive Kick if you get poke greedy or you might get hit by her armored Ex Cartwheel. If you try to jump she can standing 1 jab you from the air into a combo. You can try to cross up but Sonya has the option to njp/Air Grab. You can just stay there and hold block and try to make a good read what Sonya will do next. She might try to Dive Kick and you can combo punish her. You might want to look out for her D4~MS pressure or she might Grab you as well. Sonya is a very dirty character and I know Sonya players are guilty knowing she is :D I'm surprised she hasn't won a tournament yet, someone please win with her soon.

I thought Morty won a tournament with her months ago, unless I'm mistaken.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I'm looking for general strats or something universal for all characters.

Thanks for the tips, regardless.
I don't think you can look for general strats. Your answer to cartwheel is going to wildly vary from character to character. Raiden has the option to teleport. Liu Kang can fly in with B3. Kenshi has armored Spirit Charge. Kitana has D1 or jump back IAfan. You really have to look at everyone's abilities individually.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
After a blocked cartwheel, I back up if she does another cartwheel after backing up, you have enough time to NJP I believe. Mix up how you react to her, sometimes poke, sometimes back away etc. keep her guessing.

I thought Morty won a tournament with her months ago, unless I'm mistaken.
Bad Sonya players will try to double her Cartwheel after you block one. You might think they will try it again so you go after a njp which you put yourself in the air where Sonya can dash in and catch you with standing 1 jab/D4 into a reset before you land on the ground. Njp Sonya's Cartwheel most likely you can use after knockdown to punish her wake-up game. Not sure how her wake up game is other than Cartwheel but I would rather get hit by her Leg Grab/Arc Kick than being combo'd from her Cartwheel. I know Morty placed high with Sonya before, not sure if Sonya in general won a major tournament. If you ever played F0xy Grampa's Sonya before, I have no doubt that he will win a major tournament with her, same thing about his Cage. I like Riu48's Sonya, incredibly impressive at MLG. From the posts I've seen from others about Death's 4-5 month old Sonya, he has leveled up and learning to master her, though I haven't seen his matches with her, I know he will do wonders just as he did with his Mileena (one of the best Mileena's I've ever seen on tournament streams like pig, always awesome to watch).

IKizzLE

BloodHound
If I try to poke Sonya will block and counter or I'll risk eating :ex Cartwheel.

What are my options? Do I try to get away? Jump over? Throw?
I take it Death is still getting in that ass!! LOL.

1 thing, with sektor, his d1 will catch sonya if she tries to do an instant dive kick after a cartwheel.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Thanks for everyone's input. Very helpful.

I don't think you can look for general strats. Your answer to cartwheel is going to wildly vary from character to character. Raiden has the option to teleport. Liu Kang can fly in with B3. Kenshi has armored Spirit Charge. Kitana has D1 or jump back IAfan. You really have to look at everyone's abilities individually.
Point taken.

I take it Death is still getting in that ass!! LOL.

1 thing, with sektor, his d1 will catch sonya if she tries to do an instant dive kick after a cartwheel.
Screw you man... but yeah. :(