What's new

Question How Do You Train?

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Now before this thread is immediately dismissed I would like to preface it by saying I read almost every noob article on this site 10 times already. My frustration is building because what I read or get told is the complete opposite of whats being done.

In one article (as well as being told by people in twitch chats) is that playing online doesn't help you get better. Now I understand the premise behind playing online but when I ask a streamer (who is normally very good) how often they play/train and they say "I only play MKX when I stream." Are they being sarcastic? I'm not sure but I have a couple on my PSN and it seems that is the case. I also understand that some of these guys/girls have consistent years of experience but I'm attempting to take a similar path of getting better at MKX and hopefully fighters in general but they are dismissing my curiosity in getting better by doing something I've learned (I took that TYM article as scripture) I shouldn't do.

I've subbed to some of these guys and sometimes I get a game with them but I never get told what I must work on. I take my very limited knowledge of the game and assume what I need to work on. Does the butt whooping help? Yeah but I can go online and get my butt whooped to see what I must work on.

Now, I'll stop my "venting" right there but I just wanted to attempt to paint a background of my state of being as I typed this up. I'm very humbly asking the TYM community what their personal training regiment is, thats it.

Here's a few of my questions that I hope are answered by this awesome community:

• How do you practice your moves? Do you drill one a session and go online to practice that move?
  • Do you train vs a standing AI? Or Very Hard AI?
  • When it comes to inputting combos, especially online, is it slow or deliberate or do you attempt to input them as quickly as possible?
  • How do you deal with pressure? Do you wait for the combo to be dropped or is there a read to know when its safe to poke out?
  • How do you punish? Do you start inputting it the moment the last hit lands? Or is there a way in which I can let off block a split second early and start punishing?
I really appreciate anyone giving this thread a look, even if you don't answer at all. I really enjoy this community so far but when I reach out to attempt to learn from the better players they seem to be sharing very limited tips - maybe its due to EVO coming up?

But if one of you guys/girls can help, it'd be much appreciated. And if someone wants the challenge of training me up, I'd appreciate that as well. I'd even give up Mileena and learn whatever character you use if the end game is me getting better at the game.

Thank you once again for taking the time to read this.

Ray
Times available: If you see me online playing MKX, I'm available. Normally after 5pm ct until 11pm.

Carmine

PSN: CaptCarmine
when I decide I want to train, i get a group of friends together, we then bring out ticket to ride, and see who can train the longest

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Yo Ray, people say online won't help you because if you ONLY play online then go to an offline event and try and sit down and play you will likely have to make adjustments to how you play and timings on things. Playing online can help you learn some of the things to defend against but people's online tactics (for randoms anyway) are fairly limited for the most part and people won't respect what you can do like offline as much. Practice your combos in training is a big thing, people do this until they can hit them consistently, then the next thing is trying to hit them in an actual match and getting them off. Also keep up with your character's forum, there should be tech in there and combos and hits you can confirm into damage in there. As for footsies... that kinda just comes with time, as you learn the range of your character's normals and what advantage they give you.

ExpiredCodes

The Yankees blew a 3-0 lead in the 2004 ALCS.
  • When it comes to inputting combos, especially online, is it slow or deliberate or do you attempt to input them as quickly as possible?
You have to confirm your strings, since I see you're a Mileena player I'll give you one of her examples. To confirm Mileena's overhead string I'll do F34 and if the overhead lands I'll add 4 and continue the combo but if it's blocked then I don't press anything and I can't be punished since the Block Adv of F34 is 0. Inputting the entire combo immediately (F343 xx Tele-Kick xx) leaves you at -19 and you end up getting bodied.

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
I practice combos for quite a bit, making sure I have them ingrained into my muscle memory. Then afterwards I freestyle, meaning I'll try different ways to lead into that combo, possible alternatives, maybe I'll accidentally find a combo that does more damage, or a different combo path. Might help to look at what others do, and combine some of their mixture of strings with your own to possibly boost your maximum damage potential, or see how you can improve your own set up.

After you are satisfied with that. Set computer to block random Kombo. Practice your entry, and make sure you can land it or make it safe on block or hit.

You can use online for training, offline is of course ideal. But if you are fighting someone where you can't punish for example Scorpion's teleport, or Sub-Zero's slide. Leave and play someone else. Also if you can't do your combos after a few tries it's also a good sign to find a new opponent with a good connection. Offline is important. Finding casuals with people of equal or better skill level is great. And will allow you to practice set ups, blocking, being put into different situations that you are new too. If something is kicking your ass...

