What's new

Question How to deal with jips as Smoke?

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Constantly are people dash blocking, then jip-ing me. Ill throw a smokebomb, they jump it. They get in, d3, then cross me over.

How to solve?

jump back kick xx air throw. or you can whiff a sweep, it'll lower smoke's hit box enough to avoid most jips.

even if you get hit with the jip right as you jump, it's still way better to eat that than to eat either a full combo or a free pressure string's chip.

chucking bombs is pretty unsafe in most situations, cut down on it and when you do throw one it will be less predictable and therefore less punishable.

teleport. put in inverted once you see them attempting the crossup. works always and will leave you in attacking position if followed by a whiffed teleport.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
You have alot of options really, other than just smoking backwards or forwards, which timed wrong will just get you hit you can do a number of things.
Instant air Telepunch is a good bet but doesnt leave you on a great position.
F4 whiffs under people and leaves you in a nice position, as does 3d12.
You can EX-Shake to end jip pressure or make them think twice about trying it again.
B4 whiffs under when timed correctly and in some instances even hits under the JIP and floors them, But if they do a deep enough kick it will probably hit you, and if they hate playing mileena enough to have trained for the occasion they may have a combo for you.

I try my luck alot against jump ins, if you jump towards or backwards *Note that NJP will probably fail you here* and then catch them in a smoke bomb before they hit the floor (im not 100% how blockable/reliable this is, but i have managed to catch people from air to air punches) then you get a combo, but you have to be FAST on the air punch.

And the failsafe option is to just air throw because it has better priority than a punch from my experiences.

Smokes air game isnt best, but its sturdy enough to teach people after a couple of times that jumping in at you isnt a good plan. Just try different tactics and you will find out for your self the success rates of each!

I try my luck alot against jump ins, if you jump towards or backwards *Note that NJP will probably fail you here* and then catch them in a smoke bomb before they hit the floor (im not 100% how blockable/reliable this is, but i have managed to catch people from air to air punches) then you get a combo, but you have to be FAST on the air punch.
i think instant air to air punch followed by dash d1 into smoke bomb is the best option. not that hard and very reliable.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
i think instant air to air punch followed by dash d1 into smoke bomb is the best option. not that hard and very reliable.
I fail on the dash D1, if a standing 1 doesnt come out then usually a shake will, negative edge hurts some things, like a dash in b3 usually just smokes away meaning that normal is useless in most serious situations ~ but i can usually catch people with the smoke bomb from a air to air punch. Can even do this mid combo some times if you feel really flash, it might even produce some nice combo potential but i havent really tried it. I was messing with 3d12, njp, forward instant jump punch~D1~Smoke bomb, f4~EX Smokebomb. This is hard to pull off, probably ends up with less damage than bnb combo, but its pretty tech when you can land it, just like most of smokes combos theres an easy way and then theres a beautiful way :D

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
if you are getting crossed a lot, NJP is your best friend, and thats Neutral Jump punch.
works wonders for me :)

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
if you are getting crossed a lot, NJP is your best friend, and thats Neutral Jump punch.
works wonders for me :)
This is very hard to pull off because with smoke the only time you really should be getting crossed up is in close range poking pressure, and by the time the pokes finished whiffing the cross up is pretty much in your face and jumping straight up doesnt get you out. If you have better experience with this like timing and stuff(because i can only imagine this works when you telegraph the cross up) then please share because this is my biggest weakness and i would love to find an easy way to stop it :D

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I happen to be a Smoke player, so I believe I've got some answers.

Unless you've got meter ready to enhance Smoke's Shake so as to discourage the jump-in punches, I think he doesn't have a whole lot of adequate tools against that. Your best bet is to be able to see the tactic coming and then react immediately before they do.

The bounce (neutral jump punch) comes to mind, obviously. But you gotta be precise with the timing. If you input the punch too late, expect to be knocked down from the sky. They'll usually try to cross you up after you use Phase Towards or Phase Away, so try following that with a bounce to surprise them.

You can burn meter to enhance a Smoke Bomb, as it has an extended range from bottom to up and will affect the target if he/she is in the air right above where the bomb hits.

You could jumpkick and then follow it up with a Teleport Punch or an air throw. Or you can simply do the Teleport Punch while on the ground - I think their jump-in punch will either whiff or simply knock you out of the attack...either way you'll be spared from a combo.

Lastly...this is based on something SHORYUKEN educated me about in regards to Smoke, but I think you can use his standing 1 as a handy anti-air and then juggle the target from there. But in comparison to some other characters like Nightwolf, Sonya, Johnny Cage, and so on, his normals aren't very fast, so I do not encourage this option.

You're better off playing the part of a counter-zoner and should only chance the rushdown once you've knocked the target to the ground. Soon as they regain their footing, get the fuck out of there and wait patiently for the next opportunity to strike. In my opinion Smoke doesn't have a very good pressure game...aside from his low pokes, of course.

One other thing: do not, under any circumstances, toss Smoke Bombs repeatedly and randomly. It's very unsafe and leaves Smoke open for a good amount of time if his bombs whiff. Unless you enhance the bombs, they can just jump them and wear you down. I recommend saving them for when the target just stands there blocking or if they whiff a special and are vulnerable long enough to be punished. Randomly tossing out Smoke Bombs is just asking to lose.

