What's new

Question How to deal with Superman?

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
It seems almost impossible to deal with Superman who is plus at everything and is able to continue pressuring you non stop (wakeup attacks don't help at all), Superman also has that idiotic air heat vision that sets you back almost full screen. Any ideas what I should do?

Awake

Noob
I find this matchup is a little difficult for grundy. You have to read his string patterns and blow them up with armor, but respect his trait which breaks armor.

A good way to deal with heat vision is swamp hands. If superman does a grounded laser, mb hands will allow you to take the damage, and dash in for a full combo. As for air heat vision, if he does it at max height and you block it, do a reversal swamp hands and superman is forced to block, or eat the swamp hands allowing you to advance. If the air heat vision is executed close to the ground, i would recommend WCC through it, a well timed jump, or block it and dash in.

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Some grundy things that will help in this special situation, but are good to know for every fight with grundy...

Get the first hit in. If you know your opponent its much easier to read the opening move, but for grundy aWCC is a good start because if he attacks to start you'll walk right through it(still taking damage but not giving the opponent first hit and a free bar of meter, be able to start a string/block/aa/w.e, but most importantly get in range for some trait games. Committing to opening with walking corpse is kinda predictable and a neutral jump is all thats needed to get you first hitted and knocked across screen. Starting with standing 2/F12 is also viable( the first canceling into the good ole WC and the second into the more important pain chain on block and dead air on hit), but tbh im not sure of supermans pre game options so I dont know what his best opening options are. I cannot stress enough how important an immediate free bar or meter is with grundy.

Now once you have that first hit do not let up. All of grundys opponents should be kept in WC range throughout the game, superman especially. Keeping this close range pressure allows you to read how they will react as the match goes on. The superman in our circle likes to either air heat vision if you are outside sweep range when he wakes up or backdash block footsie setup if you are inside. Once things like this are found out in a match you can plan accordingly( most of these player trends show quickly, but by forcing knockdowns and putting them in the same scenario you will see them more quickly. Pressure is gold with grundy)to anti air on wake up, or dash F12xxdead air that nigga like grundy should.

Meter advantage and when to use it. Against superman any time you see him wind up for a heat ray/vision you should be ready to take the chip and meter your grundy hands for a free combo, and thus free pressure in your favor. It is imperative you know the limits and most viable options at each distance with your swamp hands. Lets say you are full screen and you see him wind up that red ray so you meter burn your hands for that free combo that was being talked about. At full screen with two bars of meter I would meter my grundy hands double dash in(putting me a dash outside pain chain range)then meter burn clever spin to cover as I go in to pressure. If it hits light them up with a dead air cancel. If they block light them up with a pain chain cancel. The main thing here is that a metered grundy hands at full screen will only buy you enough time to get in clever spin range(you are in walking corpse range and could let it fly/cancel if you think they'll go aggressive, but if they back or neutral jump you are walking into a set up. the cleaver will catch any jumpers and is just all around safer in that situation to me. Another good place to think about when to use your meter is in the case of the WC. Using meter on that puts the opponent at a distance that is much easier to pressure Especially if that wasnt your last bar. Another reeeeeally important place you can catch someone with meter is during footsies. Grundy footsie game is super weak imo, but it make up for it by being able to d1xx4MB. If you get into a low scuffle with someone know that d2 will get stuffed all the time so waiting for that d2xx4 may do you more harm than good, but with the surprising range of the pain chain you can safely play that footsie game with d1 then once they are comfortable they can beat your slow frames with basically any of their downward moves you meter through that shit and blow them up for a free 31%. Superman wont play footsies while you have meter anymore(or he will continually do that and you get to end the game quick =]). Again there are many options here in this area, but the gist is to know when to take advantage of your meter and the options you have after you do so.

Opening chain, and the chains after. One thing you must remember is that WC still does take damage. Grundy walks around and gives no fucks, but unless you have your health chain on it will hurt to walk through those walking guns and deathstroke shots. I always open with the health chain for that reason. After the health chain gets off depending on how the match has gone in-between the first and second chain decides what it will be. Generally if I have 20% more health than them then its power chain time. This chain leaves you in a much better position to follow up off the knockdown and increases the damage output. I like that his defense chain gives him a huuuuuge chip damage reduction on block, but it also puts the opponent full screen away and that exactly where the ppl who im using it for want to be. All in all not very viable for the type of constant pressure grundy should be giving out.

Know that superman. Its not just being able to block supermans strings, you need to know where he is at a frame disadvantage so you can slip a d2xx4 into his combos and get free damage and advantage in position. Dont let a blocked scoop go unpunished. If you have the meter dont be afraid to let the d1xx4MB rip, its safer than the d2 cancel.

Dont be afraid to use meter. Grundy's special is straight ass man, dont save meter for that. If anything clash with that meter(either to give yourself life or to take super mans super away from him for a bit), but know that meter grundy hands is the best tool that grundy has. It completely shuts down wake up attacks if timed right(I know it can catch a few people on wake up jump, will have to see if catwoman can pary on sight because of the whole 1 frame thing)nd nets a free 50% when it lands.

NEVER DROP YOUR PAIN CHAINS. Before you call yourself a grundy main just go into practice and do all the motions for your health chain and power chain ten times in a row perfect. Dropping chains in a match is the most embarrassing shit ever and WILL LOSE YOU MATCHES.

Lastly grundy D(lol). Grundy defense is surprisingly strong, and thats good because he is slow as fuck and you will sometimes be forced to just guard that shit well. Ive been in situations where the best option was literally to back up into the corner and say come at me. Always be ready to aa the cross ups(the opponent should never even dream of jumping in on you, grab them and tell em to stop that shit. It comes out so fast that sometimes you can do the full WC while they neutral jump over you and spam the aa grab and it will still catch them).Remember that grundy defense is also offense so as soon as you find a window and have a bar of meter interrupt with a d1xx4MB. NOTE:if you dont feel solid with the footsie cancel you can always WC/C out of block and most people dont have options that allow them to break the armor reliably(though anyone can meter a F3/B3 to stuff ya if you commit to the grab. Some character only need to B3 at teh right time to dodge it.

I cant really think of anythin else. Really grundy treats all opponents the same way, and that way is to get a health chain early and bully the shit out of them with your health advantage. Force them into blocking, which creates free pain chain. Making the opponent think they cant do anything by hitting every AA and turning all their strings or projectiles into free damage for you.

hoooly shit i just deleted all of that, thank god for ctl+z