What's new

How to understand and Anti-Air in MKX

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The MKX is no way like MK9 when it comes to anti-air, its not that the game lacks anti-air, there is different proprieties in the system that layers out different ways to beat a jab meant to take an attacker out of the air.

On this threat, i will show you a set of 7 rules, that will help you understand why this happens, and hopefully you can use your character and totally work your way against them:

How jump ins work:

1. The float system (time characters take in the air) not jump arc (different heights at same or about same or different speeds) in this game can feel different from character to character, so jabbing someone out of the air may require character specific timings.
a) If you're playing takeda, Cassie, or Scorpion, you can jump in incredibly fast forward avoiding fast projectiles, or backwards, but if you're playing Johnny Cage, you will notice that he hardly avoid fast traveling projectiles by jumping in, even Sub-Zero's ice ball, that happens due the float jump.

2. Jab attacks have 1 to 3 active frames, so they require a precise timing to stuff attacks out of the air, you will get the impression that either you did way earlier, or way late.

3. Jump in attacks in this game are the normals with with longest active frames, they can have 11 to 12 active frames in the air, but they have draw backs too:
a) Jump attacks are around -15 on whiff upon landing (check character specifics frame data for precise information).
b) Jump attacks can have bad tracking
c) jump attacks need to be telegraphed against grounded opponents.

4. Some characters have special jump attacks, all SJAs in this game have 4 common proprieties:
a) They don't need telegraphing to hit characters on the ground no matter if they're standing or ducking
b) They can't be ducked due the large hitbox, or the disjointed hitboxes the attack has.
c) They have equally bad tracking, and are around -15 on whiff
d) They equally can't be telegraphed to hit way late, if they do this the move won't come out and they will land with around -15 frames without being able to block

5. Jump in Kicks are all negative on block, no follow up is guaranteed
a) Almost all jump kicks, it can either be Jump 3 or Jump 4, if you block them, they're around -3 at least

6. Jump in punches have different blockstuns, but are character specifics
a) Some characters have jump ins that are 0 on block, some others are +2 on block
b) Some jump ins doesn't grant a slow overhead or low blockstrings, for example: Kung Jin Jump 2 into F24 is not a true blockstring, you can backdash, armor out or interrupt F2 after you block a jump 2.
c) Blocked jumps into throws are not guaranteed either, because throws can't be dialed as strings so the game doesn't register cancel frame advantage, only block advantage.

7. Neutral Jump punches on the way up hits mid on the way down are overheads, but every character have his own block or whiff advantage.
a) On the way up on block is character specific, Kung Jin is at -13 if you block his NJP on the way up
b) On the way down on block is character specific, Kung Jin is at -10 if you block his NJP on the way down
c) Any NJP that whiffs on the way up is massively punishable upon landing, just match your punish with the landing.
d) Any NJP that is blocked on the way down has character specific frames, check them before decide to do anything.

So how to beat common jump ins? These are the key forms, can be universal in some cases.

Whiff punish by ducking (duck punish): works vs attacks targeting your head
To beat regular jump ins, since they have to be telegrahped, it means if they target your head by pressing the punch or kick way earlier, is the only place where it will hit if you're grounded, you can duck the normal, match your punish with the landing and do a full combo punish on the ground.

Whiff punish by walking (walk punish): works vs most jump attacks in the game
To beat regular jump ins from distance if they're telegraphed to track your head or chest, you can walk backwards, match your punish with the landing for a full combo in the ground.
To beat regular jump ins up close, if they're telegraphed to track your head or chest, you can walk under them, or run under them, match your punish with the landing and get a full combo.
Note: Be aware that chest attacks can be delayed, but once they press the button, it won't autoface anymore, in some cases it won't even autoface if they delay it.

Whiff punish by running under them: Works vs all jump attacks in the game
You can run under any jump normal, and then run back up again for a punish on the landing, in some cases, you can also run right under the normal and punish them on the landing.
Note: Goro has a very slow run, anyone with the same speed on running might be like goro and won't be able to take advantage of this matter

Jab punish: Works vs all attacks targeting ducking, your chest, or your legs
This is the few specific situations to use a jab, in situations where they think you might duck, they will delay the attack from the jump to target ducking, which in consequence hit will put them on the range where your jab reaches before they press a button, this includes cross ups as well.

How to deal with Special Jump attacks (SJA) in MKX

Walk punishes are the most effective, but it needs to be walking backwards away from the hit box.
Running under works best because these jumps have a bad tracking, but still require predicting jumps.
Neutral jump may work if you can predict and react at godlike speeds, be aware that any delay might be crucial to the effectivity of this tactic
Jabbing and Ducking is a terrible idea against these attacks
Use character specific anti-airs, like armored anti-airs or other tactics your character has.

