What's new

How to deal with Smoke?

I've been playing a lot of people online and the Smoke match up seems to be the hardest for me to deal with. How can Sektor deal with Smoke's ability to shake Sektor's rockets or smoke screen through his flame? I have been trying hard to incorporate a combo game but have been having trouble dealing with Smoke's insanely quick teleport.

Now I'm not saying I have trouble with every Smoke but it seems like it's a 7/3 match up if the Smoke knows what he is doing against Sektor.

Any tips?

hardwire

Noob
I've been playing a lot of people online and the Smoke match up seems to be the hardest for me to deal with. How can Sektor deal with Smoke's ability to shake Sektor's rockets or smoke screen through his flame? I have been trying hard to incorporate a combo game but have been having trouble dealing with Smoke's insanely quick teleport.

Now I'm not saying I have trouble with every Smoke but it seems like it's a 7/3 match up if the Smoke knows what he is doing against Sektor.

Any tips?
dash block

if they tp over your head use your flame or upercut

do not use your teleport unless its in a combo

last thing just forget your have rockets smoke will eat you alive

my main is smoke but i dont touch sektor i just know whats worked well against me

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
yea, rockets are more or less useless against Smoke, so you should just avoid using them. Also, the flamethrower should pull Smoke out of the smoke drift (unless it's :en). Otherwise you have to play very cautiously. Smoke will dominate careless attackers easily. Try and bait TP then punish. Don't jump anywhere onscreen unless it's a safe jump; smoke can punish a jump on reaction with TP. None of Smoke's strings have a low hit but most have overheads so never crouch block them. But, you have to be careful of his sweep which is the fastest in the game.

Hope this helps

Robotic

Gentleman.

Any tips?
I main Sektor and can say that Sir Smoke-a-lot is my toughest match-up to date. His shake effectively shuts down your zoning ability (Smoke IS an anti-zoner, so he is doing what he is meant to do here). No missiles make it tougher to come by meter. I agree with hardwire that this will be a dance off: you dash block and smoke will shake his moneymaker. Smoke will try to capture you in his smoke bomb once he's figured out you are not launching missiles, so dash block is key. A Smoke player MIGHT get impatient with you and teleport, so block is your most useful button in this matchup. In order to come out on top here, you must punish blocked teleports with full combos and NOT bite when Smoke is knocked down - a smoke player WILL wake up teleport your ass if you're caught slippin.

Anywho, Smoke has more opportunities for victory in this matchup than Sektor does, but Sektor can rip him a new one with damaging combos. I don't know if it's 7-3, though I'll hold my judgement on that as the game develops. Gun to my head, I say it's 6-4 Smoke as it stands right now.

A Smoke player MIGHT get impatient with you and teleport, so block is your most useful button in this matchup. In order to come out on top here, you must punish blocked teleports with full combos and NOT bite when Smoke is knocked down - a smoke player WILL wake up teleport your ass if you're caught slippin.
Do you know what is an unsafe string against Smoke? I usually have to wait for a smoke to get impatient like you said but if Smoke plays it solid I have no idea how I can beat him, I try dash blocking in and doing Sektor's b34 string or 12b1 string but the majority either smoke drifts back or sweeps me [MAD][/MAD].

I don't know, I face them online all the damn time but I know no one that mains Smoke and the few players that I do practice against swear against him to even let me try some punishes.

hardwire

Noob
Do you know what is an unsafe string against Smoke? I usually have to wait for a smoke to get impatient like you said but if Smoke plays it solid I have no idea how I can beat him, I try dash blocking in and doing Sektor's b34 string or 12b1 string but the majority either smoke drifts back or sweeps me [MAD][/MAD].

I don't know, I face them online all the damn time but I know no one that mains Smoke and the few players that I do practice against swear against him to even let me try some punishes.
you know ive seen a nice combo with sektor that was not that damaging but i could not fight back if i blocked it

it was a simple punch combo that ended in flame the flames pushed me just out of strike range but im not sure if i could have tp'ed it.

like i said i dont play sektor so im sorry i dont know what the combo was but maybe you will get the idea
any way hope this helps

ryublaze

Noob
Sektor's Teleport Uppercut is probably his only move that can stop Smoke's EX shake parry.

If you're used to firing Up Missiles (back/in front) you can possibly bait Smoke into using his parry without actually having to hit him. Then you can follow up with a TU.

If you block Smoke's teleport, F4, 4/3, TU is an easy combo starter to pull off.

Up close, B1 will be faster than Smoke's smoke bomb and can possibly knock Smoke out of his teleport before he can do it.

Altsa

Dont count on getting full combos blocking Smokes teleport, no competent Smoke uses this randomly. Against Sektor I use it only to punish wiffed flamethrower or rarely random jumping and once I get a knockdown, I wiff it for pressure. Smoke has 2 great overheads so be careful when blocking low but remember his sweep is one of the best in the game. Smoke actually has relatively easy time since Sektor´s overhead combo starter is hard to use so blocking low makes it hard for Sektor to get a combo. Smoke also builds alot of meter in this matchup so more often than not he has a breaker anyways.

devil_puncher

Sektor Supreme
I have no trouble with smoke players, I usually just pressure them and block most of the time. I also try to predict when they are about to TP. Smoke's shake has never been a problem for me either because i usually just wait till they get out of the shake and apply pressure, plus I really don't use missles on them either.

Robotic

Gentleman.
I have no trouble with smoke players, I usually just pressure them and block most of the time. I also try to predict when they are about to TP. Smoke's shake has never been a problem for me either because i usually just wait till they get out of the shake and apply pressure, plus I really don't use missles on them either.
I'm afraid you're playing some garbage ass smokes. No disrespect, though, thanks for the input. A competent Steamy won't shake in anticipation, he'll shake on reaction. As for predicting a TP, A good steamy won't toss these around unless you have placed yourself in frame disadvantage and he knows it's going to hit.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Smoke is one of my mains. Him and reptile. Overall this is a difficult match up for sector. Really the best thing to do is just dash block and punish. I know that sounds to simple, but it is what you have to do. One time a smart sector player was pressuring me into the corner and everytime I went to smoke forward out of the corner he would EX teleport punch me for big damage. So I had to adjust and save my meter for the EX smoke forward. This may be you best stragety. Just be careful because a smart smoke player will catch on to this and adjust, like me, hehe.