What's new

Strategy How to Defend and Reads Throws in Mortal Kombat X

omooba

fear the moobs
am i the only one who thinks this guide is hilarious. It's a tutorial on how to make a read lmao. good shit though good shit

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
am i the only one who thinks this guide is hilarious. It's a tutorial on how to make a read lmao. good shit though good shit
well a lot of people dont really know how to make a good read or what even goes into making a good read. So i dont exactly know how a video trying to help people is hilarious.

omooba

fear the moobs
well a lot of people dont really know how to make a good read or what even goes into making a good read. So i dont exactly know how a video trying to help people is hilarious.
lmao this just keeps getting funnier(maybe just for me). i get what you mean and the video is helpful but it still comes down to teaching people how to guess lol it's hilarious

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I think it's because reads are usually seen as something "you just get a feel for"....
In other words, it's seen as something you kan't really teach.
In some ways I kan agree with that, but as you mentioned in the video, there are some kommon patterns.. Like throwing to klose off the match. This is similar to going for lows in 3D games to end a match.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
lmao this just keeps getting funnier(maybe just for me). i get what you mean and the video is helpful but it still comes down to teaching people how to guess lol it's hilarious
I wouldn't kall throw teching a guess.. You put yourself into "anticipation" mode when you make the read, and THEN react... A lot of the skill in fighting games is learning how to switch between what you are anticipating depending on the situation.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
He's not teaching how, but when to make an informed decision based on the dynamics of a situation that lesser skilled or experienced players may not be aware of. Really has very little to do with guessing forward or back throw.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Well that's not just an mk thing why every fighting game I've played has throw reads. SF, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter, injustice. It's all reads,hell SF has a super tight tech window in which you HAVE to read. So I think posts like this are important

Raiderhorn

White Lotus
"Yo guys what's up Shujinkydink here with another video to entertain or assist you in becoming a better Mortal Kombat player, and this video is all aboot..."

One of my favourite intros ever. The aboot gets me every time aha good video Dink

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
When people say it's just a "guess" they're failing to mention that it's specifically an educated guess. You take information from your opponent and use that to predict the next move in the pattern. If they're predictable, then the read will pay off. Else you get blown up.

FYI, the information doesn't just have to be from one player in one set (like you notice he does 1~throw a lot). I read throws of Kung Laos based on experience with other Lao's. If I see a guy who can hit me with an optimal combo and AA me, I know that he knows how to play... If he knows how to play then he most likely knows about Kung Lao's throw game. And I can sometimes make a read on the first throw he tries because of a mixture of anticipation, reaction and hope lol. If however the Lao player holds upforward, doesn't AA me and won't block until I hit him with 4 d1's in a row, chances are he won't stagger throw me. Maybe by accident as he pushes every button on his controller, haha.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

They're getting taught something. How is that funny in any way?

If someone can help teach you how to better read your opponent and notice habits, it's entirely beneficial. Nothing funny at all, really.

omooba

fear the moobs
first of all there's no read that isn't also a guess. the point where it stops being a guess is where it stops being a read.
secondly i'm not trying to take away from the fact that this is something you should learn at some point. most people learn it through grinding but yeah the tutorial is very useful.
lastly if i have to explain why it's funny then it's not funny for you(like i said in first post) but being taught to guess is frieking hilarious