What's new

How to stop pressure or: how to stop simple string spamming online...?

ANSHOXX

What if?
Hey guys!

I have the following problem:
I played ranked, faced a really really bad Cassie Cage, the only thing he was doing was mixing up OH/LOW Strings without a combo and he poked sometimes. When I was on the ground and hold down to wakeup later, he just kept on spamming those strings. In the end I lost...
Normally I do this: Block until string is over, poke D1/D3/D4 (Character specific), follow up with a Mixup or a simple string or anything. The funny thing: it didnt work. He did not block my D1 of Ermac so I should be + frames but he simply did his shitty Strings again and again and again. Idk how to stop this without EX Armor or a poke. Do I miss anything? Am I really that bad? I dont get it. Online pokes wont work many times, u hit the poke and they dont block it but it seems that they are + frames and not you yourself. Its annoying. Do you have any suggestions? I hate to lose against spammers that just do the same strings over and over again, exspecially block strings.

Thanks

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Being able to do combos doesn't make you a good player. Getting out footsied on the other hand makes me think he was probably decent but was maybe new to sonya. When I pick up a new character, it takes me a week or two to get used to the combos, so I usually grind it out just using strings. Staggering, mixing up, poking, etc. Learning a character is more about discovering their boundaries through normals and specials much moreso than combos and damage. I'd suggest going into training mode against characters you have issues with and practice blocking their mixups over and over until you can do it naturally without thinking about it.

zoofs

bless
find a frame data guide and read it, focus on not trying to poke after a string unless you are positive you will have enough frames to poke without them doing something fast enough to hit you out of it. This game has a lot to do with knowing yours and your opponents frame data specific to each char, so I suggest going through cassie and ermac's stuff in practice.

ANSHOXX

What if?
Blocking Cassies Strings was not the problem, but I couldnt do anything after blocking them. Back Dash or D1 did not help. For example he did F444 (I think that are the inputs for the OH/LOW/MID String and I blocked it, tried to backdash or D1 but it didnt work. Connection was 3bar. I dont know how to avoid losing to such things. Dont get me wrong, I dont think anybody who doesnt know combos is bad, but this guy obviously wasnt good. When I blocked a D1/3/4 of him he did not respect it and did a string lol and I couldnt do anything about it. And if I block 24/7 u know what happens lol.

ANSHOXX

What if?
find a frame data guide and read it, focus on not trying to poke after a string unless you are positive you will have enough frames to poke without them doing something fast enough to hit you out of it. This game has a lot to do with knowing yours and your opponents frame data specific to each char, so I suggest going through cassie and ermac's stuff in practice.
I went to practice and tried it out. The string I meant with F444 is the string F33. Its -8 on block, Ermacs D1 has a 6 Frame start up. So it should work^^

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Blocking Cassies Strings was not the problem, but I couldnt do anything after blocking them. Back Dash or D1 did not help. For example he did F444 (I think that are the inputs for the OH/LOW/MID String and I blocked it, tried to backdash or D1 but it didnt work. Connection was 3bar. I dont know how to avoid losing to such things. Dont get me wrong, I dont think anybody who doesnt know combos is bad, but this guy obviously wasnt good. When I blocked a D1/3/4 of him he did not respect it and did a string lol and I couldnt do anything about it. And if I block 24/7 u know what happens lol.
It sounds like what that guy was doing wasn't pressure, but just mashing the strings repeatedly. If you ever find anyone like this you should save yourself the hassle and just quit. When playing online the lag can sometimes make it so it feels IMPOSSIBLE to counter-poke and you'll always get beat out by a masher unless they are at like -30. If this occurs a lot though, which it usually does, just use Tempest Lao. His ExSpin is great for stuffing crossups, counter poking and also great for anti airs. Just learn a few simple combos so you can pull them off in lag then voila!

Or take my preferred route, choose Summoner Quan and vortex them to death. :tonyt

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
OP, it sounds like you have an understanding of frames and know that pokes can earn you advantage. Its hard to be frame perfect especially online. The solution would have been to make him stop pressing buttons. Poke the shit out of him if you know he'll keep pressing. Once he notices his strings are getting cut short then he'd probs stop mashing and switch to block or just start jumping.
Make him react then react to him.

ANSHOXX

What if?
It sounds like what that guy was doing wasn't pressure, but just mashing the strings repeatedly. If you ever find anyone like this you should save yourself the hassle and just quit. When playing online the lag can sometimes make it so it feels IMPOSSIBLE to counter-poke and you'll always get beat out by a masher unless they are at like -30. If this occurs a lot though, which it usually does, just use Tempest Lao. His ExSpin is great for stuffing crossups, counter poking and also great for anti airs. Just learn a few simple combos so you can pull them off in lag then voila!

Or take my preferred route, choose Summoner Quan and vortex them to death. :tonyt
I will not believe its lag, but it seems so. My timing for a poke or back dash after a blocked string isnt that bad...

Tbh, Summoner Quan is my 2nd Main, 2nd game when I found him again I zoned him to death. Round 2 I did the vortex and he didnt break or Armor through, so you see what kind of player he was. Annyoing to lose vs this kind of player x.x
I wont say Im a good player, but I definitly try to learn the game and I doubt this guy ever was in the lab lol

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
haha string spamming never heard that before. Deffenitly gonna use that in my ragemails next time i play and get bodied