What's new

Guide - Thunder God How to open someone up once they know the matchup

Dinosaur

Data Collecting
Hey guys I've been having some issues opening up mileena and tanya lately and I recently got bodied hard in a online match with a friend. At this point he knows my raiden (thunder god only) in and out due to playing over 200+ games with him as raiden and at this point im having alot of trouble opening him up with any of my basic starters.

I'm basically waiting to meter burn my df2 into b12 bobbley everytime now because im so shook mid since hes learned to jump the shock to teleport which was my go to meter builder w/without block, the low of 214 is so slow and he always knows to block the low at that point, and obviously i use my f12 to try and catch him but online hes still beating me most of the time. i dont know what to do to start my mid screen combos. And i have to respect both tanya and mileenas frames and wakeups cause both characters have great 50/50s, and milleena just got that much safer after the patch.

if im standing he knows im going for df2/b12/214 and if hes ducking he usually has enough time to stand for my b1 and then i get a huge punish, if i jump1 and he blocks i'll get punished by either the low spin or the high dropkick overhead with tanya, or he ex's mileenas low psy or exs the roll for over head, so both characters have an ex low/overhead. Because I'm not forcing him to break, he's meter obese and im always meter starved.

So my question is what do you guys do against someone who knows the raiden matchup well, and where can i change my strategy up to better handle these faster characters?

I'll also post a video of us playing later today or tomorrow in some offline matches because after that last online match i went 6/20 against his mileena and tanya and thats a hard L to take

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
50/50s and throw are his best tools to open people up. His pokes aren't great but he can stagger strings into LRC and be safe a lot of the time or make people uncomfortable taking loads of chip.

Dinosaur

Data Collecting
50/50s and throw are his best tools to open people up. His pokes aren't great but he can stagger strings into LRC and be safe a lot of the time or make people uncomfortable taking loads of chip.
my throws wiff 99% of the time on both mileena and tanya unless im literally balls deep in them lol the hitboxs seem insane on the female cast, raiden looks like hes going for a big hug just to get a foot to the face.

Last edited:

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
my throws wiff 99% of the time on both mileenas and tanya unless im literally balls deep in them lol the hitboxs seem insane on the female cast, raiden looks like hes going for a big hug just to get a foot to the face.
Make them think they have to block,use LRC to make them uncomfortable and things like 21LRC throw and b3LRC throw will work on block

I feel the main goal for raiden is to get his opponent in the corner. Use b3 or b2 accordingly along with LRC combos to get your opponent to the corner. Once you're there you can blow up armored wake ups with b3,2(hold). Timed right it will blow up almost every wake up in the game. Once they don't wake up you have b2, full combo, b3, and throw leading into more mix ups. Adjust to your opponent and use Raiden's godlike njp, also his f4 got buffed to -3 on block. D3 for counter pokes.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
I feel the main goal for raiden is to get his opponent in the corner. Use b3 or b2 accordingly along with LRC combos to get your opponent to the corner. Once you're there you can blow up armored wake ups with b3,2(hold). Timed right it will blow up almost every wake up in the game. Once they don't wake up you have b2, full combo, b3, and throw leading into more mix ups. Adjust to your opponent and use Raiden's godlike njp, also his f4 got buffed to -3 on block. D3 for counter pokes.
D1 is better for counterpoking.

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
A trick I use when people are being tricky to open up is to do f12b2 hold 2 then if they block it then use EXshocker to punish them for not respecting my meter. (if they don't block then it's business as usual, Raiden Winz) This will give you a full corner carry with either 34superman or b14 LRC 214 superman. After a few times of sending them to the corner and then the hospital they will be a lot easier to maintain pressure on which should open up some 50/50 situations.

Also, those lightning strings are the best ways to build meter. If they are blocking then you should be making about half a meter or so off each string. Hit confirming the lightning pressure is key to meter and stomping.

Vaiist

Noob
I'm of the opinion that 21 is Raiden's most valuable string. He's used to your 214, right? So once he starts blocking low, do 21 and then press b2 instead of 4. Now it's hitting overhead while he's anticipating the low. Start to become unpredictable with that.

Once you play even more and he's learned to watch out for it, now you start to mess with him even further by going for b3. You do 21 and there is a slight pause. This makes him think you're going for the b2, so he stand blocks. Now you go in with the b3 and get whichever low combo you want. All the meanwhile you want to be throwing out 214 occasionally so he doesn't forget you're still capable of that. Once you've both become a little unpredictable, go for 21 grab. Between 214, 21 b2, 21 b3, and 21 grab (forwards or backwards), you have a very simple five-way mixup.

It's the simplest thing in the world that took me a really long time to notice. Once you become comfortable training them to do things and recognizing how they're reading you, it's an amazing tool to open people up.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Use his 50/50, accept that they can punish the OH, make it worthwhile for when it connects and condition your opponent to block low. Use your metergain to armor through gaps, Shocker starts you a good combo. EX-Superman can get you in and give you a follow-up 50/50 on knockdown, from anywhere on the screen, and also often puts your opponent in the corner. If all else fails, use throws, which also helps condition your way through with the OH