What's new

How does dash cancelling work precisely?

jedybg

Noob
Hey all,

Why does this work:

Geras is doing a wake-up d1 which gets registered as a throw escape (instead of punishing the slower throw).

Cassie is +2 on a raw nut punch. Geras does a wake-up d1 (6f) and she does a micro dash into grab. Grabs are 10f and the micro-dash is ?? frames. She should be losing every time.
I've gone through this 30-40 times and the only time Geras does win is if the d1 is slightly delayed(and the grab whiffs).

Why would a 10f move punish a 6f move in a +2 situation?

Any ideas are welcome!

PS: Here are some extra dash questions:
Also, how long are dashes in this game? (as in frames)
How early can you cancel a dash into anything? (I'd presume there's a minimal distance of sorts)
Does dash canceling do anything with the startup frames of the move? (as I understand it, it should just add a few extra frames)

Vagrant

Noob
Only thing I can think of is you didn't do it at the first available frame? I dont think it auto places the d1 at the first available frame after hit stun. I'm not sure though. This is bothering me now. lol

jedybg

Noob
Only thing I can think of is you didn't do it at the first available frame? I dont think it auto places the d1 at the first available frame after hit stun. I'm not sure though. This is bothering me now. lol
Same here. I think it's the first frame, I either get that or the grab whiffs and the d1 is a punish.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, since throws whiff on d1s, as long as you are holding down and then tapping 1 it seems like the throw should whiff even if the d1 didn't come out at all. The fact that it's being registered as a throw escape is even more bizarre. @16 Bit Any chance we can get some insight into what's happening here?

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Yeah, since throws whiff on d1s, as long as you are holding down and then tapping 1 it seems like the throw should whiff even if the d1 didn't come out at all. The fact that it's being registered as a throw escape is even more bizarre. @16 Bit Any chance we can get some insight into what's happening here?
I can tell you what happened. Usual for NRS thing, an oversight

jedybg

Noob
Perhaps the nut punch is not +2 on hit but more?
Tested that, his 6f d1 punishes my f4 which is 9f mid. That makes the +2 correct or, alternatively, incorrect but only +3.
Considering the nut punch beats the 9f normal, it shouldn't win against the 10f grab.

Last edited: