What's new

Question - Tanya How good is Tanya...really?

What is Tanya

• Total voters
Too many characters can't deal with her. And why she should be the only character that can run away freely? Fix her tele or fix ethereal :p

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Like 99% sure I saw Paulo say somewhere that they are working on fixing her teleport.

Aside from that one tool being super brain dead she's fine, and we'll see what happens with that later
He did. He said her ex teleport will have less advantage on hit.

This is Paulo talking about the 49% blockstring on Jax:
kinda related totally safe blocked tpex will be gone at some point kinda removing the guaranteedness of this.

there is 20 frame delay on block (instead of the 5regular) before she is freed up on a block tp-ex. so she can still teleport away again and be safe but then you can punish here for that also if you are ready for that but she can know you're ready for that and not do it and then do the jp into block string but you can know that she knows that you were gonna wait and be ready to armor thru the jp or something like that
I don't think it will affect her placement on the tier list anyway, at least not for Kobu Jutsu.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Fox managed to antiair MIT a few times and convert into damage, but in the end it wasn't enough.

I'm not even suggesting adjusting or tweaking Tanya's other tools, just air Teleport. I don't think them costing 1 bar stamina will limit her that much. She doesn't use stamina in the ground anyway, and would still have access to ground teleport to move and dodge around. If I'm missing something --the big picture if you will-- I'm more than willing to admit I was wrong. Having said that, watching the best EB look helpless against the best Tanya takes the player factor out of the equation, leaving only the characters themselves to make an assessment: Tanya is certainly equipped with a very powerful tool that could be toned down just a notch.
She uses stamina for tele cancels, which are crucial to her pressure game and making opponents respect ground tele(its hella punishable otherwise). It would greatly limit her if the air teleports cost stamina. The real powerful tool is EX tele because you can EX tele then tele right after that. Makes it impossible to catch her sometimes. But the regular tele requires the Tanya players to make the right reads or get blown up. If anything they should make doing another tele after EX tele cost stamina.

I dont think your missing the big picture necessarily. Her mobility is what gives her the edge in quite a few MUs. However, it is pretty obvious that they meant for her to be a very mobility based character, so nerfing her mobility wouldnt be a very good idea. Plus, if you nerf her mobility then she is just another frame trap/rushdown character in a game full of rushdown characters. Her mobility is refreshing IMO.

Edit:

Too many characters can't deal with her. And why she should be the only character that can run away freely? Fix her tele or fix ethereal :p
Saying this when she has been out less than 2 weeks is ridiculous. Id be interested to know how much time you have spent with her in the lab.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I agree the dmg off of an ex'd move should be greater. But none the less it's an option. Even better because, as you say, you can go wall carry, or standing reset which is very good. Might not be the best option but I'd bet my fourth testicle in a pinch you'd cry yourself to sleep out of purejoy that you had it. I would.
I agree with the rest of what you are saying man, but this isn't what I'm saying at all. I'm fine with the damage it gets. Also, I'm the one who is saying it IS fine was just responding to you describing it as godlike because in the scope of things, it's just a decent/good option, but nothing extraordinary about it

BTW it's nice to be able to chit chat with fellow fighters without screaming and name calling. My early TYM days are going smoothly. I've learned and am learning a lot. You all have my thanks for that.
Still early days man. Wait till you encounter some of the Kenshi community on a bad day ;)

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
I mean let's be honest a back teleport isn't really super safe when you have full screen presence. Let her do that on a fully stocked Kotal. Sun-Ray-X-Ray-All-Day. Using full bars for a punish isn't just 'ideal' but ending a match/ round and going home with that cash is.

From what I'm seeing people are just too quick to point out something that at first seems overwhelming. Shit look at day one Scorpion play to now. It was the same with Jason, It will EXPLODE when predator comes out due to how much shit I'm imagining.

Ex tele needs tweaking, yes but how? Simple. Add another -3 on block. Is give almost every character a chance to do something. Everyone wants straight up Ex-Reversals into 35-40% combos that leaves them +pre-patch Erron Black. Sometimes shifting gear back to neutral is the best move. I've gotten eaten by my own 50\50s. I took the risk and got blown up. Kinda interesting, and yet it's kinda the way to play. Am I smarter then you. Down the last bit of frame data.

#BuffYourMindset

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I hope you're talking in general, because I haven't asked for a single nerf for any character or have bitched about whatever small nerfs EB got.
You have only asked for one in this thread.

I would not make the teleport require stamina. Only true rush down fools demands this change. But I would increase the start up of the teleport by several frames. I would also make the following changes.