Time to go to training room, and record what the opponent was doing and play it back and look for answers of what you can and cannot do. This will ultimately make you a better player.

KuralKing

Never forget The Great Ferra/Torr Scare!
  • How do you practice your moves? Do you drill one a session and go online to practice that move?

I watch combo videos on TYM (special thanks to those that make kombo video in training mode with the input on-screen), memorize up to 2 or 3 of the easy ones, go to my friend house that have the game and play vs them and try to land those that i remember. Playing only 1 time a week with this method i now have a :D above average ferra/torr and a mediocre level Kano, Jax, Jason, and trash level Mileena, and will add predator to that trash level list this Saturday!

How do you deal with pressure? Do you wait for the combo to be dropped or is there a read to know when its safe to poke out?
    I Grab the fuck out of them till they give me space son! :rolleyes: them i get bodied because ferra/torr can't play a zoning game

How do you punish? Do you start inputting it the moment the last hit lands? Or is there a way in which I can let off block a split second early and start punishing?

Been playing sub zero since day 1 and i still can't figure out how to punish effectively that fucker, so can't answer this question. :p

First off, what works for someone else may not work for you.

Online can be used for training. I use it for matchup experience. When i run into something, i go into training and (most importantly) try to figure out if it was online bs or not. If not then you know what you need to work on. As far as bnb's... Have a few dumbed down for online but keep your offline bnb's crisp as well.

I chunk things out when learning. Ill take the first half of a combo, and do it until i cant get it wrong, then move on to the next part.

In general... Get your bnb's down to where you can do them with your eyes closed. Get as much matchup exp as you can... That will help in knowing when to poke, armor, backdash, reverse pressure, or teabag. And have fun, ffs, or else you're just waisting your time.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Ok... so, I, by no means, am a great player. BUT, I love seeing players want to learn and get better so I will try to help you out my friend. My answers in blue. :)

• How do you practice your moves? Do you drill one a session and go online to practice that move? Pick an aspect of your game that you think needs working on and either go into practice mode with a friend and have them do whats whipping you over and over while you practice the ways to beat it. Or practice the certain tactic you're working on and then go online and try doing only that thing in games against other players. Don't worry about winning or losing.
  • Do you train vs a standing AI? Or Very Hard AI? Standing AI. Varying the ways they block and how they get up from a knockdown.
  • When it comes to inputting combos, especially online, is it slow or deliberate or do you attempt to input them as quickly as possible? This is sort of just a "feel" type thing. Sometimes I feel like I need to enter moves faster in order to make them connect. But, going too fast will result in dropped or missed inputs. Happens a lot to me with Cassie in the corner trying to input 21u4 too fast to compensate for lag or increasing gravity.
  • How do you deal with pressure? Do you wait for the combo to be dropped or is there a read to know when its safe to poke out? You have to know when the gaps are and if they are armorable or pokable. This is honestly one of the hardest things to learn. You need to know how to read frame data. I usually ask the better players I play with what I can do against certain strings and pressure. Like in MK9, once I learned how and where to poke out of kabals ndcs... the mu became so much easier.
  • How do you punish? Do you start inputting it the moment the last hit lands? Or is there a way in which I can let off block a split second early and start punishing? Not really sure what to tell you here. I release block right after the move that's punishable connects and go straight into my go to punish. Which means you need to already know how you're going to punish certain moves. That way when something unsafe hits you on block, you don't have to think about what to press. I block a scorpion tele in MK9 with sub... boom, F4 freeze. Know, don't think I guess would be my advice lol.
Sorry if this doesn't help very much.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
If you know the frame data you KNOW what you can punish with. if you can't figure out if something is punishable or not look up the frame data. F/T have like a super super fast Low poke that can get you out of most staggered pressure.

