What's new

Question - Scorpion How to handle pressure on knockdown

Amios

Noob
Hey Folks.

I am having trouble handling the pressure of the enemy attacks after being knocked down (random combo ends, Throw, beeing in the Corner). Most of the time I am finding myself in a kind of a 50/50 situation and getting beaten up. I am like "there has to be a way to get rid of that pressure without any bar of meter". I mean, a canceld EX TP is good, but what to do if you are as scorpion in the corner and getting pressured by... uhm lets say Erron or Cassie or someone else with a fast Overhead/low string (well, the string does not even matter). So far I've tryed db3 cancel and d1 to stop that but either I am doing the timing wrong or its impossible and I dont want to believe that :)

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Scorpion definitely suffers in the corner, while EX tele is good it's your only real option which means your opponent only has to worry about one thing which makes it easy to predict. Be very careful with a canceled EX tele as well, a smart player will be watching your stamina bar and if they see it deplete they will be ready to punish. Then you've burned a bar and you won't be able to break.

If the character you're facing has a very strong 50-50 game then the best thing to do is learn it and all it's posible options. That way you can kind of get in the head of say an Erron player or Cassie player. Unfortunately sometimes it is nothing more than a guess so you'll have to do your best to make a read.

Delayed wake up is also very good, but try not to be too reliant on it. Do not underestimate wake up throw either, it's very fast and can catch people by surprise and as an added bonus your opponent is now in the corner which means you can create some space.

Matix218

Get over here!
Hey Folks.

I am having trouble handling the pressure of the enemy attacks after being knocked down (random combo ends, Throw, beeing in the Corner). Most of the time I am finding myself in a kind of a 50/50 situation and getting beaten up. I am like "there has to be a way to get rid of that pressure without any bar of meter". I mean, a canceld EX TP is good, but what to do if you are as scorpion in the corner and getting pressured by... uhm lets say Erron or Cassie or someone else with a fast Overhead/low string (well, the string does not even matter). So far I've tryed db3 cancel and d1 to stop that but either I am doing the timing wrong or its impossible and I dont want to believe that :)
There is really no simple answer to this since it depends on your opponent and the tools that that particular character has to pressure you. A lot of things will stuff ex teleport wakeup and obviously if they scout it and block you are getting full combo punished. D1 is 6 frames so it will beat moves that start up slower than that assuming they don't use armor. You have the armor option as well with ex takedown but again the risk is massive since even if you are right you only get 15% but if wrong you get combo'd. You can always block too and if the opponent is going for a 50/50 usually there is some risk for them as will and scorpion is a good punisher. Its not like mk9 where all many non ex wakeups have invincibility. Oki is stronger in this game than the last mk

Tweedy

Noob
Figuring out what each character can do, while trying to poke out with D1, is probably the best option.

A good player will most likely be looking to bait your teleport or takedown. It's better to rely on your block first in my opinion. If they're too aggressive and they don't respect those options, make them.

Amios

Noob
Guys you are awesome. Thanks for the good advices and hopefully this thread will also be helpful for other ppl.
I will try to realize your points and will give proper feedback.

Ze Dingo

D4->F2 = unblockable. Ice Clone = unpunishable.
Keep in mind your D1 is full combo punishable on block via reversal at -9.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
You have a powerful armoured option that leads to a lot of damage if you use it at the right moment. Some things are very unsafe on whiff.
It's hard to tell because each character is different in that regard. Recording your matches and then checking your options in frame data is a very strong tool to figure out what next.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
It should be noted that any character with a good forward advancing string can nullify wake up ex teleport by making it whiff. This forces you to either block or use takedown instead.

Scoot Magee

Also takedown is better than people give it credit for. It's -5 on hit if the other player wakes up and +5 if they don't. Against fast wake up attacks you can just hold block for a split second after landing a takedown, if they wake up you'll block and if they don't you can go into pressure/grabs and etc. There's a 10 frame difference so with the correct rhythm it works as an option select.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Also takedown is better than people give it credit for. It's -5 on hit if the other player wakes up and +5 if they don't. Against fast wake up attacks you can just hold block for a split second after landing a takedown, if they wake up you'll block and if they don't you can go into pressure/grabs and etc. There's a 10 frame difference so with the correct rhythm it works as an option select.
I'd agree with this but backdash is very tough to deal with since I believe it can be cancelled at the same rate as a wakeup attack. We're just lucky most players don't actually do that.

Takedown isn't the worst armor move in the game, but it's probably bottom 5.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Pressure is Scorpion's bane, as you've come to realize. Your only means to stop it lie within a 6-frame D1, a 7-frame D3, EX Takedown, timing a backdash, or blocking until they are at negative frames.

Quite obviously, all of the above options come with setbacks that could lead you to a world of hurt.

- your D1 is -9 on block, meaning that certain members of the cast can punish it if they scout it.
- your D3 is one frame slower than D1 as well as safer, but has much lesser range.
- EX Takedown has armor, but is extremely negative and the hit advantage is not reliable.
- backdash covers a lot of distance, but if mistimed, the start-up will be stuffed. This will obviously not work if you are cornered.

As others have suggested, you are going to have to study the offensive options allotted to your opponents' characters and devise a means to counter their strategy. You MIGHT try cancelling into a teleport off a D1 and spend all your stamina to either go full-screen or in the corner, in the hopes that they won't scout it and punish you. I'm sure this could be interrupted, though, so don't get crazy with it.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
One thing no one has noted is that if someone is respecting you as Scorpion, and trying to bait a teleport, throw them. You can throw on wakeup and potentially corner them. I'm surprised no one mmentioned it.

Scoot Magee

I'd agree with this but backdash is very tough to deal with since I believe it can be cancelled at the same rate as a wakeup attack. We're just lucky most players don't actually do that.

Takedown isn't the worst armor move in the game, but it's probably bottom 5.
Yeah i think youre right about back dash coming out as early as wake up.There's probably a bunch of backdashes that can get hit out by his strings but I don't know. At least using this after takedown does cover wake up attack and block so i think its still somewhat useful.

Last edited:

JINAMOUNAINAI

He who is on fire is not troubled by the smoke
Wake up d2 will always punish characters who try to bait a teleport and nj punch you, many ppl go for jump ins and nj when scorpion is waking up since it punishes both scorpions armor wake ups and you can easily react with d2, doesnt even have to be a read

Wake up d2 will always punish characters who try to bait a teleport and nj punch you, many ppl go for jump ins and nj when scorpion is waking up since it punishes both scorpions armor wake ups and you can easily react with d2, doesnt even have to be a read
Wow that's a good idea. I will test it as I face that problem quite often. Many jumping against me incl. Njp

I always standing block against that but it's not a good choice as I am pressured again.