What's new

Question How should water shield be used?

Chengler

Milky Holmes
This might be an odd question but I'm not very clear. Its like a parry, but not really.

What are some practical applications for this? I use everything in his arsenal but this move. I can't put my finger on why I'd use it.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
My main use for it is to absorb full screen projectiles, grabs, air dives etc, and dash out of it and punish the recovery.

It can also be used to absorb unsafe strings or to meter burn it when somebody gets close.

Also you can cancel in to it at the end of unsafe moves/strings to dash cancel to safety.

It also let you get an ambiguous neutral jump cross up if you land the MB in the corner against an opponent that doesn't tech roll.

Chengler

Milky Holmes
My main use for it is to absorb full screen projectiles, grabs, air dives etc, and dash out of it and punish the recovery.

It can also be used to absorb unsafe strings or to meter burn it when somebody gets close.

Also you can cancel in to it at the end of unsafe moves/strings to dash cancel to safety.

It also let you get an ambiguous neutral jump cross up if you land the MB in the corner against an opponent that doesn't tech roll.
I sort of get that but I can't get the strategy. When do you do it? If a Batman is jumping in to you, you put it up?

I already use it to stop doomsdays meter burn sheeva drop, but that's it.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
The startup seems pretty bad for what its suppose to do. Must be over 10 frames before the armor kicks in.

The MB burst is good for closing out the round when you have a life lead and they have less than 8% left.

As far as using it and then dash cancelling, I can't ever seem to be able to punish anything dash cancelling it then doing d1. If people could give an example of a move that this strat would be good against, i'm very interested as it costs no meter as opposed to B3 MB.

LOL, I forgot this move was in the game. I've fought Aquaman a lot and I never see it. Never used it myself when I use Aquaman.

Gonna try to bait someone in w/ it tonight and then meter burn it.

Chengler

Milky Holmes
LOL, I forgot this move was in the game. I've fought Aquaman a lot and I never see it. Never used it myself when I use Aquaman.

Gonna try to bait someone in w/ it tonight and then meter burn it.
I love doing that against melee only characters like Catwoman.

They just know they can't do shit.

The startup seems pretty bad for what its suppose to do. Must be over 10 frames before the armor kicks in.

The MB burst is good for closing out the round when you have a life lead and they have less than 8% left.

As far as using it and then dash cancelling, I can't ever seem to be able to punish anything dash cancelling it then doing d1. If people could give an example of a move that this strat would be good against, i'm very interested as it costs no meter as opposed to B3 MB.
I punished superman's flying punch by just letting go of it after he hit (i didnt have to dash cancel) and punished with b2 in pratice mode

Edit: lol sorry nvm b2 already punishes it on block so theres no point

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
Stuff that comes to mind is superman's flying laser, raven's grab (one of them at least, I don't know the recovery them), Green Lantern's lift (from far) etc and I am sure a lot of more stuff. From across the screen I dash cancel it in to db2 and close up I go for dash cancel b+1,2

I was going to ask this exact same question. I did some testing yesterday, and I think I found some instances where you take more damage using the water shield than if you just took chip damage from block. This got me very confused. I'll have to try it again tonight.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I looked into it more and it can be situationally useful. I don't think it helps much against zoning unless you are trying to turtle with a life lead. While you take no chip, you also recover slower than if you blocked the projectile so that sucks if you're actually trying to get in.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I use it when turtling on a life lead, and if I don't want to take chip from projectiles. With a life lead it is is soooo good.

Watershield is absolutely amazing. Use it as a mixup after 22. If they try to attack or throw you'll absorb it and have an easy combo opening. Using it on someone in the corner is devastating as well, especially if you use the meter burn parry with it. It stays out so long and it can keep you from behind knocked down from interactables, leaving them open during the recovery. It might be one of the most OP moves in the game honestly, I feel dirty using it.

davidovitch

In Europe!
I thought any move that hits aquaman while the water shield is up does damage (full damage even?) so there is no point to absorb projectiles with it?

