What's new

How to deal with the Kung Lao roll

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Hi guys.

In almost every streamed match I have seen in the last 3 months in which Kung Lao is involved, no one has punished Kung Lao for advancing after the roll on block.

The Roll on block is not supposed to be advanced from as it's -4 on block and does not have enough advantage for anything, especially a throw...the only way Kung Lao can attack you first after a roll on block is if you freeze up and panic, or he chains a spin in directly afterwards, but that will only work if you mash pokes, but again, you shouldn't be mashing pokes anytime an opponent is negative, END RESULT:

Stop poking or blocking when the roll is blocked because KL is -4. Go for full combo block strings that are mid hitting, and have 11 frames or quicker start up, as KL's :bp is 7 frames.

THE ROLL ON HIT, is the only time you should be forced to second guess yourself, as you will be at 0 frames and right in Kung Lao's face.

KL's :bp is 7 frames and beats out any full combo attempt from any opponent that isn't Sektor or Sonya and Reptile. ( exception of armoured moves & :x )

However, his :bp is special mid and will wiff a crouch from close range, which means you can uppercut and poke KL out of any attack he decides to do, :d:fk, :d:fp, :bp, :fp...

Smart KL players will go for a full block string with :bp:fp on a hit roll, so they force you to poke, and when your pattern of poking becomes obvious, they will start to block, and counter your poke.

END RESULT:
You are forced to guess when the roll hits, between poking KL out of his advance, or baiting the bait when it comes to your poke.

But, please, don't let Kung Lao players run riot on you for a blocked roll, its not their advantage, they have to spin to avoid a full combo block string.

Crathen

Death is my business
Another thing to be aware is that the cancel advantage of f3 is +13 on block +14 on hit so you can actually punish ( with characters with 7 frames or less combo starters or with 7 frames uppercuts ) Kl for trying to do things like f3xxlowhat ( 21 startup frames = 8 frames gap on block 7 on hit ) or f3xxtele ( 25 startup frames so 12 frames gap on block 11 on hit ) , other than this i think you've explained it perfectly.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
lol... some characters can't do shit even on block except poke
-4 is nothing for KL.
Spin is 6 frames... so even on block that makes it 10 frames if he DELAYS it. That is where the fear lies for me, as I have a JUST FRAME window to not get blown up.
I understand what you're saying, but you also have to understand that 10 frame launcher is fucking awesome by itself.

BTW... this roll shit is silly online. ;)

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
He has a launcher that is 6 frames and will win in any trade, regardless of player 1 advantage. Mashing a poke seems safer, unless you can just-frame your punish.

You have to assume he will spin to punish most punishes. And if he does, most players will want to punish the spin, rather than be caught in a combo.

Unless this is a pre-EVO troll, in which case I salute you.

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
you think your better than all the other kl's cause you know stuff.

look at you teaching people just cause you think your better than them

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
^

Most characters don't have a 6 frame blockstring, asshole.

He can't punish a poke on -4.

That's true, but with Kitana, 2 is her fastest Starter, and 21 is -3, and 212 is -5 on block.
Would that not put me in the same situation I just put Kung Lao in. He can check me with a string that leaves him neutral on block, while I can only check him with a string that leaves me -3 or -5.

Would my best bet be to grab him?
Would 21 cutter jail him, or does he have enough time to block low?

Somberness

Lights
You can throw him out of spin?
I feel like Somberness will come in here and say no.
Well, I have to now. :rolleyes:
Not if each characters' hurtbox are touching.
That's true, but with Kitana, 2 is her fastest Starter, and 21 is -3, and 212 is -5 on block.
Would that not put me in the same situation I just put Kung Lao in. He can check me with a string that leaves him neutral on block, while I can only check him with a string that leaves me -3 or -5.

Would my best bet be to grab him?
Would 21 cutter jail him, or does he have enough time to block low?
He could duck before, so no. It should still hit while up close though. 2,1 from Kitana leads to a lot more damage than his 2,1 or spin, I'd say go for it occasionally.

STB CharlieMurphy, spin.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Well, I have to now. :rolleyes:
Not if each characters' hurtbox are touching.

He could duck before, so no. It should still hit while up close though. 2,1 from Kitana leads to a lot more damage than his 2,1 or spin, I'd say go for it occasionally.
In this scenario.... where Kung Lao is -4. If I tried to grab and he spun ... who would win?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
If he`s -4, and spin is 6, that gives 10 frames to throw. And throws are 10 frames right? At least it is for some characters. Maybe 12 for others. I don`t see the throw being guaranteed at all after a blocked roll.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Question, as kenshi with an 8 frame SC, can that interrupt a low hat cancelled off a blocked roll without armor? Or even with?

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
If he`s -4, and spin is 6, that gives 10 frames to throw. And throws are 10 frames right? At least it is for some characters. Maybe 12 for others. I don`t see the throw being guaranteed at all after a blocked roll.
You would have to Dial in the spin before the spin can even stop.

If you do the roll, and then spin on frame 0, when you recover, then yes you will beat a throw...if it happens.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Kung Lao players will never spin unless it's dialled in.

There is absolutely no reason ever, for a Kung Lao player to roll and then try a spin on block.
ummm I can think of plenty. You can set up the delayed spin...
To say there is NO reason is silly. He's only negative 4, with the only move in the game that doesn't lose.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Roll spin has its uses if u see a pattern of being poked and you have breaker surely?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

The duration of the roll can be interrupted by normals faster than 18f. The roll is also not in a crouching state, so it gets hit by high attacks.