What's new

How is MK9 compared to IGAU?

LiangHuBBB

Warrior
Hi TYM community, I am considering in getting this game.
Will I enjoy it when I like IGAU?
Is it much different when it comes to the learning curve & overall gameplay?
I am coming from the SF community, but I have been here on these forums since a while
because of IGAU.
Is there a character in MK9 which plays kinda similar to Deathstroke?
Are there still many ppl online in MK9?

Thanks in advance.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
It's totally different from IGAU, so will you enjoy it or not doesn't depend on your experience with IGAU.
Pick up Kabal :)

Espio

Kokomo
Execution wise, they're relatively similar for combos and the like.

They play differently for a lot of reasons. For example, in Injustice you have to commit to dashes whereas in MK you can cancel your dash into block and things like that, but dashes in MK don't have invincibility frames.

There are no interactables in MK, stages serve a more cosmetic role despite stages like the Pit and Rooftop being used for counterpicks due to their contrasting sizes.

There is a block button for MK instead of back to block. This means there are not true cross ups in the traditional sense.

There are also no character traits and chip damage is much higher on normals, comparatively similar to the chip damage on specials.

MK does not have a wager mechanic, but there is a breaker you can use if you have two bars and can be used multiple times as long as you have at least two bars (no health regained) and there are only three bars instead of four.

Each round you both start off with the same health and the timer restarts too so if you had a bad round, you don't have to make up a larger health deficit basically.

The only way to tell if you'll like MK9 is if you try it, like Injustice doesn't mean you'll like MK and the reverse is true as well. Try every character you have an interest in playing.

ryumanjisen

I only work in black,sometimes in very dark grey.
As far as I know (I could be wrong, my experience with MK9 is very, very limited) there are no links in MK either. In fact, its combo system is pretty similar to I:GAU.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Hm, could've sworn I've seen you playing MK9 before, but if not, whatever lol. Closest thing to Deathstroke in MK would probably be Skarlet, but she by far has the steepest learning curve in the game, especially if you're not familiar with MK9 mechanics in general.

Everyone else has covered what I would've said, but for what it's worth, I'd recommend checking out story mode. the AI is ass but it at least gives you a decent grasp of half the roster.

No 1frame links, you dial your combos in. If you liked Injustice, you will love MK9. Game is fooqin fun.
thats one of the things I love about mk9,the combos are so fucking easy.you should definetly give it a whirl,the games really fun.
Sonya's F22MSC into divekick.

Just sayin. :p

LiangHuBBB

Warrior
Hm, could've sworn I've seen you playing MK9 before, but if not, whatever lol. .

No, I haven't played this game before.
But IIRC there are a few ppl running around with my gamertag + a number behind
(LiangHuBBB14 or LiangHu-BBB etc) on 360 and PSN.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Hm, could've sworn I've seen you playing MK9 before, but if not, whatever lol. Closest thing to Deathstroke in MK would probably be Skarlet, but she by far has the steepest learning curve in the game, especially if you're not familiar with MK9 mechanics in general.

Everyone else has covered what I would've said, but for what it's worth, I'd recommend checking out story mode. the AI is ass but it at least gives you a decent grasp of half the roster.

Sonya's F22MSC into divekick.

Just sayin. :p
lol ok ill give u that one.

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
Hello sir we have met a few times online. Dude. Mk 9 is fun. But the net code is diabolical. If you want a bit of fun then pick it up but you will feel Luke you have gone a step back in terms of net code and a decent training mode. Zoning is ok ish in injustice but its hardly in mk. Yes characters have projectiles but because you have a block button and block dashing its hardly relevant. Krueger can zone and so can kenshi to a certain extent.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Basically its preference

Both games have the same fundamental problems. There are typically about ... 6 characters that are so good the others aren't worth learning.

MK has much faster movement and better AA
Injustice has better FG mechanics and many more all encompassing defensive tools.

MK has .... 3 TOD characters.
Injustice has 2 characters that are undoubtably the best in the game.

to each his own. But you can tell the same developer made them.

MK combos tend to be a bit more difficult in execution.

Its much more defensive than Injustice, but chip damage is substantial to make up for easy blocking. You will find many characters dont have good 50/50 mixups in MK unlike Injustice. Many more have absolutely no low attacks they can get a combo off.

So offense focuses alot more on getting your BnBs out by whiff punishing, which is easier due to dash cancelling. Raiden for example has no good low starters, but can get alot of whiff punishes off well timed teleports.

Meter building is still important, but doesnt have as many strategic uses as Injustice has.

Jumping in is also much more risky in MK since AA's are more common, and decent upercuts.

AI quality is about the same. Though AI can be a bit too predictable sometimes in MK, literally to the point I can consistently get a perfect against Stryker with Sub Zero.

Boss battles are cheap and stupid. You can easily beat Shao, Goro or Kintaro, but you have to play limited, braindead tactics that exploit the holes in what are basically unfinished characters. There are much better arcade options in Injustice, but everyone up to Shang in ladder is still fun to fight. In injustice the only boss fight is Supes. He is buffed but is a full character that you fight as tactically and methodically as any other.

Story mode is awesome in MK.

If you like one game you will like the other, just be careful because they play deceptively different.

Balance isnt really an issue if you are just playing casually or arcade. Unless of course you play Sub Zero in arcade on hard, and get steamrolled by a Kenshi AI on the 6th fight.... Uuuuugggghhh (bad memories)

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
LiangHuBBB
MK's anti-air, wakeup and footsie are better, but overall Injustice is deeper and more balanced.
But i still love MK more because it's really harder and way more fun.