What's new

Question - Hat Trick How viable is hat trick Kung Lao?

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
"The character is GARBAGE." Hat Trick's okay, though most of your wins will depend on the opponent's matchup knowledge. If they do know the matchup, you're in trouble.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
"The character is GARBAGE." Hat Trick's okay, though most of your wins will depend on the opponent's matchup knowledge. If they do know the matchup, you're in trouble.
If you don't know the matchup, you're in trouble no matter which character you play against... Scars win although impressive AF doesn't change the fact that the character is garbage.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
If you don't know the matchup, you're in trouble no matter which character you play against... Scars win although impressive AF doesn't change the fact that the character is garbage.
Fair enough I suppose, though some characters benefit from lack of mu knowledge more than others. In Hat Trick's case, if you don't know that nearly all of his stuff can be poked out of, you'll be respecting a lot of his options even though you don't need to. A character like Kitana benefits less (not a lot less, just less) from lack of MU knowledge because there aren't many secrets to her besides EX-fan.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hat Trick is ass, you can be poked out if you try to apply pressure after you let a trap out, you can be poked out after a regular HCB gets blocked, or punished by KL itself, you can be poked out / uppercuted / armored out after you ex HCB into 112124 because your first hit is slow and hits high, the second hit will only reach when the advantage dies.

You let your hat out with the opponent standing while n front of him you're wide open, you try to launch with a raw trap, and they either delayed wakeup or get launched slowly

Character has no fast pokes, teleport is ass, all followups are ass, hatarang is ass, damage potential is ass, to make it worse, he got stealth nerfs, so he is worse than he already was, NRS killed an already bad character, i understand the need of removing glitches such as the hat trap before hatarang respawn and hatarang still hitting someone after kl gets caught by 1 hit moves, but the character needed the bugs to have some reliable source of offense or defense, the breaker system also killed him, didn't gave him nothing in return now he is among the worsts in the game.

Tweedy

Noob
Lao still does well vs Alien, Sonya and Kung Jin out of the consensus top tiers. Picking him vs them is fine and a win should not be surprising. However, imo, he loses to about everyone else besides characters who share A tier or lower with him.

N00B

Noob
Man if Kung Lao in general gets fast normals that would not help for this variation, that hat trap being a negative, thats hes main tool in this variation and its too much negative and also that whiff issues also needs to be fixed. But still in general for all variations hes main problem is bad up close game, too slow normals for a rushdown character. Kung Lao needs buffs, he needs fast normals in general and special moves buffs, fixes for hat trick.

Last edited:

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Hell will freeze over before that happens. I lost interest in the game since I realize that in world of MKX, in Tournament play HT soon or later will fail Me I will lose to someone who might not be better then AI playing with some TOP 5 character.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
What he needs above all are his tools to work as supposed too.
Then we can talk about better pressure

and after all this, he needs variety, Away and Above hat trap are questionable afk, specially since he can't combo from them. and can't do anything with them either, his tp also doesn't help because is just as much as useless.

best advice: Pick Ronin Takeda, he does things 1000 times better than HT does.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
best advice: Pick Ronin Takeda, he does things 1000 times better than HT does.
I thought about it, even played Ronin on Xbox at my friends recently. I just wish he had some other skins. I mean with all the NRS creativity how lazy Yout got to be to copy a MGS design into MK. Am I the only who after all this bs still believes that NRS will fix him with next patch ?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I thought about it, even played Ronin on Xbox at my friends recently. I just wish he had some other skins. I mean with all the NRS creativity how lazy Yout got to be to copy a MGS design into MK. Am I the only who after all this bs still believes that NRS will fix him with next patch ?
If... we get a patch.

Don't get your hopes too high tho, you may get a Heart attack if we're let down again, which may as well happen.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
The ex hat toss into hat trap, that's what you're talking about right?
nah I was talking about the hat taking longer to come back for certain things, screwing certain things around

im not really on top of this character so yeah the one you just mentioned is a new one to me, what exactly is it?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The ex hat toss into hat trap, that's what you're talking about right?
they nerfed hatarang in general
now it disables the hitbox of the returning hat if kl gets hit after trowing it.
sometimes people that gets hit by hatarang first hit will recover in time to block the returning hat
hatarang in hat trap was keeping the character together they took away 3 things of a move that was helping an already bad character survive along in the tier list.

Add the universal mechanics nerf like "both staminas depletes with breaker" and the "every character does less chip and build less meter" and the general character moves like "Universal damage scaling, J2 hat hitbox nerf" and you he got nothing to compensate for every bad thing that was going to happen to him and you get the how bad Hat Trick in XL actually is compared to his last MKX version before the triborg patch.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
they nerfed hatarang in general
now it disables the hitbox of the returning hat if kl gets hit after trowing it.
sometimes people that gets hit by hatarang first hit will recover in time to block the returning hat
hatarang in hat trap was keeping the character together they took away 3 things of a move that was helping an already bad character survive along in the tier list.

Add the universal mechanics nerf like "both staminas depletes with breaker" and the "every character does less chip and build less meter" and the general character moves like "Universal damage scaling, J2 hat hitbox nerf" and you he got nothing to compensate for every bad thing that was going to happen to him and you get the how bad Hat Trick in XL actually is compared to his last MKX version before the triborg patch.
And the meter building on 112124 specifically has been nerfed, further weakening his meter building game. Basically a Tempest nerf that Hat Trick got caught up in.