--Drill a session on practice mode, just input the bread and butter combos over and over again til i get them down.
  • Do you train vs a standing AI? Or Very Hard AI?
--Train vs standing no-block. I only check out very hard AI to see what the computer thinks are good combo/set-up ideas
--With jax i've gotten pretty deliberate, sometimes i'll just go for the shorter, easier combos because lag throws off the stuff i can do in practice mode
  • How do you deal with pressure? Do you wait for the combo to be dropped or is there a read to know when its safe to poke out?
--Poke out
  • How do you punish? Do you start inputting it the moment the last hit lands? Or is there a way in which I can let off block a split second early and start punishing?
--Wait til he's done unless it is a string i know is not a true blockstring

CODE7747

Noob
i hit the lab and practice one combo over and over until i feel i have it down right then move onto another one, once i get a few down then i play the comp practicing those combos until i can do them successfully on a moving opponent , then ill play friends and practice them on a live person...that's how i train lol

Carmine

PSN: CaptCarmine
One ticket for a group? Thats an awesome price on tickets. Thank you for responding sir.
Its actually a really fun board game that people should play, but on to your real question

the best way to start getting better is to first go to training and work on combos with the character you want to practice, looking up combo threads here for the character of your choice is the easiest way, once you have practiced those comboes to the point where they feel pretty second nature try to beat the storyline without a continue on normal, if you cant go back to training and continue practicing.
Once you beat it you can start trying to go against people online, play like 10 matches and try to determine what part of your gameplan your opponents were beating. once you determine what that was, using the record feature of training to figure out how they were beating your plan,
then try to change up your gameplan, and go back online and continue to do this and with each repetition you will get better

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
I practice against a standing ai most of the time it depends on what you want to practice if you are practicing anti airs then you can set the bot to jump.

When inputting combos it depends on the strings and specials within the combo. Some combos you can just quickly input all the buttons whereas others you will really need to work on timing.

Dealing with pressure just comes from experience. You will need to find out about frame data what each one means but for now the most important ones is block advantage and startup . Block advantage shows how many frames a move gives you before you opponent can move again. If the number is negative it means your opponent can move before you and if it is positive you will be able to act first. Startup is the number of frames it takes for the move to connect. So to stop the pressure you must know when your opponent has a negative block advantage and then you must learn which of your moves is quick enough to outspeed your opponent usually most moves will do but some characters are very quick.

Punishing is all about frame data as well. This is about block advantage. A move that has - 5 or greater block advantage is completely safe and cannot be punished. Moves less than that can be punished depending on what character you play some characters do not have moves quick enough to punish - 6 others can. To punish a move of - 6 block advantage you would need a character who has a startup of 6 or less. As for the timing you can record the ai doing a move so you can practice Punishing it.

I wouldn't mind showing you some stuff with mileena or any other characters but it'll have to be next week cause I'm on holiday at the moment.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Learning the game can take a very long time. In the beginning I would not even focus on a character. Just train with the cast, one by one to learn their strength and weaknesses. You want to go into training mode and find the things that will be useful to you in a match. Go through the characters normals and gauge which ones have the quickest start up and cover a decent amount of range. Learn which of your strings have gaps (can be armored or backdashed), which are safe on block and which are special cancellable. For strings also learn how to block them. Learn combos for the most encountered situations in a match (air to air, punish, off of anti air, off of wake up launcher, etc). Then move on to studying the frame data and looking for moves that leave you plus to set up frame traps, moves that leave you minus enough so that can be punished, and moves that jail the opponent and allow you to set up a mix up. Once you have an idea of what the cast can do, pick a character you enjoyed playing the most during your cast survey. It will be slow at first but once you learn what characters can do and what there general strength and weakness are, you will start leveling up much faster.

Thats just the stuff to get you ready to play people. Now when you play someone you will be better equipped to understand why you lost and what you have to do to get better at that specific match up.

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
Not sure what that means but I'll take it as a troll call haha. I'm prepared to be called a "scrub" or get the "just practice" responses. I've been on forums for a very long time.

Thanks for reading (or at least posting) boss.
Re: how do you "train" :p

choo choooo

Sorry I'm just being silly. Not trolling!

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
People who say online doesn't make you better probably either have a lot of access of offline games. Or can't get around the terrible net code. They help a lot and it's good to play it.

Don't fight the AI they read your mind not guess what your going to do.

infamy23

FireBeard
I'm gonna go over some of the things I do to work on my game, then I'll answer your specific questions.

First thing I do every day when I turn the game on, is go in to training mode and brush up on my execution. I work on things that I'm already proficient at doing. My BnB combos in various situations, my lightning run cancel resets. I do this for about 30 minutes and if I seem to be dropping a particular combo for some reason, I might spend an additional 15 minutes working on the muscle memory for that combo.

It's worth mentioning that when I first started playing Raiden, I spent something like 6-8 hours per day in training mode for an entire week learning everything there is to know about the character. I did not even think about going online or doing anything else until I was comfortable with all of his BnB's, his LRC combos, his resets, his frame traps, and some of his common matchups.

