What's new

Question - Tanya How to have the upper hand in Dragon Naginata?

InfamousSloth

Infused with Greatness
Does anyone know a good strategy in a match while playing Dragon Naginata?
I feel like the variation suffered pretty badly because of the lacking invulnerability frames on her teleports, and it's pretty hard for me to get in with that variation for some reason. With Pyromancer and Kobu Jutsu I have no problems at all, but I want to learn Dragon Naginata as well.
If anyone has a good strategy with the variation please reply :)

InfamousSloth

Infused with Greatness
Put down dragon Naginata. It's bad. There is no point of learning it at its current state.

Pyro is eh as well. Play Kobu, it's literally the only thing keeping her from being a forgotten character.
I main Kobu Jutsu, but I wanted to switch it up a little, but if you say theres no point then I guess I'll just leave it. Kinda sad that players are forced to play that one variation though.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
wait...but....wait..what
Nerf Kobu so that's Her Rekka's and tonfa throw and telepressure (even more). Where does that leave her?

People tend to forget that Kobu wasn't her best variation on release. There was no delaying Rekka's for safety. They buffed Kobu while universally nerfing things from the other two that helped them with their flaws. Things that Kobu didn't need.

But target Kobu specifically with nerfs and you'll see way less of her. When was the last time you've seen Dragon Naginata at a major and do well? Same with Pyro.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
You'll see my Naginata doing work soon, son.
I think it's under-explored coz everyone dipped once the teleport nerf happened, which hurt her obviously don't get me wrong. It's still good though. Not as derp as Kobu but it's far from being bad.

Dinosaur

Data Collecting
Nerf Kobu so that's Her Rekka's and tonfa throw and telepressure (even more). Where does that leave her?

People tend to forget that Kobu wasn't her best variation on release. There was no delaying Rekka's for safety. They buffed Kobu while universally nerfing things from the other two that helped them with their flaws. Things that Kobu didn't need.

But target Kobu specifically with nerfs and you'll see way less of her. When was the last time you've seen Dragon Naginata at a major and do well? Same with Pyro.
I haven't seen 90% of the cast ina majors top 8 since release, does that mean they're forgotten? Tanya is top 3, granted it's one variation. But seeing as how some characters have 3 variations and none of them are top 10 what you're saying sounds a little crazy to me. Idk where naginata is on the teir list, but i know that if you spend enough time with a character you can do well with them online or offline. I don't think op his heading into any top 8's anytime soon so the major argument is invalid.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
I haven't seen 90% of the cast ina majors top 8 since release, does that mean they're forgotten? Tanya is top 3, granted it's one variation. But seeing as how some characters have 3 variations and none of them are top 10 what you're saying sounds a little crazy to me. Idk where naginata is on the teir list, but i know that if you spend enough time with a character you can do well with them online or offline. I don't think op his heading into any top 8's anytime soon so the major argument is invalid.
I'm not talking about top 8. I'm talking in pools in at majors. The last Pyro Tanya at a major after all the nerfs was myself at Summer Jam.

I'm saying there isn't much a point in learning DN since Kobu covers ever thing she needs and there aren't any match ups to my knowledge that would be easier to use DN over Kobu.

If op wants to learn it for fun go ahead. It's not all that needed though is what I'm saying.

Dinosaur

Data Collecting
I'm not talking about top 8. I'm talking in pools in at majors. The last Pyro Tanya at a major after all the nerfs was myself at Summer Jam.

I'm saying there isn't much a point in learning DN since Kobu covers ever thing she needs and there aren't any match ups to my knowledge that would be easier to use DN over Kobu.

If op wants to learn it for fun go ahead. It's not all that needed though is what I'm saying.
I agree.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
How do you play it? Keep your distance with her back 2 footsies and wait till the other player makes a mistake, or do you just go in all the time?
b2 is unsafe unless it's in max range (and even then I think Reptile and Sub can punish) so be careful with it lol.

It's less reliant on pressure and more about staying in spots that are harder to deal with coz the of the pogo stance and confusing them/annoying them coz you're pogo'ing everywhere. She also has the biggest damage in this variation last I checked coz you can do stuff like ground string xx tele pogo j1 ground string xx tele pogo ji1 ground string into finisher for ~40% meterless.
b2 and db2 are both really good anti-airs coz the naginata doesn't have a hurtbox.
b32 is gapless and has 2 quick hits in the middle (can be used to stuff armor), last hit is an overhead so you can cancel into drill or teleport cancel before it to do mixups.
f42 is gapless and hits OH, you can mixup with f43.
b1 has awesome range but it's a high. b12 is too slow so I never really use it.
bf2 has insane range so you can use it as a poke/check, they can't punish if you use it from max range-ish. EX goes into pogo and you combo after but it's a waste of a bar from my experience.

