What's new

How well do you know your stuff for MLG Halo 3?

CRUM

Noob
Man, I just can't watch COD, like no matter how much I've tried haha. Tried watching it MLG style, tried watching montages, but I just can't watch it haha.
I can respect that, but the whole teamwork dynamic of the game reminds me somewhat of how H3 used to play. It's more communication-based than it is on individual skill

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
IDK...all i know is that i would have bodied all of you and be crowned TYM's halo master.

If Reach killed my hype factor for halo MP, H4 buried it.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
I can respect that, but the whole teamwork dynamic of the game reminds me somewhat of how H3 used to play. It's more communication-based than it is on individual skill
That's cause COD requires no skill whatsoever.

Yeah competitive H3 required teamwork to succeed but if your BR was ass then GTFO scrub. :D Both of those things go hand in hand with intelligent players.

Intelligence
Teamwork
Skill

=

Profit

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
The day we learned y1-y2 on Guardian...jawline needed surgery.
Flag caps, no scopes, and insta-beatdowns with objective items. Timing that clock and making pushes.
That game pushed me into competitive shit.

"THE PUSH IS OVER! FALL BACK" ; "I'm a better sniper than you...""WHAT?!?!?!"
Hey man, it was over.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm always confused when I see stuff like this (and I'm a Counter-Strike player). Anything at the highest level requires skill, otherwise how could the same team win both MLG and the World Championships? If winning is dumb luck, you'd expect that some other random low-tier team would have taken it instead of a repeat.

It's the same as the people that say MK9 takes no skill to win because it has dial-a-combos, jip-combo-guarantees and D-F specials instead of frame links, crossups, and double-shoryuken super motions. Well fine, enter a MK9 major and see how far mashing strings and 'easy' special moves gets you.

Honestly, if there was a tournament for Divekick it would still require skill to win if people started taking it seriously enough. Maybe the game is not your cup of tea, but give due respect.

CRUM

Noob

Yeah competitive H3 required teamwork to succeed but if your BR was ass then GTFO scrub. :D Both of those things go hand in hand with intelligent players.

Intelligence
Teamwork
Skill

=

Profit
Okay so if I said id destroy you one on one in COD, what would you say to that? I'm pretty sure if I followed through and did destroy you in COD it would mean that I'm more skilled then you.

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
So they're just mad because the games were dropped? That's pretty pissy.
Competitive Halo was born in MLG. The halo community doesn't have any grass roots to fall back on like the FGC does. Once MLG dropped halo all the pros and a majority of the followers said GG and left. A lot of what JamesMK talks about is true. Halo kids were used to the professional broadcasts and the money and now nothing. And they do have AGL now but it's not the same :(

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Okay so if I said id destroy you one on one in COD, what would you say to that? I'm pretty sure if I followed through and did destroy you in COD it would mean that I'm more skilled then you.
I'd say you have more knowledge of the game. I haven't played a COD game in over a year, and i know for a fact that if i was thrown into any random match in any of the newer games in a map i've never played in, i'd go positive. To go even further, give me a month of playing the last COD game and i'm 100% sure i'd go toe to toe 1v1 against one of these "pros", maybe i won't win but it won't a total destruction. That's the bottom line for every COD game.

Anyone can pick a game like COD up and do better than they would in Halo. There's a reason it's said a good COD player is as good as the scrubbiest Halo player.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
I'm always confused when I see stuff like this (and I'm a Counter-Strike player). Anything at the highest level requires skill, otherwise how could the same team win both MLG and the World Championships? If winning is dumb luck, you'd expect that some other random low-tier team would have taken it instead of a repeat.

It's the same as the people that say MK9 takes no skill to win because it has dial-a-combos, jip-combo-guarantees and D-F specials instead of frame links, crossups, and double-shoryuken super motions. Well fine, enter a MK9 major and see how far mashing strings and 'easy' special moves gets you.

