What's new

how to beat raiden spam online lol?

Ok I know pros can defeat raiden and use him effectively but so far he is the most difficult spammer to fight online for me.

Offline I already find him difficult but it is so difficult online. I am constantly searching for solutions to fight this but I can't find any.

I also refuse to resort to spamming cheapness myself in order to beat this because I know there is a way I just have to find it.

I play reptile, kabal, sub zero mainly and have quite a tough time. The only way I can land hits are by reading my opponent but that is still difficult because when you block raiden fly he bounces back a little to far sometimes and no punish can be done.

What can I do?

babalook

Noob
i like how raiden's teleport is like +45 online while he is supposed to be at disadvantage, i personally respond to raiden users with raiden and spam up a storm.

It's funny how you can mostly get away with teleport mix ups to beat raiden spammers or just fly yourself but I don't want to main as raiden just to deal with these guys. There's gotta be something to punish play like this.

I played one guy, he was so fast on his shit I couldn't win. Somehow, tried Sheeva and he was unable to block any d,u stomps and I beat him with just that. That's how bad some of these guys are yet win so easily with the online lag spam :(

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I played a Raiden who did nothing but his superman, teleports with sweeps and the 3 string which has a mid in it which he followed by another superman. These people learn how to do 3 things and can win due to the atrocious lag. This is why I pay no notice to the win/lose ratio because at the time being, online is a joke.

tehm

Noob
I'd try going with the same way I beat him offline...

Zone with Kano.

He can't trade projectiles or he'll lose. When he teleports the knife throw doesn't auto-correct so it will come out as an upball and auto-counter it. The only good way for him to get in is with EX meter, and there are about a million ways for you to get out and reset it with or without meter.

On Oki versus raiden you want to be about a 1/4 screen away and neutral jump. If you see him do the "stand up" he's gonna be blocking so get ready to dash in with a throw. If you see him do anything else airball.

But then again, I'm a Kano player. I'm sure there are other strategies with other characters. Perhaps you should ask in those specific characters forums?

<.<

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I'd try going with the same way I beat him offline...

Zone with Kano.

He can't trade projectiles or he'll lose. When he teleports the knife throw doesn't auto-correct so it will come out as an upball and auto-counter it. The only good way for him to get in is with EX meter, and there are about a million ways for you to get out and reset it with or without meter.

On Oki versus raiden you want to be about a 1/4 screen away and neutral jump. If you see him do the "stand up" he's gonna be blocking so get ready to dash in with a throw. If you see him do anything else airball.

But then again, I'm a Kano player. I'm sure there are other strategies with other characters. Perhaps you should ask in those specific characters forums?

<.<
Yeah, I fought Raiden with Kano online as well. The knives do stop his throw, but with the lag the upball won't always work when they teleport, it's very 50/50 I've found. Offline it seems to work constantly, though.

R2FI

Noob
i main raiden and finally got my first online matches yesterday.
found another raiden and couldn't believe what i was seeing - fly all day, teleports into sweeps... and that's it! no wall combos (or combos at all), no sense of spacing, just... electric fly. he even used it as wakeup attack when i am 2/3 screen away, blocking.

just block more often, close the gap with dash block, and punish every fly with your most damaging combo (or the most consistent, due to lag). if you can't punish it in time, try other combostarters/launchers and if that doesn't work either, just dash up and start abusing throws.

CYD

Noob
Ermac is a decent answer to Raiden. Any blocked teleport into TKS, combo of choice. zone with tkp. If they begin to teleport, d1 in to TKS...

i do also a lot of games against raiden spammer, including top spammer ANDY_SWARVE.
i counterpic now with kano, 4 me a good choice against raiden, knife is fast, i spam it, when he does teleport, the knife motion come as upball, like the person here said before.
air balls r also useful in this case.
superman on block means 30% combo and blocked superman is of course a free nice xray 41% :)
i also try to bait raiden a lot, and punish.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Ok I know pros can defeat raiden and use him effectively but so far he is the most difficult spammer to fight online for me.

Offline I already find him difficult but it is so difficult online. I am constantly searching for solutions to fight this but I can't find any.

I also refuse to resort to spamming cheapness myself in order to beat this because I know there is a way I just have to find it.

I play reptile, kabal, sub zero mainly and have quite a tough time. The only way I can land hits are by reading my opponent but that is still difficult because when you block raiden fly he bounces back a little to far sometimes and no punish can be done.

