What's new

Question - Raiden How important are the LRC combos?

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I'm just generally curious, Raiden seems extremely strong and I'm wondering do you NEED those combos to win? Cause he still has 43% overhead combos and 38% low combos in the corner with meter. What's the general consensus?

SEV

Noob
You don't need them, but you can get somewhere between 2-11% more per combo which can potentially be one less time you'll need to open up your opponent. Raiden really doesn't have any cancels involved with his pressure for frame traps, so not being able to do them shouldn't have a negative impact on your neutral. That being said, they're worth practicing if you want to compete in tournaments.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
You don't NEED them; they could be patched out tomorrow and TG Raiden would still be better than most of the cast. But your TG Raiden is suboptimal if you aren't using them.

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
You can get a large portion of damage from a combo with LRC off of an armored vicinity blast (df2), or armored moves in general; which in other combos would be much less.
For example, ex-df2 njp b14 LRC 214 bf3 (something along these lines) is around 32%
While, ex-df2 njb b14 bf3 is around 25% (ish?)

In a match every percent counts so it's very important to get the maximum damage off on your opponent in a combo. Although, if you can't pull off LRC consistently, it's better to do easier combos til you take the time out to learn them.

Yeah Dizzy is setting the example for TG Raiden players

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I just saw Digit win TX Showdown and also Juston Wong got 3rd at TX Showdown. I can say now after seeing all 3, Dizzy IMO is the best Raiden I've seen so far

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
At one of my locals tonight or Raiden player was doing the cancel and then going into a mixup after. Unless I am mistaken and the restand is before the LRC? It was kind of hard to tell.

But yeah if that reset into the 50/50 involves the LRC I would learn it. It is ridiculous, especially in the corner.

Albo

Noob
They're very beneficial. Ending combos with LRC~F12 leaves you at +17 (or 21 for +22), giving you a guaranteed b2, b3 pressure or throw attempt, not a good situation for the opponent. That and the added damage from LRC combos can make the difference in high level play if you can do them consistently.

I feel like so many players across characters are trying to work around the harder mechanics; at the end of the day you are gimping yourselves. RCs in general can be difficult but consistently practicing them makes them all feel so natural--not to mention, the benefits are fantastic.

I'm trying to do these LRC but they are not easy. Props to players who do it consistently
Coming from doing Liu Kang's (which in my opinion are the toughest), Scorpion's and Raiden's feel much easier. I remember when I first started I was so pissed at how hard they were but after finding that sweet spot it felt so good.

The good thing about Raiden is that you don't have to worry about doing it on a block string for pressure as much so at least the timing is always the same within your combos.

I love that Raiden can essentially setup a vortex with his in conjuction with b13? New to Raiden so i dont know his strings off the top of my head.

delbuster

hungry
before patch it wasn't that important, now that it is post patch, you should definitely learn it because it makes raiden actually top tier. without it he's still viable and a good char but loses a lot.

thankfully the most important times to use it are the easier combos where you LRC pretty early on.

delbuster

hungry
you don't need to until you need to press 1 for the combo afterward (which you most likely will for f12 or 214/213)

be careful as letting go of 1 too early will result in raiden throwing the fireball

I'm still having trouble understanding what exactly the point of doing a lrc is? If someone could explain what the purpose of it is that would be great. I understand more damage but would it be possible to cut it out the combo string, and just continue the string as is without the lrc. Too me doing the lrc in a string seems useless as it doesn't hit your opponent. I know this is a total newb question but I'm reletivley new to fighting games at a competitive level.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I'm still having trouble understanding what exactly the point of doing a lrc is? If someone could explain what the purpose of it is that would be great. I understand more damage but would it be possible to cut it out the combo string, and just continue the string as is without the lrc. Too me doing the lrc in a string seems useless as it doesn't hit your opponent. I know this is a total newb question but I'm reletivley new to fighting games at a competitive level.
By canceling You are gaining frame advantage. It opens up couple of options - one is damage increase. If am mistaken, sorry. Someone else will explain it better perhaps :)