What's new

Guide - Summoner How to deal with Summoner Quan Chi

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I thought everyone was just going to cry for nerfs and play the waiting game...

Actual answers? Did I somehow go back in time?

AeWhole

Noob
I am by no means a great player or Quan player. Quan is all I have really played and I feel like I only play well with his keep away game.

Keeping that in mind I don't think anyone's mentioned his awkward DB1 Close Mid Far spacing. There is a place that you can footsie dance that is outside of close DB1 B1 and B2(Well at least on reaction you can block it.) all while keeping inside mid DB1. Dancing there too long will make a Quan froggy or it at least makes me want to move either forward or back to try and play keep away depending on the situation. Quan also moves fairly slow unless he is dashing. Getting a Quan to move anywhere should be advantageous to the opponent I would think. Playing a long patience game against Quan's incredible offense is really the best way to bully a Quan Chi onto the ground then relentlessly do 50/50 knockdowns or just watch how Quan tries to get up like others have said. Also this is without a respect bat out.

Does anyone agree? Am I just a nub?

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I am by no means a great player or Quan player. Quan is all I have really played and I feel like I only play well with his keep away game.

Keeping that in mind I don't think anyone's mentioned his awkward DB1 Close Mid Far spacing. There is a place that you can footsie dance that is outside of close DB1 B1 and B2(Well at least on reaction you can block it.) all while keeping inside mid DB1. Dancing there too long will make a Quan froggy or it at least makes me want to move either forward or back to try and play keep away depending on the situation. Quan also moves fairly slow unless he is dashing. Getting a Quan to move anywhere should be advantageous to the opponent I would think. Playing a long patience game against Quan's incredible offense is really the best way to bully a Quan Chi onto the ground then relentlessly do 50/50 knockdowns or just watch how Quan tries to get up like others have said. Also this is without a respect bat out.

Does anyone agree? Am I just a nub?
Anyone who plays Quan is alright by me.

Watching Quan battle is pure hype to me.

Shame you're not on X1.

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
i havent fought against a good summoner quan yet but how does impostor shinnok do vs him?

on paper, it sounds like impostor shinnok counter picks him. he has teleport against quans zoning, you steal his trance and can vortex him for days and i dont think quan can escape mb hell sparks pressure.
You can react to Tricky Portal and NJP Shinnok every time but yeah it's definitely in Impostor's favor just for the trance alone.

You can react to Tricky Portal and NJP Shinnok every time but yeah it's definitely in Impostor's favor just for the trance alone.
Well if impostor Shinnok abuses it, then yeah it's very punishable.

But if Quan is playing the reaction game, he's not zoning as heavily as he would like

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So I wanted to talk a little more about fighting Quan Chi. A lot of people I've played have some trouble dealing with the armor circle.

Here are some ways I've found that you can deal with it:

1) Bait a move from the player in the circle. Specifically you want to bait him into whiffing something like B2 that has some whiff recovery. Once he does that, you can run in and use a fast jab string. Since he will be in recovery fron whiffing, the jab will break the armor and full combo him.

2) This certainly isn't the easiest of things to do, but I find instant-air projectiles help. Particularly stuff like MB instant air Cassie guns, Kitana fans, etc. It's fairly self explanatory but the idea is that doing it instant air can help you avoid grounded Rune zoning while breaking armor.

3) A downpoke canceled into an armored move. The basic idea is that the d1 soaks the armor while your armored move absorbs my attack. Stuff like D1 into MB Lao Spin, or d1 into MB Nutpunch, etc.

I hope this helps.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I know the thread is about Summoner but I figured more people would see the info I posted here.