What's new

Question - Bojutsu How should I improve?

Hey guys, I main Jason but I've recently picked up bojitsu and shaolin KJ. Here's a vid or me using him. Are there many obvious ways in which I can improve? Thanks guys. Just wanted another perspective.

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef
Not a Kung Jin player, but starting most of your combos with jump-ins and ex moves is not that great. Kung jin has a lot of overheads and lows with good reach and good safety, might wanna take advantage of that.

You need to hit confirm the f24 overhead and b14 low combo starters. The bo swing combo ender is really unsafe on block despite the pushback, especially against a cassie player whose punishes cover a lot of ground. There are also some more optimal combos that are just as easy but do more damage so look into that.

Raw divekick which you did at the end is also unsafe, so whenever you go for a hard read like that, make sure to meter burn it. The jump back divekick always gets people, but just make sure you're safe. I think that was the main issue. As long as you don't throw out random specials, you'll get a lot better.

Be more patient and don't jump and cross over so much. This guy didn't know how to deal with it but you might get blown up for it against other players. Be more patient and punish them with your range. Use Up1 or just standing 1,1 for anti-airs that can convert into some damaging combos.

Nice Bo Flame! So close to a brutality

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
You should improve by blatantly bitching for buffs:

Kung Jin needs to have the best zoning and 50/50s ever, plus safe armored launchers and a six frame d1.

Fair and balanced. If it's good enough for Quan players to request, it's good enough for Kung Jin.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
You should improve by blatantly bitching for buffs:

Kung Jin needs to have the best zoning and 50/50s ever, plus safe armored launchers and a six frame d1.

Fair and balanced. If it's good enough for Quan players to request, it's good enough for Kung Jin.

You need to hit confirm the f24 overhead and b14 low combo starters. The bo swing combo ender is really unsafe on block despite the pushback, especially against a cassie player whose punishes cover a lot of ground. There are also some more optimal combos that are just as easy but do more damage so look into that.

Raw divekick which you did at the end is also unsafe, so whenever you go for a hard read like that, make sure to meter burn it. The jump back divekick always gets people, but just make sure you're safe. I think that was the main issue. As long as you don't throw out random specials, you'll get a lot better.

Be more patient and don't jump and cross over so much. This guy didn't know how to deal with it but you might get blown up for it against other players. Be more patient and punish them with your range. Use Up1 or just standing 1,1 for anti-airs that can convert into some damaging combos.

Nice Bo Flame! So close to a brutality
What's a good distance for Kung Jin when an opponent is waking up? When I do a combo that ends with db3 and want to be aggressive, I usually run in and do f24 or b14. I try to do the strings on the further end of their range so I don't get too close. I guess he does want to be close enough to connect with his mix-up strings. Is there a good way to respect armored moves of your opponent? I'm far too trigger happy when my opponent is waking up and often get hit with armored X-Rays or wake-ups. Should I throw in the occasional d1 and then block to bait them into thinking I'm going to attack when they wake up?

What's a good distance for Kung Jin when an opponent is waking up? When I do a combo that ends with db3 and want to be aggressive, I usually run in and do f24 or b14. I try to do the strings on the further end of their range so I don't get too close. I guess he does want to be close enough to connect with his mix-up strings. Is there a good way to respect armored moves of your opponent? I'm far too trigger happy when my opponent is waking up and often get hit with armored X-Rays or wake-ups. Should I throw in the occasional d1 and then block to bait them into thinking I'm going to attack when they wake up?
Kung Jin actually doesn't have to respect any armored wakeups. His f3,3 string (I think, the one where he kicks twice superfast into a hard knockdown) is an armor breaking move. I think it's safe as well. It doesn't combo, but will force opponent to waste meter and play a lot more passively.

Once you get them to start blocking, you can 50/50 them to death.