What's new

Strategy How do YOU read your opponents?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
so ive been looking at footage and seen how good some people are at reading, how do you personally read?

for me it's noticing some basic tactics, if i blow them up for a string with a gap i expect them not to use that string for a bit.

ive been noticing that lately i dont really to read people that hard, i just see something and i suddenly remember it when its time to punish it, i used to have the idea that i need to remember when my opponent did this or that but now theres no need to have to try hard to remember it, i just notice it once, then by the second time it happens i confirm the read and punish it.

really curious to see how other people do this, how do you download people?

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
If I notice that my opponent does the same thing every time I do something, I punish it. For example, I was playing STB Sgt Reed, and we were running Cage mirrors. Everytime I did a 21 on him, he would cross me over. Around the 3rd time he did that, I NJP'ed him.

Tang94

Confirmed Seeker
Qwark28
Basically, reading can be translated as "guessing." In order to make reads, for me, it helps to know the matchup you're in. By knowing the strings that are being thrown at you, you can better make a guess at whatever mixups you might encounter. As far as making reads like, "they're probably gonna jump here," again, it's just a guess. Sometimes you'll guess wrong, but the more you play against human opponents, the more likely you are to make an accurate guess/read quickly and more effeciently. As Lumpymoomilk said above, it also helps to watch out for opponents' habits. Perhaps they always attempt to cross you up after finishing a safe string. In this case, you can read the pattern and the next time the opponent attempts a cross up, you could try a neutral jump punch, leading to a juggle combo.

Hope this helps. Just remember that it's all a matter of practice. Also, be careful that you, yourself, don't fall too heavily into habits, or your opponent will have no trouble in "reading" you! :p

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I start with the common misconceptions of tactics on fighting Cage.

If they actually know how to fight against Cage, I change it up by a lot.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
any and all forward movement is met with the fastest upknee i can mash out. that is all

RYX

BIG PUSHER
any and all forward movement is met with the fastest upknee i can mash out. that is all

NariTuba

disMember
Qwark28
Basically, reading can be translated as "guessing."
See but there is a difference between reading and guessing. A read has both rational and mystical implications (yomi). A guess however pertains purely to chance.

The fact that reading is beyond the rational mind doesnt mean it doesnt exist. The capability to forsee your opponent is based on applying ones deductive intelligence to the exchange of information between both players. This information can encompass a HUGE ammount of data, and evolves dynamically during the entire match. And it all happens at an unconscious level; which is why we go all mystical and shit :)

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Well, I play someone for many, many hours. I take these matches for granted, and focus more on my opponent's skill level and tech. During this time, I also record our matches, which I rewatch later in order to spot every mistake I made, as well as any pattern they seemed to have followed. Next, I write notes on my handy dandy notebook--each page is titled after a player's GT, as well as the number of the set we played. My notes essentially decipher my opponent's entire battle plan (playstyle, strategies, patterns, and gimmicks); at this point, I am quite literally "reading my opponent." Underneath everything I list, I jot down errors I committed that need to be remedied, as well as POSSIBLE solutions, which will later be implemented in the next set I play against this player. At this point, it becomes trial and error until I am able to 10-0 the player and make him want to quit the game. If I do 10-0 him, or he does in fact quit the game after our set, I whip out my rubber stamp, which is located in a very special drawer of mine, and mark his page on my notebook as "Raped." If he does not quit MK9, or manages to win one or more matches against me, I simply reward myself a letter grade (per set) based on several factors: overall losses, rounds lost, time taken to win, Babalities or Flawless Victories given, etc.

#IDon'tActuallyDoThis
#PigoftheHutMight

Flagg

Noob
I find with a lot of people, I punish something the same way twice to condition them. For example I'll land F3>>knife/ex knife with Kano usually twice in a row before they start to realise they need to block low, by which I might try an overhead or start going in for some b11, F11, B1, f1 pressure. B112 with Kano is also a very good whiff punisher and a all round good punisher of blocked specials, once you hit that into a combo, again, usually twice, that's when you start to condition opponents.

You can tell a lot by a player by what they do at the start of a round/match as well.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
reading them essentially would be when you know what the opponent might do and reacting to it, altho, you could always end up making the wrong read. Honing your reflexe's AND your ability to read the opponent will help immensely

sometimes, i'll play a distinct playstyle first round...and then completely change it around the second round. It can really confuse people.

CYracks

Command Grabber
Sometimes it's random guesses. With me it's usually a "feeling". I've played with a random people and first seconds of the round I called a crossover and NJP him. At the lowest fundamental level "reads" usually involve watching what the opponent does and anticipating it. At higher levels, I think you start to throw the people you fight into categories and fight them based on all the people you've ever fought. For instance: Player A fights defensively, so I'm going to try fighting him like Player B, C and D from awhile back. And being random factors into fighting games alot and it works. Also, changing the pace of the match of how you fight works to mind fuck your opponent. I've thought people were reading my mind sometimes.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Tbh, I'm terrible at making reads. I just run purely on random guesses and random tactics.

For example, I won't even decide what to do after a B121 until it's time to do something. Hoping that if I don't even know what im gonna do, then they will have a smaller chance of guessing it.

Occasionally, I'll pick up on of someone is crouch blocking all the time or trying to armor out of strings... But it requires them to do it a ton before I pick up on it. Lol

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
I will usually think about what a character wants to do then I run through player tendencies with characters, and tech that I am aware of. Once I see that they are doing certain things I try my best to find ways to force them to do other things which based on the rational thought of what should happen and what they could do I I make an educated guess. If someone shows me they know how to handle certain things I will change things depending on if they can do it consistently or if it was something random.

Tang94

Confirmed Seeker
See but there is a difference between reading and guessing. A read has both rational and mystical implications (yomi). A guess however pertains purely to chance.

The fact that reading is beyond the rational mind doesnt mean it doesnt exist. The capability to forsee your opponent is based on applying ones deductive intelligence to the exchange of information between both players. This information can encompass a HUGE ammount of data, and evolves dynamically during the entire match. And it all happens at an unconscious level; which is why we go all mystical and shit :)
I definitely see what you're saying. Maybe the best way to put it is: reads start as guessing. Once your guessing game starts becoming second nature (being able to know what your opponent is going to do before he/she does it), then you've crossed the mystical threshold into reading. lol I dunno. :p It's really hard to tell someone how to make reads, right? lol Or at least, how to get better at it.

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
After everytime i land a string i will either spin, jump, poke, dash back or block. Depending on what they have been doing i will react accordingly lol

When reading your opponent,you know the patterns or habits you opponent is using.But when your are face with a good opponent,and when I say good I not only mean one who can perform flashy combos but one who knows his blockstrings and can switch it up on you.He can condition you to block certain strings a certain way and as soon as you think you got him figured out,you try to poke out or wake up and he blows you up for it because he's changing it up.When playing opponents like this especially up close,it's more guessing involved.But from mid to full screen,this is where more reading is done from.The only characters that give me the most trouble when it comes to reading is scorpion and mileena.there is so much they can do from far off to blow you up from a bad read.For these matches against good opponents,it's really guessing.especially with scorpion.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Difficult question really, it just naturally occurs I guess.

Depends how well you know characters, possibilites, and best options for a situation.
Saying that though, I can read players in tekken even though I have no idea wtf is happening on the screen. So I just whiff punish.