Adus

Always learning
This might be an odd question but I'm not very clear. Its like a parry, but not really.

What are some practical applications for this? I use everything in his arsenal but this move. I can't put my finger on why I'd use it.
I use it to absorb projectiles, as others have stated. It's really good against Superman players that like to jump in the air and spam their little laser (read: most of them), Green Lanterns, etc.

I'm not sure if anybody else has thought to do this yet, but I've also found it to be very useful against Doomsday. If you read his little leap-up-into-the-air-and-elbow-down-at-you move, you can go into Water Shield and absorb the hit for a punish or a burst. You can even time the burst right and get him in mid air before he even touches you. It's pretty hilarious. The same general idea could be applied to characters like Catwoman that like to super dash into your face, etc.

Adus

Always learning
I thought any move that hits aquaman while the water shield is up does damage (full damage even?) so there is no point to absorb projectiles with it?
You don't take any damage from the projectiles you absorb, only the physical hits.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I use it to absorb projectiles, as others have stated. It's really good against Superman players that like to jump in the air and spam their little laser (read: most of them), Green Lanterns, etc.

I'm not sure if anybody else has thought to do this yet, but I've also found it to be very useful against Doomsday. If you read his little leap-up-into-the-air-and-elbow-down-at-you move, you can go into Water Shield and absorb the hit for a punish or a burst. You can even time the burst right and get him in mid air before he even touches you. It's pretty hilarious. The same general idea could be applied to characters like Catwoman that like to super dash into your face, etc.
bingo...i recently figured this out and there is a video coming.

Does it protect against interactables?
It might for specific interactables from non power chars like the guns on strikers island but ive never tested it but ive noticed some interactables do less damage if it hits youre watershield compared to if you get hit or b3 (or f3) mb through it

In my opinion the water shield is one of the more useful moves in his arsenal. I mainly tend to use it against interactables which as of this moment I've been able to block most. It's also useful against match ups such as DD where Nova can be cumbersome, a good mb water shield after impact does a trick.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I think you guys are fucking crazy. It seems nearly useless at jump in range or closer. Throwing that shit out against someone who knows how the move works is dangerous. For instance:

A buddy I play with knows it only lasts 4 seconds, if I'm within dash range he'll count it out, dash in just before it ends and then hits me with a mix up. I think this move makes you a sitting duck.

At full screen it can be great to avoid lasers and whatnot, until you time it wrong and eat shit. Also doesnt work against everything. Black Adams stupid lightning toss that hits low...rapes you when you have the shield up.

If it came out faster this move would be the bee's knees.

I think you guys are fucking crazy. It seems nearly useless at jump in range or closer. Throwing that shit out against someone who knows how the move works is dangerous. For instance:

A buddy I play with knows it only lasts 4 seconds, if I'm within dash range he'll count it out, dash in just before it ends and then hits me with a mix up. I think this move makes you a sitting duck.

At full screen it can be great to avoid lasers and whatnot, until you time it wrong and eat shit. Also doesnt work against everything. Black Adams stupid lightning toss that hits low...rapes you when you have the shield up.

If youre sitting there holding it for the full four seconds consantly you deserve to be blown up cancell it or dash of of it
Its situational and or character dependant but helps alot in some cases

Its one of the best way to blow up interractables bc it acts as a MB b3 but costs no meter and reduces the damage you take (unlike MB b3 or f3)

It helps blow up character options againsnt people like scorpion and imo raven

And it a safe way to build meter from a distance vs chars that punish ground trident on block like killer frost, Aquaman himself, raven, deathstroke etc and watershield helps you keep a life lead all at the same time

First the move isn't meant to be held for the duration it's a form to give you a better shot at the match. For example take Doomsday's nova move if you know it's coming use water shield which will stop nova MB or not then MB water sheild to explode it knocking them back giving you the opportunity to get back in. It's not useless at all and if you have to use water shield against BA's lighting then time to go back to the lab. There's no need to use water shield on BA lighting a simple timed jump would do.