What's new

How is Nightwolf not OP. But cyrax is?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Yeah, he mistimes an EX lightening. I'm not talking about someone who mistimes it. And no where in that video was someone punishing a blocked axe.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Even if NW axe was 100% safe, I would be okay with it. It's a slow move for a combo starter. The reason they made Kung Lao's spin unsafe is because it's a 6 frame move. What's OP is fast and safe, not slow and safe or fast and unsafe. If you're up close against NW, you shouldn't be hit by a naked axe swing, as pretty much all of your good up close options are going to beat it.

leek

Noob
Oh dear lord
does a punish have to be an immediate combo? Rain got a block string into a full combo and won the set IIRC...
that's the point. If you can't hit the ex lightning there... why the hell does it matter

definitely done posting here now

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
People are confusing over powered and broken as the same thing. They're are not. There are many OP things in this game.
A lot of the top tier characters in this game are actually very OP (including Nightwolf) however they're not broken in the grand scheme of things.

We all knew that Sagat in Vanilla Street Fighter IV wasn't broken but he was definitely overpowered.

You guys need to sit in training mode one day and actually do comparisons on most of the cast. You'll laugh at some things that characters can get away with.

However, to the original poster. This is kinda how Mortal Kombat has always been just by the fact the characters have such dynamic movesets. You're just going to have to deal with it and wait for the game to be adjusted accordingly.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
People are confusing over powered and broken as the same thing. They're are not. There are many OP things in this game.
A lot of the top tier characters in this game are actually very OP (including Nightwolf) however they're not broken in the grand scheme of things.

We all knew that Sagat in Vanilla Street Fighter IV wasn't broken but he was definitely overpowered.

You guys need to sit in training mode one day and actually do comparisons on most of the cast. You'll laugh at some things that characters can get away with.

However, to the original poster. This is kinda how Mortal Kombat has always been just by the fact the characters have such dynamic movesets. You're just going to have to deal with it and wait for the game to be adjusted accordingly.
Thanks for clarifying my point. My argument isn't broken, its overpowered. But he'll never be adjusted because he's not a popular character. Thousands still crazy to nerf Lao, meanwhile NW gets away with all this.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
As much as hatchet might be safe on block against some characters, using it that way isn't that great unless you're looking for meter. His offense pretty much ends every time it's blocked. I don't think he gets a safe jump after a blocked hatchet. I'm new to NW though so I might be wrong.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Wow...Im dizzy from all this...lol

As a guy who has maimed nw since the beginning, I have a few thoughts.

If nw is fighting scorp, sub, rep, noob, smoke, mil, kit, jade, scarlet, sector, cyrax, csub, kenshi, rain, Freddy, sindel, Sonya, jax, cage, Stryker, kang, Lao, Kano, nw, kabal, baraka, Shang, rai, or even sheeva, the LT is void. Granted most of these characters need meter to get out(scorp, sheeva, Shang, and a few others) the point is almost every character except I think ermac, sindel can get out with a wakeup option.

Now let's not forget breakers. If a character uses meter management, the 40% combos are hard to land with nw, not to mention the 70+% ones. Now if a character uses NO METER and NO BREAKERS than NW can do 100%+ on say ermac. He can do...

Jip b22 axe axe ff1 ff1 ff12 choke...EH LT(choke ends with a shoulder so LT is active)...(ending with choke also leaves him close enough to get full combo)...
Ff axe ff1 ff1 ff12 choke...EH LT
ff axe ff1 ff1 ff12 choke...EH LT
Ffaxe ff1 ff1 ff1 ff122 shoulder.

It will NEVER happen in a real game because 93.75% of characters can get out of it...and 100% of characters can breaker it.

Axe is not safe

Axe is bad AA because it is too slow

Soulder is easily punishable...just watch ATL RED beat me in grand finals at atl revival when the recordings are released on Monday.

NW is greatly balanced...he is one of the few characters with only two adjustments made in patches...and they were both BUFFS
They gave him armor to eh choke and eh shoulder and he needed them bad.

I will always main him...and I think he is a better character than rain IMO but OP...no

My two cents

Past

Noob

The characters in this game does not have dynamic movesets; they are just variations of the same concept. For example you have many characters with a teleport, a projectile, an unblockable etc, so you think the game is balanced. However, when you compare the effectiveness of these tools, the game problems become apparent. For example, nightwolf shoulder/lightning mixup versus Jade's shadow kick/overhead mixup. Baraka's spin versus Kung Lao's. Sheeva's stomp vs Jax's ground pound. Raiden's teleport vs Scarlet's. Kabal's buzzsaw versus Liu Kang's low fireball. Is it any surprising who the better characters are?

Altaire

Noob
The characters in this game does not have dynamic movesets; they are just variations of the same concept. For example you have many characters with a teleport, a projectile, an unblockable etc, so you think the game is balanced. However, when you compare the effectiveness of these tools, the game problems become apparent. For example, nightwolf shoulder/lightning mixup versus Jade's shadow kick/overhead mixup. Baraka's spin versus Kung Lao's. Sheeva's stomp vs Jax's ground pound. Raiden's teleport vs Scarlet's. Kabal's buzzsaw versus Liu Kang's low fireball. Is it any surprising who the better characters are?
This is the worst logic I've seen in months.

No shit Baraka's spin isn't as good as Kung Lao's; that's why he has other, better tools to make up for it. Chopchop is one of the absolute strongest moves in the game once your opponent is cornered, and EX charge is great for cutting through zoning attempts. Kung Lao can't do that, can he? You compare Kabal to Liu Kang, not realizing that Kabal has vastly superior zoning while Liu Kang has vastly superior pressure strings and higher combo damage. You compare Nightwolf to Jade, not realizing that Jade all but invalidates zoning attempts and has much better pokes than Nightwolf does. You say that all of these characters have variations of the same concept; good job, you just described damn near every fighting game since the dawn of time. How many characters in Street Fighter have a generic projectile, an anti-air and possibly an advancing move of some sort (dash, roll, etc.)? Why, look at that: Cammy. Fei Long. Rufus. Sagat. Guile. Sodom. Guy. Urien. Gen. All of these characters have at LEAST two of the three, so what now?

MK9 is remarkable for the fact that every character in the game has some sort of competitive niche. They all have at least a few good tools to handle the majority of situations that arise, and each one has a fairly unique role in the metagame. The fact that you think one character is strictly better than another just because they have one better attack isn't even sensible.

Oh, and I lol'd at the comparison between Raiden's teleport and Skarlet's, when they're not even remotely similar functionally. You really have no idea what you're talking about at this point. Lord of the Fly hit this one right on the nail, case closed.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Nightwolfs damage is high as hell considering he has tools for everything with a 40% BnB -_-

But this games character inconsistency is just that...