What's new

Question How do you start a match?

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
What's the first thing you guys do at the beginning of a match? Unless I'm in Atlantis where I can just jump off the railing and Soul Crush my opponent (probably shouldn't be doing that but it works pretty often), I never know what to do.

Sami

Noob
Back up and watch, then react.
Pretty much this. I started being "good" (okay, "better". I'm still terrible :p) with Raven when I started being extremely patient with her. Back up (just don't go full screen unless you can get into Demon Stance) and wait for the opponent to start doing stuff before punishing the hell out of it.

Yeah just wait for what your opponent does so you get an idea of what your facing then adjust. Be careful about stages with objects that can be thrown at you like the Fortress of Solitude Spiky Ice Ball. If the opponent keeps backing up, slowly push them as far back as possible to gain the advantage.

Wawa

Noob
changing it up every now and then will help you especially on local matches to keep them guessing.

usually, i go for ji2>f222. if it connects, i can do my full bnb which will do 44% and sets a good start for me.

sometimes, i open with a soul crush or singularity. the starting spots between the two characters are close enough to hit them with singularity. if they move back a bit, you will miss which is not really a big deal because they will far enough to do something about it or surprised enough to not react fast enough to punish. but if they do a jump in and you catch them with singularity, you can do MB>j3>f222>qcb2. That will do about 37% and again, will set a good start for you.

sometimes, just simply moving back isn't bad as well. if ever he does a projectile, you can easily block it and do a reversal with soul crush. you still get first hit which is always good.