What's new

How to practice anti airing and punishing?

First of all, I know how much everybody hates unnecessary threads... But i did search but couldn't find an answer. So sorry if this came up numerous times before. Anyway this can apply to mk9 or injustice but I basically still have no idea how to anti air or punish my opponent. How exactly do you practice these? Is it as simple as setting the CPU to jump in training mode( anti air practice) or playing against and punishing the CPU(punishing practice)? Any input is much appreciated.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
First of all, I know how much everybody hates unnecessary threads... But i did search but couldn't find an answer. So sorry if this came up numerous times before. Anyway this can apply to mk9 or injustice but I basically still have no idea how to anti air or punish my opponent. How exactly do you practice these? Is it as simple as setting the CPU to jump in training mode( anti air practice) or playing against and punishing the CPU(punishing practice)? Any input is much appreciated.
Injustice it's much easier to practice than MK9 because of the nice record feature. In both of these scenarios (anti-airing and punishing) just set the AI option to record to do whatever you want, then beat it with your char. For example, if you want to practice anti-airing Batman, record him doing jump 2 on you. You can switch up the heights at which he does his jump 2 as it could possibly change the timing on your anti-air.

Punishes, record the AI doing something unsafe, Aquaman's low scoop for example, then hold down for a second or so after the move is done to ensure you are blocking long enough to show if you failed to punish it. Then you can practice punishing, and if your timing is off you will see the AI blocked it.

For anti-airs, I just play the CPU in single player, and I try to react to them jumping in with my characters' ideal AA. I made it a goal to do an AA at least once every match.

Punishing requires you to be comfortable all of your characters' moves, and to have your mind tuned to them. To me, it's like you become one with your character's movelist or something similar.
Let me use Deathstroke for answers to the questions, since I don't know anyone else:
-What are the fastest punishers that lead into a combo? (Fastest to slowest)
(F2,3 / 1,3,2 / Standing 3)
-What are the longest-reaching punishers? (Shortest to longest)
(Standing 3 / F3)
-What are the slower punishers that may lead to higher damage?
(B3 / F3)
-In case they are out of reach, what move allows me deal some damage for the opponent's mistake?
(Gunshots / EX Gunshots)

Sorry if I'm not much help.

Yeah, that neat record feature isn't present isn't mk9(only replays) so I guess im sol. But thanks anyway, I never even used the record thing for injustice but now I will.