These are the characters i know who fall under this category i only know 3 of them, help me out finding more if you want to complete this guide:

Kung Jin (jump in 2)
+ Disjointed Hitbox (Staff is a separated hitbox from kung jin himself, you can't trade a hit with Jin without bypassing the staff)
+ Large Hitbox that even at earlier press from the top of the jump, it will hit crouching characters
- Floaty Jump in

Kung Lao (Jump in 2)
+ Disjointed hitbox (Hat is a separated hitbox from Kung lao himself, you can't trade a hit with Lao without bypassing the hat)
-(+) Somewhat large hitbox, at some point it can't be ducked, never tested way earlier, but there at determined range where Jump in 2 can't be ducked.
+ Fast jump in

Jax (Jump in 1)
+ Large hitbox on jump in, doesn't need to be telegraphed, it hits even characters crouching
+ Fast jump in

Scorpion (NJP Ninjutsu only)
+ Extended Range
+ Disjointed Hitbox (The swords are a separated hitbox from scorpion, you can't trade a hit with Scorpion without bypassing the swords)

Erron Black (NJP Outlaw only)
+ Extended Range
+ Disjointed Hitbox (The sword is a separated hitbox from Erron, you can't trade a hit with Erron without bypassing the sword)

Ferra/Torr (NJP ruthless and vicious only)
+ Extended Range
+ Disjointed Hitbox (Ferra is a separate hitbox from Torr, you can't trade a hit with Torr without bypassing Ferra)
+ Can still hit the opponent if they are positioned just behind F/T (from a TP or just running underneath them while they're jumping up) Thanks @MK Led

Anyone feel free to post up characters that fall under this same category, i will make a special segment video covering all up with visual details and everything later.

Last edited:

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I find I can Uppercut a shit load of things with Sonya in this game. I never really thought too much about the different things, but that uppercut eats alotta things up, and it is pretty realiable to use on reaction offline. (and sometimes online if connection is decent)

I don't get a combo but it sure makes people think twice about jumping at me, and if they don't think twice they eat 14% every time, so I'm good with it.

infamy23

FireBeard
There's a lot of things in this post that don't make sense, or are just flat out wrong.

"a) Jump attacks are around -15 on whiff upon landing (check character specifics frame data for precise information)."

There is no way that there is 15 landing frames. I would estimate 6-8 frames max.

"b) Jump attacks can have bad tracking"

No idea what you mean by this. Tracking is a Tekken term, I don't see how it applies here.

"c) jump attacks need to be telegraphed against grounded opponents. "

Again, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Telegraph means that you give someone a visual indication that you are going to do something, before you do it.

"b) On the way down on block is character specific, Kung Jin is at -10 if you block his NJP on the way down"

Not true. The menu says -10, but it doesn't take into consideration the fact that his recovery animation is going to be cancelled by his landing frames. He is safe to reptile's EX slide in this situation, so he's -5 at the most.

"d) Any NJP that is blocked on the way down has character specific frames, check them before decide to do anything."

Again, the in-game frame data will not help you here. You'll have to test it manually in order to account for landing frames.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
So, the conclusion is that the only reliable way to always get out of jumpins is to run or walk under them.
This is sad, considering most of the time you are low crouching to guard d3 spam and low mixups and you have to see the opponent jump and instantly get out of crouch block and run, otherwise that bullshit sub j1 and others like it will still get you even when you start walking.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
There's a lot of things in this post that don't make sense, or are just flat out wrong.

"a) Jump attacks are around -15 on whiff upon landing (check character specifics frame data for precise information)."

There is no way that there is 15 landing frames. I would estimate 6-8 frames max.
Around doesnt mean exact, if Scorpion can use a 15 frame attack window and whiff punish a jump in, that attack must be around -15 since they're not able to block it.

"b) Jump attacks can have bad tracking"

No idea what you mean by this. Tracking is a Tekken term, I don't see how it applies here.
You have no idea that, jump attacks auto face as you go under them, it used to happen in MK9, not sure if you played MK9, but this feature has been tweaked in MKX, now if you press a button and someone goes under you the attack doesn't auto correct (track, auto-face) and to the work for you.

"c) jump attacks need to be telegraphed against grounded opponents. "

Again, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Telegraph means that you give someone a visual indication that you are going to do something, before you do it.
Yes, it means anyone who doesn't have a special jump in normal will have to aim that attack to sucessfully hit , if you place the kick to hit characters in the head, it will hit them in the head if they're standing, it might hit someone trying to NJP you out of the air too, but the active frames won't reach to the point of you being crouching, at that point the attack will whiff.

