What's new

How to fix Mortal Kombat (a thread from SRK)

I don't know what's wrong with MK: D (I know it's broken, 9/10 MK games are). I liked it, I think they almost perfected MK on 3D format with that one. They had flaws but they could be fixed. I like the fact that each Character has their own fighting style and weapons, that is original. In the old Mk's everyone basically was doing the same shit. UMK3 is the Bible then MK: D is the Torah. Why go back to 2D and not progress? Street Fighter isn't even in 2D if you want to be technical, they even evolved the look of the game. Another thing I wouldn't bother reading a SF forum on how to make MK better because they'll just turn it into a SF and this is why a MK vs SF game will NEVER happen. You'll have debates over a block button vs holding back and other dumb shit. If MK9 is gonna be gore and all that good shit, I think it's a good chance they are going for the deception look because that was definitely top 3 (If not #1) Grimiest MK game. I think they could definitely improve any errors by having updates n patches. I do agree that they should be more detailed with attacks, and change special attacks. But it's ultimately up to Boon. Tobias is coming back for MK9 so maybe he has some ideas we haven't seen yet. What's wrong with sidestepping? Any good player can adapt, take out fatalities? Why take out the 1 thing that separated MK from all the others. This is not Street Fighter.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Opinions are opinions, and yours sucks (no offense)

why is 3d games considered progress? The 3d MKs are garbage, face it. You might LIKE it, but they are no where near a decent or legit fighter.

and how isnt SF not "technically" 2d? Do you even know the difference? 3d styled Character models dont make a game 3d. The game is strictly 2d.

Not trying to shit on your first post, (thank you for joining!) but you have alot to learn, padawan.

Opinions are opinions, and yours sucks (no offense)

why is 3d games considered progress? The 3d MKs are garbage, face it. You might LIKE it, but they are no where near a decent or legit fighter.

and how isnt SF not "technically" 2d? Do you even know the difference? 3d styled Character models dont make a game 3d. The game is strictly 2d.

Not trying to shit on your first post, (thank you for joining!) but you have alot to learn, padawan.
LOL I don't have alot to learn. I came over from MKU because someone asked me to. I know the difference between a 3d and 2d game, I was talking about in terms of design, that's why I said they evolved the look of the game. Please read. Maybe I should state more clearly what i'm talking about for people who can't use context clues. You Suck Dick too (No Offense)
Back to the topic. Why would you just restrict movement to side to side? IDK to each's own I guess.

Tim Static

Adminerator
LOL I don't have alot to learn. I came over from MKU because someone asked me to. I know the difference between a 3d and 2d game, I was talking about in terms of design, that's why I said they evolved the look of the game. Please read. Maybe I should state more clearly what i'm talking about for people who can't use context clues. You Suck Dick too (No Offense)
Back to the topic. Why would you just restrict movement to side to side? IDK to each's own I guess.
I read what you posted, and if you want to trade insults, I'll win that too.

But why include side to side movement? why not.....jump over or..........*gasp* use the block feature? If you want a 3d game, play a decent more polished engine then. But i still get over the fact you think MKD perfected anything other than one of the worst fighters i've ever played

I read what you posted, and if you want to trade insults, I'll win that too.

But why include side to side movement? why not.....jump over or..........*gasp* use the block feature? If you want a 3d game, play a decent more polished engine then. But i still get over the fact you think MKD perfected anything other than one of the worst fighters i've ever played
I'm not gonna trade Insults over an internet forum with you. I have better things to do. You still suck dick so it's whatever. Anyways, That's what I've been saying the whole time, just tweak the engine a lil bit and they could've had a better outcome, you're not reading. AND I said ALMOST perfected. You're still not reading.

Anyways I hope the new MK will deliver cause, I need something to play. MK vs DC wasn't cutting it for me.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I have to actually agree w/ both posts, unfortunately MKD was a bad game though. There were ALOT of things I liked about it, the dark eerie atmosphere, cool finishers, long intricate combos, and a very high replay value for those who have not spoiled the game by getting "too good" at it. Unfortunately, after defending the likes of MKD for well over a year, a few of the members of the community got online MKD w/ me and showed me why this game sucks so bad.....and it's true, ....MKD SUCKS AND I HATE IT. Sure it was tons of fun, but unless you use Dai, Bo or Noob-Smoke, you will lose...lol, most likely get put in an infinite or an extremely over-powered OTG (on the ground) combo, or simply 50/50'd to death. While MKD had almost NO defensive maneuvers except blocking, side-stepping, and a few combo-breakers these features did little when held in contrast w/ the way the game engine actually works and what it allows you to do to your opponent, supporting ridiculous features like Free Throws (especially from a mere Jump-over).

For those of you who think MKD was a good game and enjoyed, I encourage you to find a really good Dairou-player and see how much you still enjoy the game when it turns into 30 minutes spammed Tombstone Drops, in which case the jumping ability is so shitty, it is nearly impossible to mount a decent offense against this type of turtling, let alone stay away and avoid taking nearly unavoidable damage. Other things that made MKD horribly broken were outrageous reach on hitboxes, such as Bo Rai Cho's Staff stance, and the fact that nearly every character has an EASY infinite. The knock-down/plant system was also horribly broken, and the amount of damage you could dish out to a grounded opponent from a mere plant lead to be catastrophic in some cases (Darrius, Shujinko, Bo Rai Cho, etc.).

Renegade, you seem like a cool dude, but trust me, from someone who WAS a loyal and faithful MKD fan (I used to think it was one of the best games ever) who has now seen the light, MKD is nothing more than a waste of time and a fiasco of frustration waiting to happen, and is not even worth playing. YES, it looks fucking awesome, and YES...it CAN be fun, but if you're trying to play that game at a competitive level and get good @ fighting games, MKD is not only uncapable of providing that, but it will also make you lose respect for Midway for them marketing such an unfinished, improperly tested, broken game to it loyal fans....which I happened to waste 60$ on.

When it comes down to it, it presents the same situation as MKDCU, leading to the same ol' questions MK has provoked for decades "How could they put something like this on ethe market and sell it to people w/out realizing how terrible it is?" Surely some of the things they included COULD NOT have gone un-noticed. Flash's reset infinite was no "accident"....Superman's Ground Pound infinite was no "mistake due to improper testing"....Midway places infinites in it's games to keep the replay value high. If there are infinites, that will mean a.) people will keep playing it to learn the infinites and b.) people will play it once they learn the infinites cuz it offer a weak and easy way of constantly winning and "rights to brag"

Is that REALLY the type of game we want to support and ALLOW them to believe this is the type of garbage we really enjoy playing??? i certainly hope not.