What's new

how'd you choose a main?

Frost

Noob
I know this gets asked in every fighting game forum, but how'd did you decide who to use?

Btw, Hi joined TYM today :) . Love Ermac and the whole roster which is being problematic... I don't know who to main... I literally like them all. Anyways I look forward to using and contributing to the TYM community.

Two things to consider. Do you like the toon's specials/movelist? Do you enjoy how that character must be played to win? Noob saibot is great but because of his lack of massive midscreen combos, he is forced to zone more often than most characters. I swore I was gonna main noob pre launch. After I found out how he plays at a competitive level, I couldn't stand him as I perfer rushdown characters. Try watching matches with good players and see how they play their toon.

I suffer from the same character swaping illness as you :p One minute I'm in love with somebody, the next I'm swearing this other guy is my new main. Worst case scenario, you go through the entire cast 3-4 times, learn how everyone plays, and be better prepared to fight anyone.

Two things to consider. Do you like the toon's specials/movelist? Do you enjoy how that character must be played to win? Noob saibot is great but because of his lack of massive midscreen combos, he is forced to zone more often than most characters. I swore I was gonna main noob pre launch. After I found out how he plays at a competitive level, I couldn't stand him as I perfer rushdown characters. Try watching matches with good players and see how they play their toon.

I suffer from the same character swaping illness as you :p One minute I'm in love with somebody, the next I'm swearing this other guy is my new main. Worst case scenario, you go through the entire cast 3-4 times, learn how everyone plays, and be better prepared to fight anyone.
thats what happend wiht me on mvc3:p

REYTHEGREAT

I chose my main by trying out the whole cast. Then I narrowed down to the people I can execute combos with with no problem. Then I spend hours practicing to see if I would do simple combos without too much problems.

The way I do is I look at the cast and see who i like, give everyone a whirl to try the move list and see which ones I like the best. Then I practice basic BNB combos, once I've got those down I play people with those characters. The one I have the most fun with, and feel consistent with and hopefully win with(Not always the case) is the character I choose as my main.

See I was the exact opposite of elhuevo, I saw noob being a zoner and didn't think I'd like him. After playing as him I've found he's probably one of my best characters, and I'm enjoying learning him so he might end up as my main.

No joke but - Female and or low tier
I somewhat got that in SSF4 with vega which is almost a woman anyways.

In this game I started with Kitana but it just didnt work out, tried out the rest of the characters who i might enjoy and realized keeping it simple works pretty well for me so liu kang works.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I just main my favorites, really. Somehow, most of them end up being exactly what I want...zone-based characters.

Also, welcome to TYM! :)

Sequel

Boob Titbot
I chose Kung Lao as my main because he's got a unique character design and reminds me a little bit of the old James Bond villain Oddjob from Goldfinger. That, and I've always played him since MK2.

REO

Undead
I like characters that are themed around speed as their power. Other than that, I just go for who looks the coolest.

Tim Static

Adminerator
In most games, I usually mess around with the entire cast, and pick the character I click with the most.
I chose my main by trying out the whole cast. Then I narrowed down to the people I can execute combos with with no problem. Then I spend hours practicing to see if I would do simple combos without too much problems.
Exactly. i dont stay true to one specific MK character (Raiden is my favorite and i've never been good with him lol). play the cast, find who clicks. its not always who you think it will be until you play the game.

btw, welcome to TYM :coffee:

Frost

Noob
Sounds pretty awesome. I've been playing MK all the chances I can get.

So far I love Ermac, but i also like many more characters. I basically like everyone except Sheeva, Stryker, Kano, and Jade(like her concept but not the character or moves).
It's pretty tough lol.

I'm sad PSN has been down, been waiting to play with some schoolmates online.

Bolton

Noob
I played a little MvC3 with my friends, and since they're casual, they suck. I beat them with Chris Redfield solo so they teased me about it a few, lol. Anyway, so my friend and I was playing Mortal Kombat, and I asked him "Who should I master?" and he told me "Chris Redfield."

So I picked Stryker.

SZSR

Noob
I know this gets asked in every fighting game forum, but how'd did you decide who to use?

Btw, Hi joined TYM today :) . Love Ermac and the whole roster which is being problematic... I don't know who to main... I literally like them all. Anyways I look forward to using and contributing to the TYM community.
Welcome to TYM! Another Puerto Rican I see? I'm from there too! :D

Anywho, I chose subzero, smoke and cage for my mains since i've liked Sub-Zero and Cage since MKSM and I liked how they were portrayed there and Smoke simply because he's always been cool to me. Human Smoke secret in UMK3, and the secret Smoke missions in MKSM were my favorites.

Frost

Noob
Niiice. I basically like Sub-zero, Cyrax, Noob, Ermac, Smoke and Cyber Sub. I really like Noob's fatalities and x-rays but he's pretty hard to handle. I'm possibly going to end up using Ermac, Cyrax, and Noob though.

Urichinan

@Urichinan
MK3 was the first video game I ever played (I was 3) and I saw my dad fighting against Sindel, when she screamed I thought "That's cool, I wish I could scream like that!" and ever since then I had always played as a female fighter in every single game I ever had. So when I got up to about 11 I started learning how to play games for real (Combos, match-ups, what's safe, what's not safe, etc.) and I started by going back to MK3 and learning Sindel. So naturally I use her in MK9 and I spent A LOT of time in training (I also put out the first MK9 Sindel combo video to the public) and now I love her! I had a interest in Sheeva and Kitana (Who I used in MK2) so I decided to play around with them, now I can't keep my hands off all three of them! =3 They're also very good tag teammates.

I'm just rambling now, long story short: I use Sindel, Sheeva and Kitana because they are who I grew up using my whole life.

NoDoubt

nasty
I go for whoever seems cool to me. i deff have favorites from when i was young but since the games have changed so much my mains probably wont stick. I loved Kitana and Mileena in MK2 + Umk3. Shang Tsung and Jax too

Whoever can cause trouble up close I like so Sheeva it is for now. Idk who else im gonna use yet after her

McNasty

Moist.
I saw smokes geezer hair and read/heard how much people hate it so i tried him and I dig the air juggles. Ive always disliked kitana but her play style is cool in MK9 so she is on her way to being the secondary. Pick who you think is cool then boil it down to who you play best.

Neclord

Noob
I usually mess around with the entire cast a bit and go for the characters who seems cool to me.
I picked Sindel and Jade so far (as main characters), cause they both are beautiful and I like their playstyle.

But I also like Sonya, Mileena and Ermac. But for now, I just want to focus on two characters and getting better with them. :)

I main Smoke, and I actually chose him before I even saw him.lol

I was on my way to one of the GameStop tourney's and it was gonna be my first time playing so my friends where telling me about all the characters, and I just fell in love.lol. It just so happens that he fit my playing type perfectly, and I can't go back now, cuz a ninja has my heart.... you'll know when you know, it'll just feel right, and if it doesn't just keep sleeping around until you find the right fit...wait, are we still talking about MK?

I main Reptile, mainly due to the fact that i played him in UMK3, and ever since i was little i just loved him. I don't really know the real reasoning, maybe it's because i've always liked the green power ranger as well. Who knows.