What can I do?
First of all you need to remove the mindset that doing anything that the game allows is cheap. If you think spamming is "cheap" and you refuse to do it then you have already set yourself up to lose.

As sub zero why not sit inside of an ice clone and move forward if he teleports.

with reptile and kabal you just need to react faster. they can beat raiden.

VonBouncinSkull

Sküll Crüsher
If they are spamming the same move over and over, it should be easy to figure out how to beat them. I play as Raiden and people have complained about me using EX Electric Fly but I only used it when they spammed projectiles. Maybe you need to just look at how you play...

SZSR

Noob
If they are spamming the same move over and over, it should be easy to figure out how to beat them. I play as Raiden and people have complained about me using EX Electric Fly but I only used it when they spammed projectiles. Maybe you need to just look at how you play...
That's not a fair statement, it isn't so easy to adapt and restrategize with the ever present lag. Maybe some Raiden here should play him to help him.

What can I do?
Stand block

Raiden has no low start combos, but he has 3 mids (pop ups if you duck)
Worst case - you eat some grabs or sweeps (if it gets excessive: anticipate, then break or uppercut)
If you capitalize on all your openings (blocked supermans, that split second when combos are done) you should fair best on the exchange

Spamming lightning bolt
Sub Zero - match with iceball / capitalize on freeze or anticipate teleport
Reptile - match with spit and acid balls / anticipate teleport (close gap with special dash)
Kabal - Close gap, ground saws, enhanced spin, anticipate teleports

Good Luck

doomfarmer

unorthodox
As a Raiden player (and a DAMN good one btw), I come across Raiden spammers all the time (or people that wait for me to pick first, so they can go ahead and pick scorpion, and then when they see me pick Raiden, they back up and pick him as well).

The thing is Raiden spammers are awful (as is ANY player that doesn't understand a lot of the basics, and thinks using the same move over and over will get them a win). All you REALLY have to do is block. EVERY Raiden spammer i've ever seen you can fake out by shaking your character, making them think you are inputting a move, and then just hold block. They will superman you every time. Then BOOM hit them with a full combo.

And if the teleport makes you nervous, watch for it, and then sweep them. Most of these awful Raiden players will teleport and go in for a grab... so all you really have to do is sweep them.

TRY NOT TO GET FRUSTRATED. Take a breath, notice how predictable they are, and win your match.

Diadel

Noob
Stand block

Raiden has no low start combos, but he has 3 mids (pop ups if you duck)
Worst case - you eat some grabs or sweeps (if it gets excessive: anticipate, then break or uppercut)
If you capitalize on all your openings (blocked supermans, that split second when combos are done) you should fair best on the exchange

Spamming lightning bolt
Sub Zero - match with iceball / capitalize on freeze or anticipate teleport
Reptile - match with spit and acid balls / anticipate teleport (close gap with special dash)
Kabal - Close gap, ground saws, enhanced spin, anticipate teleports

Good Luck
i'm a raiden player . i agreee with that guy + upercut and you will beat raiden easy.

VonBouncinSkull

Sküll Crüsher
That's not a fair statement, it isn't so easy to adapt and restrategize with the ever present lag. Maybe some Raiden here should play him to help him.
I only meant it in that patience is something that some players underestimate. It's pretty easy, as has been stated, to bait moves and punish them if somebody is purely spamming. I understand that lag is a problem.. a big problem, but I still stand by my statement that sometimes the people who feel like they are getting spammed need to check how they are playing and use the block button for a change. You shouldn't be mashing combos or specials either. I hope that isn't the case, because like I said Electric Fly will get you every time if somebody knows what they are doing and just trying to combat spam with spam.

I will add tho that I've had problems playing against Smoke. On a missed Electric Fly, he can counter with a smoke bomb into a punishing combo and his teleport has been beating my Raiden's teleport online (basically I only teleport when somebody is mashing combos or spamming projectiles). Maybe that will help you out or not, I don't know. Could just be the people I've been playing online as well.

On another note (maybe should be another thread), if people are playing on PSN from this forum how come there isn't a room.. or is there one that I just don't know about. Anyways, somebody message me on PSN if they want to fight etc..

As a Raiden mainer, these people piss me off. It gives the character a bad name, and just gives more fuel for whiny people I do beat legitimately to justify rage quits and temper tantrums. I don't consider myself an incredible Raiden, but I do try mix ups, BnBs, corner combos etc. I just like the character.