Hope this helps.

This is very hard to pull off because with smoke the only time you really should be getting crossed up is in close range poking pressure, and by the time the pokes finished whiffing the cross up is pretty much in your face and jumping straight up doesnt get you out. If you have better experience with this like timing and stuff(because i can only imagine this works when you telegraph the cross up) then please share because this is my biggest weakness and i would love to find an easy way to stop it :D
as i said before, teleport. commands have to be inverted if you start it late. it doesnt whiff like the above poster said but hits 2 times and allows further pressure if followed by a whiffed teleport against the grounded opponent. only in rare cases you will get knocked out of the tp.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
His Standing 1 is pretty unreliable for anti air at the range you will be getting crossed at, if they jump at you from range then yeah its not impossible to just 1 them into combos, but from crossups this is HARD!.

From air to air punches you can actually catch them in a smoke bomb before they hit the floor, (EX Smoke bomb is easier and avoids bullshit if you need it) and convert to combo/resets, and if they catch you in the air first the damage you take is probably less than you would if they got in at you but as you stated already, smokes best option for anything is to just back the fuck down and get out as soon as you think shits taking a turn for the worst. Gamble it maybe once or twice with pressure strings over their wakeups but if it doesnt work then just retreat and recoup for the next assault!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
His Standing 1 is pretty unreliable for anti air at the range you will be getting crossed at, if they jump at you from range then yeah its not impossible to just 1 them into combos, but from crossups this is HARD!.

From air to air punches you can actually catch them in a smoke bomb before they hit the floor, (EX Smoke bomb is easier and avoids bullshit if you need it) and convert to combo/resets, and if they catch you in the air first the damage you take is probably less than you would if they got in at you but as you stated already, smokes best option for anything is to just back the fuck down and get out as soon as you think shits taking a turn for the worst. Gamble it maybe once or twice with pressure strings over their wakeups but if it doesnt work then just retreat and recoup for the next assault!
Read my post again. I did say that I did not encourage the option of Smoke's standing 1 as an anti-air. I merely suggested it as a possibility, one that even I wouldn't leave to chance. You'd be surprised at who will fall for the unlikely tactics, though. It adds to the unpredictable element of the game.

Actually that reminds me: if your opponent tries to jump away after you end one of your pressure strings, you can thwart their escape with a d1 and potentially get 'em in a Smoke Bomb after another d1. Again this is something SHORYUKEN showed me. Takes a lot of practice to get down.

However, I did neglect to mention that you could potentially catch 'em with a Smoke Bomb if you knock the target out of the sky with a jump-in punch, so thanks for adding that in.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Read my post again. I did say that I did not encourage the option of Smoke's standing 1 as an anti-air. I merely suggested it as a possibility, one that even I wouldn't leave to chance.
I think i came across wrong then, i agree with what you said, it works just not on a level that i would employ like say JC would because im not confident that i can do it consistantly even after practicing smokes AA's.

Again the D1 stuff is brilliant, everybody should be using d1 to trap after strings whenever you can, just because its the main form of pressure that smoke can use up close. Its a really leanient poke aswell , its range is just less than it could be but it still does its job for teaching people not to push buttons during your pressure unless they mean serious business!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I think i came across wrong then, i agree with what you said, it works just not on a level that i would employ like say JC would because im not confident that i can do it consistantly even after practicing smokes AA's.

Again the D1 stuff is brilliant, everybody should be using d1 to trap after strings whenever you can, just because its the main form of pressure that smoke can use up close. Its a really leanient poke aswell , its range is just less than it could be but it still does its job for teaching people not to push buttons during your pressure unless they mean serious business!
Definitely. I'd also recommend Smoke's d3. I find it really helps him keep the pressure going. Once you start dashing and hitting d3 repetitively, you'll be surprised by your control.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
D1 dash D3, D4 is the poke string of choice , you can follow that up with more of the same string or wait for a reaction because people usually jump out or try something risky to escape here, leading to profit for smoke. another confusing thing i like to do is D1, D1, when it whiffs you wait a split second and then follow up with D4 as the second D1 goes out of range by the slightest which usually baits a counter. i sometimes mix this up even further by doing the poke string and then drifting back to bait a reaction. and in the corner you can smoke towards, and the smoke animation will go through them but smoke actually wont, so you kind of fake crossup them. This is fun from full screen because the same thing happens when you smoke back into the screen edge. Using smoke bomb pressure that they block, then either smoke back or invisibility usually forces them to let go of block or do something stupid because well everybody is human and smoke is fucking annoying when pounding you will full screen smoke bombs. I use this mostly against people with full screen punishers like JC red kick as you can just follow up with ex shake. Which then brings me onto shake cancels at full screen, you can shake>dash out to cause a reaction.
Basicly how i play my smoke at range is to just make the opponent do anything that isnt block, which with all the tools really isnt much of a challenge!

Jump in?

Back up out of jumping distance so they wiff their punch and then you get a free B2 3 into smoke bomb for a combo. Its hard to time, and I think you have to be baiting it out, but if you do it once or twice you wont have to worry about a jump in anymore.

Doesn't work for crossups, I don't think. I'm not a smoke player, a smoke player did this to me.