What's new

How do YOU learn?

With every game for me, I learn the long and hard (insert inappropriate joke here) way. The first things I pick up are the very general things, like when to attack, when to defend, when to run, etc. After I learn this, my job is to make as many mistakes and take as many risks as I can. If you don't take risks in practice because you're too scared to use something, you could be missing out on something. After that, just practice, TYM, and using fighting games as an excuse to do homework later :D

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I learn by yearning, working hard, studying and doing well on my college exams.
I do well enough to pass and attain high marks and accolades.
I utilize this to obtain a decent paying job.
I obtain a decent paying job to save some money.
I save some money, and then relocate to a different state.
I utilize some of said money to purchase a smartphone with all the bells and whistles.
I use the smart phone to locate the shady, red light district in the new state I have relocated to.
I move to the state and use the money I attained from my decent paying job to rent an apartment.
After residing in the residence and neighborhood for some time, I leave at night to see who's who, and what's what.
After figuring out when the prostitutes come out, I schedule a visit for the next day.
I leave the house at night the next day and walk towards the prostitute at the corner.
I inquire as to what services she provides and at what cost to simulate a customer who is taking cost into consideration.
Having saved a decent amount of money from my decent paying job, the money is no object, and the topic is merely small talk.
The prostitute proclaims a price.
I accept the price.
I walk to my apartment with the prostitute and enter.
I lay on the bed as the prostitute inquires as to why I do not have a condom.
I express no wish to do so.
Agreeing to an increase on her rate due to the nature of our encounter, I proceed to have sexual intercourse with the prostitute.
After having unprotected intercourse with the prostitute, I contract AIDS.
Having contracted AIDS I am now HIV positive.
I make it my goal to stay HIV positive.
Upon my excursion back to my home state, I notice a 100% increase in my Injustice and other fighting game aptitude.
I am still HIV positive.

I learn by staying positive.

Grave__Intent

Death's Trusty Side-Kick!
I'm a video (visual) hound I study all the videos and then take it to the lab., and if I can't get it to work I tweek it and then if it still don't work I drop it.

SatsuiYesHadou

Yung Kneecaps
Early on I was an online warrior that played cheap as hell with mileena and win but then I decided to main cage because her bewbs would distract me too much sooooo yeeaaaa then I basically learned mk by just watching foxy and his cage over and over and looked at every small detail he does with him and how he handles himself in every situation. I also would watch curbo and dizzy a lot

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
The importance of Mirror matches is a bit underestimated.
See how others play the character you also play, see what they do different, and determine if its worth incorporating or changing some of your game to take a bit from theirs.
I'm a vampiristic pirate, I guess.

SkyratiK

The game session is no longer available.
I use both audio and visual elements to help me learn, and even to just pull off combos. It all depends on what I'm doing. Whenever I do Cyrax's b2, far bomb reset I use sound to know when to start the inputs for the bomb. When I do his other resets though I have to use their position in the air and parts from my character to know when to do 123~close bomb.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
I was just born hella sick.. (acutally i just ask @xSMoKEx just about everything i had problems with)

also watching tournaments etc and ofc u have to practice as well.. but as far as playing a match and resets etc im pretty visual with that too i keep track ammount of hits usually for scaling in the gravity also my spacing from them and while they drop a certain spot im lookin for (depending on the scaling ofc).. I like to have an extended f4 rather then a close one it's easier to judge the distance for me that way

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I downplay my character(s) and opponents so much that it seems like instead of me leveling up, they are all leveling down.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
i learn the best by talking theory with other people. it gets the ideas flowing and it also gets you thinking and compels you to start testing things out. knowledge is power.

Eh SnOwY

PC FGC
I learn by yearning, working hard, studying and doing well on my college exams.
I do well enough to pass and attain high marks and accolades.
I utilize this to obtain a decent paying job.
I obtain a decent paying job to save some money.
I save some money, and then relocate to a different state.
I utilize some of said money to purchase a smartphone with all the bells and whistles.
I use the smart phone to locate the shady, red light district in the new state I have relocated to.
I move to the state and use the money I attained from my decent paying job to rent an apartment.
After residing in the residence and neighborhood for some time, I leave at night to see who's who, and what's what.
After figuring out when the prostitutes come out, I schedule a visit for the next day.
I leave the house at night the next day and walk towards the prostitute at the corner.
I inquire as to what services she provides and at what cost to simulate a customer who is taking cost into consideration.
Having saved a decent amount of money from my decent paying job, the money is no object, and the topic is merely small talk.
The prostitute proclaims a price.
I accept the price.
I walk to my apartment with the prostitute and enter.
I lay on the bed as the prostitute inquires as to why I do not have a condom.
I express no wish to do so.
Agreeing to an increase on her rate due to the nature of our encounter, I proceed to have sexual intercourse with the prostitute.
After having unprotected intercourse with the prostitute, I contract AIDS.
Having contracted AIDS I am now HIV positive.
I make it my goal to stay HIV positive.
Upon my excursion back to my home state, I notice a 100% increase in my Injustice and other fighting game aptitude.
I am still HIV positive.

I learn by staying positive.