D'Vorah
- significantly reduce block frame advantage of f+1,1,2 xx WGC

Erron Black
- EX sand grenade is -5 in block

Kung Lao
- slight damage reduction for combos in Tempest

Quan Chi
- EX rune is +10 on block

Raiden
- shocker is -14 on block
- EX shocker is -20 on block

Scorpion
- reduce block from advantage of 2,1,4 xx FBC in Hellfire to prevent uninterruptible loops

Sonya
- increase recovery frames of a whiffed dive kick

Last edited:
Her zoning and wakeups seem much better than most, so a lot of people's gameplans aren't designed for this sort of character, she takes major adjustments but isn't broken. I dont own her so I can't take it to the lab but it seems the pogo version is the weakest, and the other two are both pretty good (pyro seems strongest)

overall,

I would not make the teleport require stamina. Only true rush down fools demands this change.
My character uses stamina to teleport, so imo either she should as well or Raiden should also teleport for free (esp since raidens isnt even as good) As long as its even stevens, make scorpions and the rest as well cost stamina

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
I agree with the rest of what you are saying man, but this isn't what I'm saying at all. I'm fine with the damage it gets. Also, I'm the one who is saying it IS fine was just responding to you describing it as godlike because in the scope of things, it's just a decent/good option, but nothing extraordinary about it.

Still early days man. Wait till you encounter some of the Kenshi community on a bad day ;)

I see what you mean. My list is: Kitana, Kenshi, Takeda, Tanya, Jacqui(Shotgun). Now say were mid screen and you jump over my wake up attempt. I can't do shit but eat the combo into wherever you want.

Same shit on subz....... ".... I am Sub-Cero! no FUCKING JUMPING IN MI LA CASA!" Slams fist into palm to show he's serious. +20% combo into standing reset/19% wall carry frame advantage. Yeah I still call it GODLIKE. Quality over Quantity I guess?

How safe is he on block with that thing anyway

I main Kenjutsu after Morrowful. Much rage...lots of beers. Grew my own beard. I see how Kenshi did it.

Last edited:

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Because this is totally the thread to ask in. Any of you Tanya mains wanna play me, I could use the match up experience. I'll probably mostly be using Kitana, and Scorpion tho.

I would not make the teleport require stamina. Only true rush down fools demands this change. But I would increase the start up of the teleport by several frames. I would also make the following changes.

D'Vorah

Erron Black

Quan Chi

Raiden

Scorpion
- reduce block from advantage of 2,1,4 xx FBC in Hellfire to prevent uninterruptible loops
Raiden is of coarse the only char to get absolutely butchered out of those changes lol. You want ex grenade safe and ex rune plus but ex shocker even more punishable? And if you want raidens safe overhead gone get rid of its cancel ability, don't make shocker useless.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

D'Vorah

Erron Black

Quan Chi

Raiden

Scorpion
This 100x over.

Like seriously? Finally there's a legit character that can hit n run/keepaway, and "she doesn't let you play the game" stances are being thrown out. I guess Erron's 5 mixups in one let you all play the game right? Or Raiden's full screen wall carry into safe option selects and death corner 50/50's? Or D'Vorah getting a free 50/50 that leads to 40% damage every time you block an advancing safe string? These things let you play the game right??? But oh no, not Tanya. No she must be brought down. How dare her have mobility and defense.

Seriously? I forgot how one dimensional some people like their fighting games these days.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Raiden is of coarse the only char to get absolutely butchered out of those changes lol. You want ex grenade safe and ex rune plus but ex shocker even more punishable? And if you want raidens safe overhead gone get rid of its cancel ability, don't make shocker useless.
Shocker would still have armor. It wouldn't be useless.

You would have to use it more intelligently.

Shocker would still have armor. It wouldn't be useless.

You would have to use it more intelligently.
Normal shocker. He wants normal shocker -14. Which would make a high special, that stands in place, not comboable, and not a good ender, completely useless. B2 shocker is only 13% on hit so it being -7 is fine and what NRS intended. OS being removed is all raiden needs

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This 100x over.

Like seriously? Finally there's a legit character that can hit n run/keepaway, and "she doesn't let you play the game" stances are being thrown out. I guess Erron's 5 mixups in one let you all play the game right? Or Raiden's full screen wall carry into safe option selects and death corner 50/50's? Or D'Vorah getting a free 50/50 that leads to 40% damage every time you block an advancing safe string? These things let you play the game right??? But oh no, not Tanya. No she must be brought down. How dare her have mobility and defense.

Seriously? I forgot how one dimensional some people like their fighting games these days.
Its gotta be good when their characters are the ones always on the top of the table calling the shots, now we have a character that has the ability to invert the table and suddenly "it doesn't let their characters play the game".

That's how horrible some posts are on this thread.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
You have people in this thread claiming that many characters in the game can't handle her Tanya pressure.

I seriously doubt that these people have taken every character in every variation and spent hours looking into all of their options vs. her teleport pressure.

Notice how they haven't named these characters? Yeah. Me too.

A zoning character's tools require patience to get around and everyone is demanding nerfs.

But D'Vorah is "fine."

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
She should be left alone. If she's still playing her own game after a few months normalize it

Just have zoners white knighting her and 50/50 guys calling for nerfs. No one knows who to believe

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I hope NRS don't listen to people who can't just learn how to play against a character, really... We don't need the MK9 Kano syndrome in MKX. She just needs a fix in her MB teleport and that's it IMO.

If her air teleport gets nerfed on its speed then runs in general should get nerfed as well, people cry because a tool gets a character away for "free" but suddenly they are ok with runs which are the same but they work to get in.