It's been 2 1/2 months since I picked him up, which is why I can spend ONLY 30 minutes per day working on these things now. If you haven't put in the lab time with your character, then you have basically skipped the most essential step. It's pointless to play online or offline and try to learn matchups if you don't have a firm grasp on your character already.

After I go through my daily routine with Raiden, I will usually spend a couple of hours learning another character. I try to learn a new character every 3-4 days, but some characters are more complex than others, so it can take up to a week or more. For example, Kung Jin only took me 2 days to learn to a competent level, but Ermac took me over a week.

The reason I learn other characters is so I can be familiar with their moveset and playstyle. So when I get matched up against them with my Raiden, I will have a much deeper understanding of what they are trying to do, and what my options are against them.

There is over 90 variations in the game, so I tend to choose the most common characters first. Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Kung Jin, Mileena, Liu Kang, Kung Lao etc.... I still have more than half the cast that I have barely even looked at!

After learning the basics of a character in training mode. I will spend a few hours playing against the AI on medium. The only purpose of this, is to practice doing the things I've learned on a moving opponent.

Once I feel comfortable with the basic BnB'S and playstyle of a character, I will hop online to play for the rest of the day.

Now here is the most important thing:

I AM NOT TRYING TO WIN GAMES ONLINE.

If your goal is to get wins online, and improve your online record, then you might as well give up now because you're playing for the wrong reasons.

The reason I play online, is to practice specific things that I've worked on in training mode. I'm also there to take notes on other characters, and what I need to work on against them.

For example, the first time I played against a good Scorpion online, I got vortexed to death and I had no idea what to do about it.

I watched the replay and took some notes of what I need to work on, and the next day I learned how to use Inferno Scorpion.

2 months later, if I play against an Inferno Scorpion, I will punish every teleport, every slide. I will fuzzy guard every reset. I will stay out of the air and not contest his Ji3. I know the range of his D4 and I have a good idea of what he wants to do at every moment of the match. I know the frames and properties of all his strings, and I know when and how I should poke out or armor out if he's pressuring me.

My goal when playing online is to practice these things that I've learned about Scorpion, and continue to take notes on the matchup, so I can practice more things against him in the lab. Right now I'm working on reacting to his 21xMinion strings, so I can interrupt him on reaction with Raiden's F1.

Sometimes I will spend time "exploring" my character. I will read the Raiden forums, watch videos of Dizzy or Digit, and try to implement parts of their game into my own, or come up with my own ideas. Right now I'm working on converting off of my EXDB2 anti-air. I'm also working on counter-poking with B12 LRC and confirming into a combo or a reset. I might spend a few hours online trying to specifically land these things.

Every Sunday, I go to a local venue in my city, to play offline with my local scene. I am lucky enough to live in a city where there is a steady group of guys to play with. If you haven't explored the local offline options in your city, I suggest you do so ASAP. Check out the matchmaking forums on this site, make a post on the MKX Reddit, look for FGC related facebook pages in your city. Do whatever you can to find people to play with offline because it helps immensely.

We are now also getting together for casuals on Mondays, so that's 2 days a week where I play offline for several hours.

I also try to enter and train for as many tournaments as I can. We've only had 1 in Calgary so far, but there is another one coming up on Aug 1st, and then another on Aug 24th. Then I'll be training for Canada Cup in October. Training for these tournaments gives me motivation to keep leveling up my game, and studying matchups.

Another very important part of my process, is finding good players online with good connections, and adding them to my friends list so I can play extended sets with them. I use a capture card to record these sets, and then I study them and write extensive notes on the matchup. Sometimes while watching these replays, I pick up on very bad habits of mine, or missed opportunities, and I go into the lab and work on those things specifically, then go online and work on them some more.

I also spend a lot of time reading this forum, the MKX reddit, and watching streams. (Pretty much only Tom's stream but sometimes Wonderchef.)

playing online doesn't help you get better
Playing online helps you get better at.... playing online. For some people, this is all that matters.

Personally, as I've said, I believe that playing online can be helpful as long as you go into it with the right mindset. Be aware that the lag has a massive effect on the effectiveness of certain strategies, so if you think you're godlike just because you spam D3 all day and jump around like a moron, you're gonna be in for a huge surprise if you play someone offline and they anti-air you consistently, and counter poke your D3's every time.

I spend around 20% of my time playing online, and I'm usually just working on specific things, as opposed to trying to win games.