As both someone who plays Raiden a lot, and someone who's fought a lot of these bad ones, the key to winning against raiden spam is to think reactionary. If you manage to knock a Raiden spammer down, anticipate that they'll probably try to electric fly on wakeup, so try to goad it out more by dashing in but just blocking. In most cases they're panicky. In fact I'd say the golden rule is to always expect the Fly, even when they don't need to do it. I mean, its an addictive move even I can admit that I've had to keep myself from just doing it out of anxiety. Its probably your best bet to punish.

Some Raidens, like some guy named ValtielsAngel or something (who rage quits whenever you win), like to throw a lot of projectiles out in a corner to build up meter so they can do the enhanced version rinse repeat, and try to superman you if you move at all. Thats probably the most annoying type, but if you have a teleport or teleport attack of some sort you can probably time it just right so you get over there right when he fires one (though be sure to watch for the enhanced one being sent out.) If its a move that nets you a BnB then great, but if not then it'll just be a long, uphill endeavor.

I really hate to admit this because it annoys even me at times, lol, but anticipating a teleport and jumping backwards puts the teleporting Raiden in a really awkward position and it really throws off their concentration, so jumping overhead mixups are also a really good way to get into a raiden spammers head, or I'd say any Raiden really. That teleport is really, really good but if its just thrown out like candy it can be really harshly punished.

Although in my experience it rarely comes to this with spammier Raidens, when they are in front of you they usually try to kick your shins or sweep you. For all of Raiden's awesomeness, he kind of lacks a strong low hit game
It is basically turtling to an extent yeah, but unfortunately Raiden spam just sort of feeds off of frustration and impatience more so than most, so the best thing to do is to just be patient, and punish with fury. When it comes right down to it, people spamming just teleport, superman, and projectiles are pretty easy to flowchart and punish once you have it figured out you just have to be a little more reserved. If you've got good BnBs and your damage output when you can land it is good you'll usually outdamage their weenie tactics well enough.

If you play Cyrax, who's awesome enough as it is, you have a really sneaky anti-Raiden option at your disposal. If Cyrax does his teleport, for some reasion if Raiden does Electric Fly at the point you teleported, he'll go into his recovery animation after hitting the little "shockwave", as if he hit you...even though you've teleported safely to the other side. That gives you some time to retaliate, and even against Raidens that try to be good I have to say it's a very annoying little quirk he has at his disposal. lol (note: This is against Cyborg Cyrax, because of how he "splits" into little pieces during his port. I don't know if it works the same way against the human alt.)

I hope this is of some help.

DrDogg

Noob
Not playing the game online, but I figured I'd ask here since the training mode is ass.

You can interrupt some (one?) of Raiden's combos on block right? Which combo(s) and at what point can you interrupt? Also, does it need to be an attack with armor?

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
Raiden is by far the biggest pain in the ass for me to fight as Shang. The teleport followed by the same stupid 3 hit combo then Superman spam is highly effective but it got old after the first day. Win or Lose, it just feels like a waste of time against these kind of players.

lets be honest. the superman cant be stopped online at all. people give ways to block it etc. but that move by its self can win 80% of the games online. i know people will be completely blinded by there love of the game, but i seen it numerous times were people get mad at losing so many times and THEY INSTANTLY pick rayden!! everone knows it! i know people want to close there eyes and not see the big elephant in the room, but everyone knows if u want to get revenge, or if your losing over and over PICK RAYDEN and get your revenge! and i think anyone who says different ARE RAYDEN PLAYERS AND DONT WANT IT CHANGED! personally me and all my friends are starting to not injoy online anymore because of him and kung lao. those two have brought thousands of wins to people with no skill online and everyone knows it. face it everyone, that move = wins by itself no skill required. dont be blind and look for yourself at other players who go to him as there EMERGENCY WIN BUTTON!
ITS KILLING THIS GREAT GAME ONLINE!

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Raiden is not hard to beat. Kung Lao is not hard to beat. These "spammable" moves are their biggest weakness.

The lag is not so bad that they are unblockable, except on the occasional really bad connection. They put you at a huge advantage on block and are easy to predict.

If you are bested constantly by "spam" of any variety, it is your own fault.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
Raiden is by far the biggest pain in the ass for me to fight as Shang. The teleport followed by the same stupid 3 hit combo then Superman spam is highly effective but it got old after the first day. Win or Lose, it just feels like a waste of time against these kind of players.
Spent literally ~5 minutes in training as Raiden to learn some quick combos. When online, surprise surprise first match was against a typical Raiden spammer. Transformed into him and kicked his ass. He didnt like his tactics being used against him.