It's biggest strength imo is how you can stay in the air (pogo) more or less the whole match if you want to, which is in general a hard place for most characters to fight you in. You can cancel air normals into pogo then cancel into tele or pogo again or more air normals.
Against a lot of zoning tools you can just pogo f2/2 pogo with air tele mixed in to avoid all of it, it's awesome.
pogo~ 4 is amazing to deal with people that think just jumping and hitting buttons is the answer to pogo coz it's quick and off of a blocked pogo there's a very small gap (not enough for their jump in to come out).
pogo~ 1 is slow but it's a safe overhead and has mad range, midscreen you can combo a b2 after to push them to the corner and in the corner you can do a full combo.
pogo~ 3 is a pretty quick low that knocks down, it's a ghetto mixup with pogo~1 but it's like -17 so don't overuse it, I use it as a check if I see people always stand blocking when I'm close or using pogo stuff.
Also don't forget you can cancel pogo with 2 and do you air normals so you can do stuff like pogo 2 nj1.

At the end of the day tho Kobu is definitely better coz of the pressure she has in it, in a game where normals do chip that shit's godlike. DN is still viable tho imo.

InfamousSloth

Infused with Greatness
b2 is unsafe unless it's in max range (and even then I think Reptile and Sub can punish) so be careful with it lol.

It's less reliant on pressure and more about staying in spots that are harder to deal with coz the of the pogo stance and confusing them/annoying them coz you're pogo'ing everywhere. She also has the biggest damage in this variation last I checked coz you can do stuff like ground string xx tele pogo j1 ground string xx tele pogo ji1 ground string into finisher for ~40% meterless.
b2 and db2 are both really good anti-airs coz the naginata doesn't have a hurtbox.
b32 is gapless and has 2 quick hits in the middle (can be used to stuff armor), last hit is an overhead so you can cancel into drill or teleport cancel before it to do mixups.
f42 is gapless and hits OH, you can mixup with f43.
b1 has awesome range but it's a high. b12 is too slow so I never really use it.
bf2 has insane range so you can use it as a poke/check, they can't punish if you use it from max range-ish. EX goes into pogo and you combo after but it's a waste of a bar from my experience.

It's biggest strength imo is how you can stay in the air (pogo) more or less the whole match if you want to, which is in general a hard place for most characters to fight you in. You can cancel air normals into pogo then cancel into tele or pogo again or more air normals.
Against a lot of zoning tools you can just pogo f2/2 pogo with air tele mixed in to avoid all of it, it's awesome.
pogo~ 4 is amazing to deal with people that think just jumping and hitting buttons is the answer to pogo coz it's quick and off of a blocked pogo there's a very small gap (not enough for their jump in to come out).
pogo~ 1 is slow but it's a safe overhead and has mad range, midscreen you can combo a b2 after to push them to the corner and in the corner you can do a full combo.
pogo~ 3 is a pretty quick low that knocks down, it's a ghetto mixup with pogo~1 but it's like -17 so don't overuse it, I use it as a check if I see people always stand blocking when I'm close or using pogo stuff.
Also don't forget you can cancel pogo with 2 and do you air normals so you can do stuff like pogo 2 nj1.

At the end of the day tho Kobu is definitely better coz of the pressure she has in it, in a game where normals do chip that shit's godlike. DN is still viable tho imo.
OMG yes that's the kind of reply I wanted, thank you so much !! :D I'll definetly check out everything you wrote here :D Thank you so much!

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
OMG yes that's the kind of reply I wanted, thank you so much !! :D I'll definetly check out everything you wrote here :D Thank you so much!
@TrulyAmiracle is right, DN is def viable. It's just night and day (playstyle-wise) compared to Kobu.

I'm making a guide for it and I've been labbing the variation since her release. If you have good execution and good spacing, it can be as deadly as Kobu.

Also, she has a legit 50/50 in the corner if you master her instant pogo.

InfamousSloth

Infused with Greatness
@TrulyAmiracle is right, DN is def viable. It's just night and day (playstyle-wise) compared to Kobu.

I'm making a guide for it and I've been labbing the variation since her release. If you have good execution and good spacing, it can be as deadly as Kobu.

Can you please tag me when you made the guide? I'd be very interested in it :)

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.

I'd like a tag as well if possible. I've always found Tanya a little bland for my tastes, but DN I have always found super interesting. I'd like to see what's out there for.that variation from the folks who know.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You'll see my Naginata doing work soon, son.
I think it's under-explored coz everyone dipped once the teleport nerf happened, which hurt her obviously don't get me wrong. It's still good though. Not as derp as Kobu but it's far from being bad.
Naginata is bad, it was designed to function in sync with her vanila tele which was tone down a lot, the mobility game from Naginata is lost, you still think is good, i honestly think its pretty bad. Just as some Hat Trick players think Hat Trick is good, Hat Trick is fundamentaly flawed and can't be taken into a competitive scene.

Last edited:

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Blame NRS for balancing the entire character around her teleport being retarded. Now that it's not retarded, DN and pyro pale in comparision to infinite chip damage jutsu.