How do you practice your moves? Do you drill one a session and go online to practice that move?
Aside from my daily routine, yes, I do this a lot. I will learn a new combo, frame trap, reset, knockdown setup.. whatever, practice it for 15-30 minutes, and then go online and try to land it in a match.

Do you train vs a standing AI? Or Very Hard AI?
After I feel comfortable against the standing AI, I will spend maybe an hour doing ladders on medium difficulty, just to get a feel for doing things on a moving opponent. Playing on hard/very hard is pointless IMO unless you're specifically working on blocking/punishing against a certain character.

When it comes to inputting combos, especially online, is it slow or deliberate or do you attempt to input them as quickly as possible?
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here. My inputs are definitely ALWAYS deliberate. I never mash buttons frantically if that's what you mean. The only thing that changes online is the input delay. So I'm inputting my combos exactly the same as I do in training mode, I'm just doing them earlier.

For example, Raiden's B2 B2 in the corner, in training mode I have to wait until his arm extends all the way down before I press the second B2. But online, I can press the second B2 when his arm is at the "4 o'clock" position, because of the input delay. If the lag is really bad, I'll have to press it even earlier than that.

The only thing that's changing is the visual cues that I use for timing.

I do the exact same combos online, as I do offline. I just have to learn 2 different sets of timings.

How do you deal with pressure? Do you wait for the combo to be dropped or is there a read to know when its safe to poke out?
This is entirely dependent on the character you're facing, and this is exactly why I continue to learn new characters.

For example I have recently learned that I can armor through Ermac's F21D2 string. Previously, I would block this entire string and then he would be at neutral frames, and most likely counter hit me with a D3 into a mixup. Now that I'm aware of his frames, I armor though this string on reaction every time. And if he catches onto it and starts doing F212, my option select will cause me to still block the 3rd hit even though I stopped blocking for a moment to do my reversal. If he tries to do F21 and bait my reversal, I will make a read that he's baiting, and I know that he's -14 after F21 so I will full combo punish.

This type of stuff just boils down to knowledge, which I am constantly accumulating. Probably the most time consuming part of the game.

How do you punish? Do you start inputting it the moment the last hit lands? Or is there a way in which I can let off block a split second early and start punishing?
It depends what you are punishing.

If Kenshi does EX Rising Karma at max distance, the only thing I can punish with is a reversal BF3.

Since I'm using a reversal special, I can input this about 6-8 frames before I come out of blockstun, and the move will come out on the first available frame. (Actually it comes out 1 frame faster since it's a reversal.)

If he's in the corner, and does EX Rising Karma right in my face, then I will have to wait until I am completely out of blockstun. I know from experience that I will come out of blockstun when the blue spirit guy reaches the top of the screen and starts to fade away.

Since I have practiced punishing that move in the corner in training mode, I have no problem recognizing the correct timing for when I need to press my standing 2 to get a full punish.

Punishing, like combos, frame traps, setups and pretty much anything else in the game, requires practice.

If you haven't spent time in the lab learning to punish something, then don't be surprised if you hop into a match and cannot punish it consistently.

I realize this post is absurdly long, but you did ask for a detailed response :)

Hope it helps.

I really appreciate anyone giving this thread a look, even if you don't answer at all. I really enjoy this community so far but when I reach out to attempt to learn from the better players they seem to be sharing very limited tips - maybe its due to EVO coming up?

But if one of you guys/girls can help, it'd be much appreciated. And if someone wants the challenge of training me up, I'd appreciate that as well. I'd even give up Mileena and learn whatever character you use if the end game is me getting better at the game.

Thank you once again for taking the time to read this.

Ray
Times available: If you see me online playing MKX, I'm available. Normally after 5pm ct until 11pm.
Long post incoming:

@JerzeyReign I appreciate you posting this. This is what TYM is here for, to help players level up. I don't own MKX, so I'm not sure how much this will help you, but I understand where your coming from since I have played tekken, injustice, mk9, kof, and Street Fighter in the past and wondered where to start or improve. I feel threads like this are important because there are a lot of players in your shoes, that may or may not want to speak up for their own reasons.

In one article (as well as being told by people in twitch chats) is that playing online doesn't help you get better. Now I understand the premise behind playing online but when I ask a streamer (who is normally very good) how often they play/train and they say "I only play MKX when I stream." Are they being sarcastic? I'm not sure but I have a couple on my PSN and it seems that is the case. I also understand that some of these guys/girls have consistent years of experience but I'm attempting to take a similar path of getting better at MKX and hopefully fighters in general but they are dismissing my curiosity in getting better by doing something I've learned (I took that TYM article as scripture) I shouldn't do.