I learn by mainly watching other people play. I usually watch for little gimmicks and stuff that others do, if it seems to be viable, I get into the lab and try to find out why it should be incorporated into my game or not. Or I just get my ass kicked online and try to find what I'm doing wrong :) frame data helped me out quite a bit as well

I like taking the Alex Valle approach:

He doesn't go online searching for combos, or looking at how other people play the character initially. Instead, he tries to learn the character in his own way, and try to perfect, so he has his own style. Then later on he may look at some combos or setups and intergrate it into his game. I feel when I do that I remember the characters tools a lot better.

As to what I try to learn first when I play a fighting game I feel these steps are almost universal (for me at least):

1)Movement/Spacing (whiff punishing is universal in practically every fighting game. You get people to whiff with good movement which leads to damage.)
2)Punishes (which move for the respective character is their best move to punish with. Some games also have universal punishes like tekken "twin pistons")
3)Combos (this is to get high or max damage for punishes. I usually try to create my own/ then later on see what everyone else is doing)
4) Poking game (need to see how the games poking game works out. For example tekken has standing 1's and fast mids for the best pokes, for mk it was quick and long range low pokes and down jabs)
4)Setups and Gimmicks (pretty much the last part I look at)

When it comes to learning a new character I usually take these steps:

1) Movement (dash speed, walk speed, jump speed/arc)
2)Moves:
  • Fastest move
  • Longest Range move
  • Moves plus on block
  • Punishable moves (move that can be punish if your opponent blocks them)
  • Highest damaging move
  • Launcher
  • Best jump in attack
3)Combos/Corner Combos
4)Setups/Gimmicks
5) Other (just frame moves/etc)

Yep, that's how I break it down. Still free though, but I learn best this way. (also I'm a visual learner)

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
Ok that's my plan:

1. First I use only normals to get some memory muscle.
2. After I can remember and use any normals without problem, I start to learn combos and special cancels
3. After combos it's time for frame data
4. After frame data I usually try to learn matchups and punishment
5. next thing is advanced strategies, gimmics or other stuff
6. And last: practice, practice, practice

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
I like taking the Alex Valle approach:

He doesn't go online searching for combos, or looking at how other people play the character initially. Instead, he tries to learn the character in his own way, and try to perfect, so he has his own style. Then later on he may look at some combos or setups and intergrate it into his game. I feel when I do that I remember the characters tools a lot better.

As to what I try to learn first when I play a fighting game I feel these steps are almost universal (for me at least):

1)Movement/Spacing (whiff punishing is universal in practically every fighting game. You get people to whiff with good movement which leads to damage.)
2)Punishes (which move for the respective character is their best move to punish with. Some games also have universal punishes like tekken "twin pistons")
3)Combos (this is to get high or max damage for punishes. I usually try to create my own/ then later on see what everyone else is doing)
4) Poking game (need to see how the games poking game works out. For example tekken has standing 1's and fast mids for the best pokes, for mk it was quick and long range low pokes and down jabs)
4)Setups and Gimmicks (pretty much the last part I look at)

When it comes to learning a new character I usually take these steps:

1) Movement (dash speed, walk speed, jump speed/arc)
2)Moves:
  • Fastest move
  • Longest Range move
  • Moves plus on block
  • Punishable moves (move that can be punish if your opponent blocks them)
  • Highest damaging move
  • Launcher
  • Best jump in attack
3)Combos/Corner Combos
4)Setups/Gimmicks
5) Other (just frame moves/etc)

Yep, that's how I break it down. Still free though, but I learn best this way. (also I'm a visual learner)
For me its similar but in a different order and I just apply it to learning a game and character:

Combos: I aim to learning all the optimal follow ups off of all strings, specials and AA's first. At first I wasn't doing this 100%(well mainly the AA's) but once I started applying those it made a huge difference. Main reason for this too for me, is that now I can go for full punishes or follow ups from mixups/pressure.

Punishes: just all that is punishable; on block, between strings, armor through, as well what my own character can be punished for.

Footsies/Pressure/mixups/Poking: I feel these are relatively the same concept and stick to learning the spacing, speed and adv/disadv on hit/block

Tech: any kind of gimmicks, oki setups, crossups, etc. I put towards the end of learning a character

Meter management: something I notice a fair amount of players don't really pay too much attention to unless you've used someone like Jade, Sindel or Mileena in the past. Really just trying to incorporate any and all kinds of specials usage in combos/pressure or whiffing that still leaves you safe/neutral/adv and doesn't sacrifice much, if any damage. For MK, it was so I could afford to be reckless and random so I could breaker a punish if I got too crazy or for EX moves, and for Inj its for armor, pushblock, MB specials, and especially in the second round, to force wagers or prevent them because you'd have more meter

MU exp: I feel after you fully understand how to use your character is when you can really go HAM in fighting. Reason being is, you can always just jump into fights and hope for the best, but if all you're learning is what's safe and what isn't and can't exploit anything due to the lack of knowledge for the character, it seems like it'd take longer imo. For example, say you figured out optimal combos at least and got the footsies part down too, and notice a block string the opponent is doing is punishable by a move that you can follow up from. Imo you'd gain a lot more insight and reward being able to full combo punish(with a setup after possibly) as oppose to getting like a d1 and an attempt after