Honestly, if there was a tournament for Divekick it would still require skill to win if people started taking it seriously enough. Maybe the game is not your cup of tea, but give due respect.
To be good as a team in a game like COD requires just the intellectual aspect of competitive gaming. To put it into terms that FGC fans can understand. If COD was a fighter every knowledgeable person in the FGC would own in their games. People like Ultra David or Skisonic would actually be good in games like Marvel and AE, yet they remain as incredibly knowledgeable people of the games but relatively scrubs in both of those games.

I feel like sharing this, cause I'm sure it's happened to most of you anyway lol.
Anyone else remember going days straight playing this shit, and then going to sleep and dreaming about playing it and finally getting that 50? haha
Then waking up only to find the 46.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
To be good as a team in a game like COD requires just the intellectual aspect of competitive gaming. To put it into terms that FGC fans can understand. If COD was a fighter every knowledgeable person in the FGC would own in their games. People like Ultra David or Skisonic would actually be good in games like Marvel and AE, yet they remain as incredibly knowledgeable people of the games but relatively scrubs in both of those games.
So Fariko just knows more than everybody else? I really disagree. To execute at a high level in a team game like this, you have to be very well coordinated as a unit, practice a ton, and generally be able to perform and react at a high level with a small margin for error when the pressure is on.

I don't see any Skisonics showing up and giving Fariko a run for their money.. And there are tons of armchair experts who will never be able to win a championship.

Toss a team together of 'knowlegeable' commentators and whatnot and see how far they make it at an MLG.. My guess is, not very far.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
Heh I am pretty new to this community, but I have watched nearly all the Halo events. Wish I was good enough to enter atleast one FFA but these guys were no joke. I miss watchin the OGRE brothers dominate everyone. I miss all the hype communty grown storylines, and I just hate that this communty was screwed over because of bloom and gimmicky armor abilities. Well atleast I got to see MK9 on MLG or I would never thought about getting the game.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Competitive Halo was born in MLG. The halo community doesn't have any grass roots to fall back on like the FGC does. Once MLG dropped halo all the pros and a majority of the followers said GG and left. A lot of what JamesMK talks about is true. Halo kids were used to the professional broadcasts and the money and now nothing. And they do have AGL now but it's not the same :(
Actually competetive halo did already excist before mlg...with names as strangepurple, darkman, bigsauce, and the ogre brothers.

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
Actually competetive halo did already excist before mlg...with names as strangepurple, darkman, bigsauce, and the ogre brothers.
Im aware. What I'm trying to say is that the Halo community broke easily after being dropped by MLG.

CRUM

Noob
I'd say you have more knowledge of the game. I haven't played a COD game in over a year, and i know for a fact that if i was thrown into any random match in any of the newer games in a map i've never played in, i'd go positive. To go even further, give me a month of playing the last COD game and i'm 100% sure i'd go toe to toe 1v1 against one of these "pros", maybe i won't win but it won't a total destruction. That's the bottom line for every COD game.

Anyone can pick a game like COD up and do better than they would in Halo. There's a reason it's said a good COD player is as good as the scrubbiest Halo player.
Lol anyone can be a pubstar. Your words have no support. Good luck beating pros at the highest level cause I guarantee you'd get wrecked.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
Man all this talk about halo wants me to start playing again. But sadly my heart is in fighting games. However Halo will always be ny favorite shooter. Next to BF4 er ah I mean BF3.

This kind of shit is why Halo 2>All in my book. It was so entertaining to watch, especially when there's people who are this amazing at the game. I've never seen any Halo 3, 4, Reach, CoD, Battlefield (don't get me wrong, Battlefield is awesome), etc... montage that is legitimately awesome. It just feels like games are getting slower and chunkier, take Melee for instance. You could cancel almost anything in that game (Lag cancelling, ledge cancel, jump cancel, etc) and this system of cancellable animations creates an entire metagame and strategy in itself. This is why I think MK9 was so awesome, (not to say games suck unless you can cancel everything), the difficult execution based competitive edges, paired with community developed strategies is what separates the try-hards from the actual pros.

But these are just my opinions, I don't claim to have any real merit in this discussion