"b) On the way down on block is character specific, Kung Jin is at -10 if you block his NJP on the way down"

Not true. The menu says -10, but it doesn't take into consideration the fact that his recovery animation is going to be cancelled by his landing frames. He is safe to reptile's EX slide in this situation, so he's -5 at the most.
Rule still applies, even if the frame data is wrong, doesn't mean he is plus on block either

"d) Any NJP that is blocked on the way down has character specific frames, check them before decide to do anything."

Again, the in-game frame data will not help you here. You'll have to test it manually in order to account for landing frames.
Again, Rule still applies, even if the frame data is wrong, doesn't mean he is plus on block either, if the frame data is around 80% correct according to NRS, but i doesn't say what exactly are wrong.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So, the conclusion is that the only reliable way to always get out of jumpins is to run or walk under them.
This is sad, considering most of the time you are low crouching to guard d3 spam and low mixups and you have to see the opponent jump and instantly get out of crouch block and run, otherwise that bullshit sub j1 and others like it will still get you even when you start walking.
Backdash probably works out of crossups too, but i don't remember of any character besides sub-zero and maybe Kotal who have a good backdash

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
I find I can Uppercut a shit load of things with Sonya in this game. I never really thought too much about the different things, but that uppercut eats alotta things up, and it is pretty realiable to use on reaction offline. (and sometimes online if connection is decent)

I don't get a combo but it sure makes people think twice about jumping at me, and if they don't think twice they eat 14% every time, so I'm good with it.
I mean have you tried uppercutting ferra/torr, raiden, or kung jin?......these jump ins are the ones the thread is referring to.

Great explanation, it helps a lot! I was being cross up AA all day long with JC and know I understand that it is because he has bad Jin punch so I had to do it late in order to connect with ducking opponent, which makes the anti air easy.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The ideal would be, checking in training mode to which J1s J2s J3s and J4s you can duck if done way earlier, and which ones you can't, this can also be character specific, because if i recall right, Jacqui Briggs has a very weird hitbox as well, so she might duck a jump in Goro can't duck for example.

infamy23

FireBeard
Around doesnt mean exact, if Scorpion can use a 15 frame attack window and whiff punish a jump in, that attack must be around -15 since they're not able to block it.
But, he can't... Scorpion can't even punish a whiffed jump (upon landing) with standing 2 which is 10 frames. I can test this using Adobe Premiere and get you an exact number, but I'm pretty sure it's 6-8 frames.

You have no idea that, jump attacks auto face as you go under them, it used to happen in MK9, not sure if you played MK9, but this feature has been tweaked in MKX, now if you press a button and someone goes under you the attack doesn't auto correct (track, auto-face) and to the work for you.
Ah I see. I suppose that is a form of tracking. Can you confirm that some attacks have worse tracking than others? Seems to me that this is completely dependent on the relative position of the 2 players, no?

Yes, it means anyone who doesn't have a special jump in normal will have to aim that attack to sucessfully hit , if you place the kick to hit characters in the head, it will hit them in the head if they're standing, it might hit someone trying to NJP you out of the air too, but the active frames won't reach to the point of you being crouching, at that point the attack will whiff.
Are you saying that I can visually see that my opponent is aiming for my head (standing) and that I can then crouch on reaction to his early button press?

Rule still applies, even if the frame data is wrong, doesn't mean he is plus on block either
I didn't mean to imply that the frame data is wrong, just that it won't help you in this situation because there is a missing number in the equation.

Kung Jin's NjP probably is -10 on block. But that number is calculated as:

Blockstun - (Recovery + Remaining Active Frames) = Block Advantage

So in this case:

23 - (30 + 3) = -10

However, his recovery frames are being cancelled by his landing frames, so if he makes contact extremely close to the ground, a large portion of his recovery frames will be removed, and replaced with landing frames. This variable makes it impossible to interpret the frame data in a useful way, even if it is correct.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
How can you how the scrubs say it "spam" moves that are usually - on block? lol

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
But, he can't... Scorpion can't even punish a whiffed jump (upon landing) with standing 2 which is 10 frames. I can test this using Adobe Premiere and get you an exact number, but I'm pretty sure it's 6-8 frames.
Well, he can, with F2 in Ninjutsu, F3, B3, standing 1 as well, i've been doing this since i got my hands in the game, and lately i've becoming more and more consistent about it.
I did this video week one in the game:

This is me using in actual matches around the middle of this video

And now i'm even using jabs too in some situations only.

Ah I see. I suppose that is a form of tracking. Can you confirm that some attacks have worse tracking than others? Seems to me that this is completely dependent on the relative position of the 2 players, no?
All Ji1s have better trackings than J2s, without accounting the ones where the rule doesn't apply like Kung Jin who has a disjointed hitbox that can hit you even if you're right under him or slighly behind.