I've subbed to some of these guys and sometimes I get a game with them but I never get told what I must work on. I take my very limited knowledge of the game and assume what I need to work on. Does the butt whooping help? Yeah but I can go online and get my butt whooped to see what I must work on.

I feel the "online doesn't help you get better" is true to an extent, but I feel the context isn't worded properly. Online can help you get better as far as experimentation, getting a feel for a matchup, or testing new strategies. However, because online has so many variables when lag comes into play, it's inconsistent, and feels like a completely new game compared to playing offline.

Generally, online should be seen as a testing ground or try things. You can definitely level up online but you need to use knowledge of the games frame data, hitboxes, and properties that work in an offline setting to maximize your experience. You also must be aware of the limitations of online, which don't encourage whiff punishing, anti-airing, and reactionary play as much compared to online.

How do you practice your moves? Do you drill one a session and go online to practice that move?

The traditional way of practicing usually involves learning combos or knock down setups. Then going either online or offline to practice them in game. As you get better you add more and more elements to your gameplay.

When using a character, there are many aspects you have to look at. Most players do the traditional format of looking up combos, trying to get down setups, and doing this continually to gain muscle memory. While this is good way to start, what good are your combos and setups if you can't even land them? If you don't have an understanding of your characters neutral game, or what tools you should be using in neutral to lead to potential damage. Generally, you should find your own method (so still practice combos/setups) but here's some other things to consider when practicing:

1)Learn your characters movement. You'd be surprised how few players don't go into practice mode in learn to stay in and out of their opponents attack range (or utilize character walk speed). Good movement can result in effectively whiff punishing your opponent, trip-guard, anti-air, feel comfortable against zoning, and baiting. Learn to stay within jump in range of an opponent and to step in and out of their attack range to bait a whiff.

Walking forward to pressure opponent to corner

2)Learn to punish. This is important in any fighting game you play. Learn what moves are punishable, and how your character can punish with the most consistent damage. Notice I didn't say max damage, because at times going for max damage can cause you to drop a combo (losing damage). You want to go with punishes that you can do 9/10 times consistently. Notable top players follow this method as well.

3) Learn to anti-air/air-to-air: Your ability to control the air is important because if you can control the air you condition your opponent to play the ground game. This is generally what you want; you want your opponent to respect your space you can control the pace of the match. One of the best ways to do this is by anti-airing or using air-to-air effectively.

4)Learn to whiff punish. This is your ability to walk in and out of your opponents attack range and getting them to overextend to whiff punish. You can practice this by recording a dummy to jostle and do pokes or normals they would commonly do in neutral, then attempting to whiff punish with your character. I can go more in detail but I don't want to take up 5 pages.

5)Practice trip-guarding. When you opponent whiffs an attack, they have a few frames of recovery when they land. You want to go into practice mode an see your character punish this (called a trip guard).

Do you train vs a standing AI? Or Very Hard AI?

Practicing against the AI is only as effective if you know what your getting out of it. The AI can read your inputs, and doesn't adapt like a human, which can lead to bad habits.

For example, in injustice I play against very hard using cyborg. The AI can perfectly hop over/duck every instant air fireball. In addition, the AI keeps walking forward; it never walks back in neutral. It also goes for late jump ins which are easy to anti-air. The AI at times will even whiff punish a standing jab.....A JAB!!! Very few opponents, if any, play like that.

Furthermore, a delayed DP worked almost every time, which I picked up the bad habit and got full combo punished by my training partners.

Not saying it's all bad. I learned to punish certain moves by playing the AI as well, as well as movement. It's only what you know you can get out of it.

When it comes to inputting combos, especially online, is it slow or deliberate or do you attempt to input them as quickly as possible?

Can't answer this since I don't have the game, but I'm sure someone has already.

Frame data. If you understand frame data, you'll know when a player is negative or positive on block. You then use this information to practice against such block strings, and know when to poke out with your fastest normal (or armor out of it). This applies to multiple fighting games, not only MKX. Doing this online can be difficult due to lag and such, so be aware of that.

Yet again, I don't own the game so I can't give you much help out the specifics but I'm sure someone has mentioned it.

I typed this really fast so excuse the typos. Hope this helps! :)

Last edited: