What's new

How does this game do hit confirms?

I've been trying to understand the speed at which I need to do hit confirms in MK. I'm follow this video:

Sajam explains that how you just pick a safe string and input it (244). If you see it hit, cancel it into Nut Punch. This isn't too bad because there's a lot of time to cancel from this string.

However, what I'm confused about is hit confirming into the last part/end of a string when they block (not sure how to really phrase it tbh)?

For example Sub-Zero's b32.
-On hit: Cancel into Ice Ball.
-On block: Finish the string with 1.

When I input the string and I see that it is blocked, I will input 1 but it's clearly so delayed that it won't come out.

Is this not feasible? Are my reactions too slow? Am I missing something? Any advice would be gladly appreciated. :)

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
Is this not feasible? Are my reactions too slow? Am I missing something? Any advice would be gladly appreciated. :)
You want to be doing the third input as soon as you see that the first one has connected or not

zHawken

Would you settle for me sausage?
There are ways to "cheese" it. For example Liu Kang's b124. You have to do all three inputs for the move to even come out past b1 but if you're fast enough you can still special cancel after b12 if that makes sense

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I've been trying to understand the speed at which I need to do hit confirms in MK. I'm follow this video:

Sajam explains that how you just pick a safe string and input it (244). If you see it hit, cancel it into Nut Punch. This isn't too bad because there's a lot of time to cancel from this string.

However, what I'm confused about is hit confirming into the last part/end of a string when they block (not sure how to really phrase it tbh)?

For example Sub-Zero's b32.
-On hit: Cancel into Ice Ball.
-On block: Finish the string with 1.

When I input the string and I see that it is blocked, I will input 1 but it's clearly so delayed that it won't come out.

Basically the idea is that you're looking for earlier hits of the string to hit in order to confirm later ones into specials. So most of the time you can't really confirm a single hit -- but you know that if the first hit lands, the rest will as well. So that gives you a bit of time to react and cancel.

The timing of cancels (and of inputting the strings in general) is pretty lenient in a lot of cases. The best thing to do is to take things into practice mode and see how far you can stretch them. For example, it's hard to cancel Jacui's 22 into something super late, but her f31 has a very lenient window, etc.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
The key is understanding how the buffer window works. you can pretty much mash out the early part of a string and and input the buttons long before the animation finishes. So if you have a string with a long animation in it you can mash out the first few hits early and wait to confirm the last parts of the string. With the way strings work in this game it's not really possible to hit confirm normals on their own so it can feel a little foreign if you're use to other fighters

There are ways to "cheese" it. For example Liu Kang's b124. You have to do all three inputs for the move to even come out past b1 but if you're fast enough you can still special cancel after b12 if that makes sense
Yeah, that makes sense. Going to try some stuff when I get home.

Basically the idea is that you're looking for earlier hits of the string to hit in order to confirm later ones into specials. So most of the time you can't really confirm a single hit -- but you know that if the first hit lands, the rest will as well. So that gives you a bit of time to react and cancel.

The timing of cancels (and of inputting the strings in general) is pretty lenient in a lot of cases. The best thing to do is to take things into practice mode and see how far you can stretch them. For example, it's hard to cancel Jacui's 22 into something super late, but her f31 has a very lenient window, etc.
The cancelling is simple enough for my mind, definitely have to work on the timing. I don't think the leniancy is there when finishing/inputting the end of a string.

For the example of Sub, I'll input b32 straight away for my string. I see the b3 part of the string is blocked, I press 1 but it won't come out. Is that too wide of a delay? Do I just have to just commit to the 1?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
For the example of Sub, I'll input b32 straight away for my string. I see the b3 part of the string is blocked, I press 1 but it won't come out. Is that too wide of a delay? Do I just have to just commit to the 1?
I just went into practice to hit confirm/block confirm B32 with B32(1) and B32(ice ball) depending on hit or block. I think you're reacting too slow because you aren't used to it. That one is a bit quicker than some others but definitely doable with practice.

To get a better idea on it, go into practice and do it with Skarlet's 124 string. Dial up 124 as quick as you can, and on hit do BF4. On block do DB3. You'll be "watching" Skarlet perform the 124 attack animations, and depending on if they are hit or blocking you do the BF4 or the DB3 around the time the (4) is starting up or becoming active. After, do the same with 21. On hit do 212, on block do 21-DB4.

These windows should help you get the practice of it down better then go back n try it with Sub.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
I don't know why but hit confirming was so easy in MK9 for me but here, it feels a little bit harder and I can't explain why. I'm sure the windows are the same but it's just a certain feel.

It's something I'm sure I'll get as time goes along.

I just went into practice to hit confirm/block confirm B32 with B32(1) and B32(ice ball) depending on hit or block. I think you're reacting too slow because you aren't used to it. That one is a bit quicker than some others but definitely doable with practice.

To get a better idea on it, go into practice and do it with Skarlet's 124 string. Dial up 124 as quick as you can, and on hit do BF4. On block do DB3. You'll be "watching" Skarlet perform the 124 attack animations, and depending on if they are hit or blocking you do the BF4 or the DB3 around the time the (4) is starting up or becoming active. After, do the same with 21. On hit do 212, on block do 21-DB4.

These windows should help you get the practice of it down better then go back n try it with Sub.
THIS was extremely helpful in understanding the windows. Sub is definitely a little harder overall, but I understand the idea of it much better.