Are you saying that I can visually see that my opponent is aiming for my head (standing) and that I can then crouch on reaction to his early button press?
You can't see, but in a happening match you can read the opponent's tendencies around of what is currently happen, its like a counter.
People that gets jabbed out of the air or is taken out by air to air tactics will mostly do a early button press to beat out your AA, if you can read this step in advance, they will open themselves to duck punish.

Either way, walking backwards complexly or under a Jump in and whiff punishing jump ins do part of the job too, last game from F0xy Grampa i've seen him using this tactic as well with KL

Even as scorpion, i get AAed with D1 when my opponent is Kotal or Kung Jin, so i can't cross up J1 against them, only J3.

I didn't mean to imply that the frame data is wrong, just that it won't help you in this situation because there is a missing number in the equation.

Kung Jin's NjP probably is -10 on block. But that number is calculated as:

Blockstun - (Recovery + Remaining Active Frames) = Block Advantage

So in this case:

23 - (30 + 3) = -10

However, his recovery frames are being cancelled by his landing frames, so if he makes contact extremely close to the ground, a large portion of his recovery frames will be removed, and replaced with landing frames. This variable makes it impossible to interpret the frame data in a useful way, even if it is correct.
Hmm interesting, no offense taken really. all good, but if he is trying to land a stupid safe njp which in this case he will have to delay as much as possible, wouldn't that let him open for a jab out of the air?

infamy23

FireBeard
Hmm interesting, no offense taken really. all good, but if he is trying to land a stupid safe njp which in this case he will have to delay as much as possible, wouldn't that let him open for a jab out of the air?
Yes, but if your opponent has already shown that he isn't reacting to your neutral jumps, you might as well delay it.

I don't think Kung Jin can make his NjP safe, but I know that Raiden can. So people need to be careful when looking at the frame data and seeing that Raiden's NjP is -7, because he can make it all the way up to +8 depending on when he presses the button.

If an unknowing defender thinks "Oh it's -7 so I can armor through if he tries to continue pressure", the defender will get hit by F1 into a full combo because he let go of the block button.

I have a clearer understanding of the concepts you are trying to show. I think there's a bit of a language barrier here. For instance, I don't think telegraph is the right word for the situation you're describing, but I do understand what you mean now.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yes, but if your opponent has already shown that he isn't reacting to your neutral jumps, you might as well delay it.

I don't think Kung Jin can make his NjP safe, but I know that Raiden can. So people need to be careful when looking at the frame data and seeing that Raiden's NjP is -7, because he can make it all the way up to +8 depending on when he presses the button.

If an unknowing defender thinks "Oh it's -7 so I can armor through if he tries to continue pressure", the defender will get hit by F1 into a full combo because he let go of the block button.

I have a clearer understanding of the concepts you are trying to show. I think there's a bit of a language barrier here. For instance, I don't think telegraph is the right word for the situation you're describing, but I do understand what you mean now.
English is not my first language, and i learn a bit of it every day, either how to spell words, write them or new vocabularies.

Some jump in punches in this game have crazy range, but you can see they designed it so these jumpin punches when angled towards a grounded opponent will often get beat by air to airs.

MK Led

Umbasa
Ferra/Torr (NJP ruthless and vicious only)
+ Extended Range
+ Disjointed Hitbox (Ferra is a separate hitbox from Torr, you can't trade a hit with Torr without bypassing Ferra)
+ Can still hit the opponent if they are positioned just behind F/T (from a TP or just running underneath them while they're jumping up)

- You may forget you have any other moves and lose. The struggle. :rolleyes:

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
There's a trip guard in this game for sure and it doesn't really matter how negative a jump in is on block. You can hit them as they're recovering from the jump in. On block it's a different story but there's still NJP's that are punishable on block like KJ's depending on height.

D4G

Win At All Cost
This thread has a lot of good information and all but I think most of it is only good on paper. Risking a mistimed anti air jab is not worth a potential free combo for your opponent. And guessing when your opponent times their jump in attacks is not a viable strategy for the same reason. Performing a run under, dash or walk backwards seem the most practical. But like someone posted earlier these are not true Anti-Airs. These are whiff punish strategies.

The fact of the matter is anti-airing in this game is complete ass. AA is a very critical element to any fughting game and NRS has had 3 games now to get right, only to botch it up even worse than the game's before it. Every single anti air grab in this game gets beat out by jump ins or even trades, like when the fuck has that ever happened in a fighting game, Smh.

D2 is the only universal AA that is decent, and if you're D2 sucks you are boned, Unless you play a character with a fast AA special like Cassie Cage, Raiden, Kung Lao etc..